• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Planted SuperHot Seeds Today - 2010

Planted my Superhot seeds today...

Douglah - Pappy
7 Pot - Hippy
Scorpion - Hippy
Yellow Scorpion (CARDI) - Chris
Bhut Jolokia - Patrick (seeds from giant pod)
Fatalii - Seeds from my 2009 Plant

Seeds are all in a row, tucked in their beds and heated to 82 degrees. Used Premier Pro-Mix Potting and Seed Starting mix. Very light and fluffy which is good.

I'll start my Rocotos in early Feb and Annums sometime mid-Feb.

Looking forward to a great chili season in 2010!

Sounds terrific. I was just thinking that I need to get started soon too as those superhots have such a long time to maturity. You'll have to post some pics when you get some action.

Now comes the hard part: waiting for the seedlings to pop their heads up. I will be started my superhots in about a week or so for a mid to late April plant out. I can't wait to get this new season started!

I hope they sprout soon for you and you have a great season!
jacob

Nice video. I'm a rookie gardener so I'm always looking for tips. I had no idea people started their seeds this early. I plan on waiting until around early March to start my seeds (habanero's & bhut jolokia's).

Questions:

1. Does a heating pad placed underneath the plastic container really warm the soil up that much?

2. Is light really important while waiting for the seeds to germinate? I know that when the seeds sprout they need a lot of light.

For your habs and Bhut, you might need to start earlier than that. I started some of my peppers at the end of February last year and didn't get a ripe pod until August. It takes a long time to grow and can even take up to 4 weeks to germinate. My plants out date in around April 15th. I will start my superhot seeds in about another week. That will be about 12 weeks before plant out. Now my jalapeno, cayenne, poblano, and my tomatoes will not be started until end of February to beginning of March.

The heat mat does heat the soil up about 10 - 20 degrees. The ideal temp for germination is about 85 degrees so the extra heat helps the seeds sprout quicker. If it is cooler, it may very well still sprout, but it will take longer to do so. Light is not needed to germinate the seeds, but as soon as they sprout they need to go under the lights. If you don't they will get leggy and will not be as strong of seedlings. I have had seeds just start to poke their heads out of the soil when I went to work and by the time I come home, they have grow to 2 or 3 inches reaching for the light. This makes a weak stem.

Hope this helps and good luck!
jacob

Got my first sprout today! Yellow Scorpion "CARDI" from Chris wins the prize in 7 days!

Will be firing up the compact t5 lighting tomorrow...

Thanks for all the nice comments on the vid...will be posting more as time goes by.

:)

petey pepper:

nice job! I got a bunch of super hot sprouts as well over the past few days (I started Dec 28) and also used Pro-Mix premium potting mix. I'm thinking that soil does a lot to help the quick sprouting after hearing your success as well. Much faster than I was expecting.

Back