• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Planting two seedlings in one pot?

Hi all

I have two young black congos. Initially, I was going to grow only one plant and cut down the weaker seedling when they germinated, but I've changed my mind, especially since both seedlings are growing at the same rate and look great! Anyway, is it harmful to keep these seedlings together and pot them in the same container? Do I need to separate them? I'm afraid to split them for fear of damaging one of the seedlings.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Jenn , Ive grown 3 and 4 seedlings in one pot before they stood super small 2 should be max ive had good results with 2. If your growing indoors they might stay a lil small, but if your growing outdoors they should grow to normal size just make sure to increase pot sizes when necessary...

Here's a couple of threads for you to look at.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19917-clumping-growing-technique/page__p__418209__hl__clumping__fromsearch__1#entry418209

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22211-pics-of-some-of-my-chilis/page__p__460756__hl__clumping__fromsearch__1#entry460756

i am currently growing 2 of the same peppers in one pot.. ran out of room and just couldn't let one go... limited space has forced me to do that with a few varieties. i have done this before and the zom seems to be right... if i pushed that 2 pepper limit.. i got really small plants. mine are in 5 gallon nursery and HD buckets.

PS... i'll take a pic of mine if you take yours... :-) post in this thread if ya want.

Do you want two small plants or one big one? Just separate them and get two big ones. Peppers are stronger than you think and they'll survive the break up. Keep the roots wet and have the new pot or pots ready so you can do it quickly. IMO, growing two in a small environment will give you inferior results in the end.

i am currently growing 2 of the same peppers in one pot.. ran out of room and just couldn't let one go... limited space has forced me to do that with a few varieties. i have done this before and the zom seems to be right... if i pushed that 2 pepper limit.. i got really small plants. mine are in 5 gallon nursery and HD buckets.

PS... i'll take a pic of mine if you take yours... :-) post in this thread if ya want.

Here's a couple of pics of the black congo plants sharing a cup:

33c9e0g.jpg

33ttabc.jpg

Do you want two small plants or one big one? Just separate them and get two big ones. Peppers are stronger than you think and they'll survive the break up. Keep the roots wet and have the new pot or pots ready so you can do it quickly. IMO, growing two in a small environment will give you inferior results in the end.

I want two separate plants so I'm seriously considering separating them. Thanks for telling me to keep the roots wet. I think I'll give it a shot next week when they're a little bigger and see if I can get them divided. If not, at least I know other people have successfully grown two in one pot.

Thanks everyone!

I want two separate plants so I'm seriously considering separating them. Thanks for telling me to keep the roots wet. I think I'll give it a shot next week when they're a little bigger and see if I can get them divided. If not, at least I know other people have successfully grown two in one pot.

Thanks everyone!

I don't think it really makes a difference, as when they're smaller their root systems are less well developed and harder to damage... like it has been said, peppers are resilient. I've plucked extra seedlings from pots before and they've survived for a couple days just sitting out exposed...

Back