• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container plant sizes and container sizes...

Hi guys, of these pepper varieties, which would like a larger container the most?

Bhut Jolokia
Orange Habanero
7 pod
Trinidad scorpion
Birds eye

I've got a 6 gallon bucket, two 5 gallon buckets and the rest of my containers are 3 gallon. Just wondering the 3 largest should go to what variety. I'd be drilling the bottoms of course :)

I dont know which one would like the larger container, but I'd take a guess and put the one you want to grow the biggest in the biggest pot :D

3 gallon containers would suffice for all those, but 5 gallon ones would produce bigger plants. bigger plants=bigger yield most of the time. just my 2 cents :) Im sure some other folks can elaborate better then myself.

-Rich

Thanks everyone :)

After some thinking and your responses, I think I'll put the Bhut then in the 6 gallon, the scorpion and 7pod in the 5 gallon and the rest in 3 gallons.

I grow almost exclusively in 5 gallon nursery containers...I have grown Bhuts, 7s, and Scorpions in them and the past two years, all of them reached 6 feet tall and produced a bunch of pods...I will be moving up to 7 gallon containers this year for these varieties...and maybe enen a few 10s...

I would put the plants with the highest priority in the biggest pots.

BTW AJ, ive been looking for a good source to buy some nursery containers, would you have any suggestions?
I can order anywhere within the US, as I have an address there I can ship to.

I bought mine from here: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Elite-Nursery-Container/productinfo/CN-NCE/

Looks like they just raised their prices though. It was only $40 for 50 5 gal pots when I ordered, $54 now. Probably because more people are buying in the spring than the winter. I know a lot of people also go around to nurseries asking if they have any old ones they want to get rid of, or go to restaurants asking for any buckets they are throwing away. Might be an idea to try and save some money.

jacob

I buy my smaller containers from them but I get my larger containers from a local nursery second hand...very sturdy nursery containers that I will get several years usage out of...at first I tried the blow mold ones like the link and they were good for one or two seasons...my rough handling and the hot baking Texas sun just eats them up but 54 aint bad...I think I paid 47 or so...3 years ago

If you are going to use them season after season, IMO you need a much sturdier container if you are as rough in the garden as I am...if you touch one with a weed eater, it will eat a hole through it before you can move plus the molded handles break under the plants weight and you can drop the container (read AJ dropped 8 year before last and lost the plants)...the ones I am using now are at least 1/8" thick and probably more like 3/16 or 1/4"...

the problem with the new heavy duty (injection molded) 5 gallon ones is the expense...new, they are 5.95 each

here is a link for something similar that I use...

http://www.homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic.htm

I get mine used from the nursery for a buck each....bought 200 last year...I am going to need another 150 5 gallon or so this year and 50 7 gallon ones...the nursery wants 2 bucks each for them.....

another option for you is 5 gallon buckets...these people have new 5 gallon buckets for 4.77 each but if you get 5 cases (20 per case) the price drops to 3.60 each....

http://www.yankeecontainers.com/Items/PCI40BWHHCSSL-2.html

used 5 gallon buckets go for about 2.00-2.50 each...

I have got you all beat on the savings. :lol:

Think Recycled....I got about 100 5 gallon buckets, most of them are used sour cream buckets, pickle buckets and even latex paint buckets. I only have had to pay for half of them and that was only about $1 per bucket. Most of them were given to me free. If you ask around at your restaurants, local contractors and grocery stores, you might be able to get all of your buckets free of charge.

All I needed to be is a real good cleaning/sterilization and drill some holes for drainage and I have a nice collection of 5 gallon buckets.

definitely the way to go if you can...but...it takes time and I had to have them yesterday... ;)

jjs7741 said:
Looks like they just raised their prices though. It was only $40 for 50 5 gal pots when I ordered, $54 now.

That blows, I was waiting until I got closer to needing them before I ordered. That means my pot cost just went up about $40.

Yeah, I needed another 50 of the 5 gal too. I wish I would have went ahead and got all 100 back in December. Would have saved $15. I had to order some 1 gal containers as well because it doesn't look like the plants will make it another 4 or 5 weeks in the little 3.5" pots. There is already roots coming out of the bottom.

jacob

We have Firehouse Subs restaurants here and they sell their old 5 gal pickle containers for 1.50 a piece, and they donate that money to their Fireman's Charity. Worth it IMO.

I'd just pot the biggest plants at the time in the bigger pots and the smallest ones in the smallest pots. All the varieties except the bird's eye should grow fairly similar

You can buy Home Depot's 5 gallon buckets for $2.25 new. I can't afford to buy 100 of them but when you need a few in a pinch......

damnit you guys...now I am going to have to go to my local nursery and get some...later

well, it is Sunday, and it is cold, and it is windy (35 MPH), and I need some beer, and I really need to get out of this house...going stir crazy... :rofl:

Back