• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Planted a few things

OK, I hate to hobble around on one foot, though I can wear a fireman's boot and at least rotary till the ground, then use a rake to level it a bit. Plus, this summer cold is a real bummer.

BUT!!! I have managed to plant 100 seed potatoes, mostly Kennebeck and Yukon Gold, plus a few blue potatoes left over from last year's crop. Also got 25 peppers in the dirt: Hungarian Hot Wax, Banana, Bell, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Red Hab and Bhut, though I'm not sure which ones made it in the dirt and which are waiting for tomorrow. I do know I have some Fish and Anaheim to add to the mix. Should have about 50 plants in all.

My onions, peas, green and red noodle beans and the first batch of potatoes are up and growing. I got some free carrot seeds - not a single one has made the scene. No wonder they were a free gift - that is how much they are worth.

On a side note, about 50 percent of the barn I razed to make room for my shed has gone become embers. It is so much fun to see blue flames. The ashes should go well with the compost to spread over the clay soil next spring.

Pyromaniacs rule!!!

Mike

I am looking forward to trying Yukon Gold. Have you grown these before? This is my 1st time with them.

Brian,

No, first time for me also. But I heard good things about them, though they don't seem to be huge taters. I'm planning on canning a bunch of them if they are the standard size shown in most photos and what I have seen at stores.

Mike

This is our first year growing Yukon Gold but they are mighty tasty eating potatoes. I read that they don't take to hilling much because once they make potatoes that's all they get. I don't know if that's accurate or not but guess we will find out.

Despite a nasty summer cold that has drained all kinds of energy, and a medium-size car battery falling on my foot (smashing a toe or two), I have managed to get a few plants out. About 50 peppers: Bananas and Hot Wax, along with Long Cayenne were the most popular, but also had a couple of Jalapeno, Sweet Bell, Red Habs and Bhuts, along with one or two Paprika, Fish, Anaheim and Tabasco.

Moved on to the toms: more than 60 of them. Beefsteak, Delicious and Siletz occupy more than 30 of the spots. Maybe a dozen Green Sausage and eight Red Zebra. Interspersed among the rest of the room are Romas, Riesentraubes and Golden Monarchs.

Rain, sometimes heavy, is forecast for the next few days, so it seems like a great time to get the plants started.

This is the first time since I was a kid working on a farm that I've got tomatoes in the ground in May. Keeping fingers crossed this is a good omen - the past two years have been crappy growing seasons.

Mike

I better run out of room soon or I'm going to have more tomatoes than AJ does peppers! 72 plants so far, mostly Beefsteak, Delicious and Siletz but about ten Green Sausage (for salsa) also. Had to resow 10 feet of carrots and twenty feet of green beans as they didn't come up the first time.

Since I have room, I'll probably add another 10-12 toms, 20 feet of beans and 15 feet of carrots. If it is a good year and I can take care of the maters, I could harvest as much as four bushels a week.

Mike

Back