• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plantout Preparation, 4/5 April 2008

POTAWIE said:
Woohoo, what are you going to grow in the topsey-turvey's?
BTW I never fully trust a permanent marker in sun and rain. Best to have a backup plan just in case.

what am I going to grow...was going to try and grow some tomatoes and peppers...which varieties? that's where you come in....what do you recommend?....

agree on the backup for markings...worst case is the old label maker, name on it and a hole punched in one end attached to the pot by a tie wrap or something...

I'm still no expert on the upside-down growing but I say try anything with smaller fruit or if you can hang it high maybe a larger fruit variety would work and grow downwards more? It will be interesting to see everyone's results this year.

DrHavanger said:
have you considered mapping out your back yard with what you plant and where?

Yes sir I have, and that will be first second choice...problem is, as the season progresses and I see plants that are not doing so well in full sun areas, I will be moving them around...I already know the red savinas will not do really well in full sun so they are already taken care of...the Nagas fare a lot better in full sun than the Savinas but that is as far as I have gotten..

POTAWIE said:
I'm still no expert on the upside-down growing but I say try anything with smaller fruit or if you can hang it high maybe a larger fruit variety would work and grow downwards more? It will be interesting to see everyone's results this year.

I was thinking about a Jalapeno and Serrano in two of them and maybe a cluster tomato and some other kind of tomato or pepper...haven't made up my mind yet...

Wow AJ, you have got one sweet operation and of course one hell of a large one!!! Great Job and best of luck with keeping them all going strong!!

teh purple penguins said:
aaaahhh hahahaha. the dude has spreadsheets of plant data!! i would be surprised if he didn't already start to do that!

I map my garden. Oh, it's not some elaborate to scale via GPS thing, but I do write down in list form what's where.

Like:

Row 1...........Row 2...........Row 3..............Row 4

Almaparika.......Almaprika.......Criolla Sella......Cherry Chocolate

Lemon Drop.......Bhut Jolokia....Dedo de Mocha......Limon

Fish.............Choc. hab.......Grenada Seasoning..Pilange

and so forth and so on.

Nothing elaborate, just a back up on what plant went where.

Back