• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants are wilting, weird stuff, please help

Are the whole plants wilting or just the tops? I had a few plants tops wilt bit the rest of the plant was fine. They are growing new growth now

Update, or lack thereof:

I pulled all the afflicted plants. 3/4 did have damage to the stem about an inch and a half under the soil line. Didn't look chewed on but more burnt: discolored, darkened, and kinda "turned down... " also, all the plants had way less roots than I'd expected to see, almost like the roots hadn't grown since I transplanted from Solo cups... Not sure if this means they got ate or if that just failed to thrive but the leaves, trunk, and branches had all grown, sooooo... The 4th plant has a normal looking stem and the roots were still less expansive than I'd have expected, but the rootball was bigger than the other 3. Fwiw, that plant was the last to show symptoms... Maybe I jumped the gun?

I saw no bugs at all among the roots and immediately surrounding dirt, except a small centipede just outside the one plant's rootball. I looked pretty hard, too.

Only been a few days but the rest of the plants aren't suffering the same symptoms, although I do feel nervous as hell everytime I check my plot. Hopefully, predators and/or metamorphosis have removed the threat...

Still got other problems. Some of my Chinense plants have the whole spinach leaf thing going on. I am thinking it's a calcium problem? Also having flowers drop on other plants but I think that's more down to the heatwave than anything else...

Overall, I remain at least halfway confident, as I have a lot of pods setting and some annuums are even coming ripe. I'm also pretty danged humbled; I still have much to learn about growing these plants...

PS Walchit, it was the entire plant... They would wilt just like they had dried out entirely, and wouldn't respond to watering. By day 2 or 3, the discoloration would set in....

Gawd, I hope it's over.

RIP:
My only 7Pot SR
My only Congo Trinidad
1 Large Orange Thai
1 Jalapeño Concho

Update: looks like my Assam Yella Ghost had fallen victim, too. Drinking plant was starting to set pods and everything. I'm beyond frustrated with these mysterious fatalities

Stop culling them, and see if you can just trim back all the branches, and repot.  As if you were going to overwinter.

Are you sure you haven't been having a piss in the garden patch after a rough night out with the boys?

Bicycle808 said:
Update: looks like my Assam Yella Ghost had fallen victim, too. Drinking plant was starting to set pods and everything. I'm beyond frustrated with these mysterious fatalities
Seems eerily similar to what happened to me a few years ago. Here was Rutgers diagnosis.

50DEA43D-3F37-4AB4-8199-BECC048781F5.jpeg

solid7 said:
Stop culling them, and see if you can just trim back all the branches, and repot.  As if you were going to overwinter.

Are you sure you haven't been having a piss in the garden patch after a rough night out with the boys?
Definitely none of *my* piss, but we did have to put locks on the gates at the community garden, because teenagers and vagrants were drinking there at night bitd... But yeah, I think I've ruled human urine out as a cause, for now...

I pulled all the afflicted plants so far, and will likely pull this Ghost, too... As it seems to be a contagious kinda thing. A lot of local gardeners have told me it's moles, but I've seen no evidence of moles' presence at all...

floricole said:
Bacterial Wilt ???
Verticillium Wilt ???

you have to cut the stem and roots to find the problem.

all the seeds come from the smae place ?
Interesting question. . .

I got seeds from a few different vendors last year, plus various trades from THP members. BUT, now that you mention it, four of the five plants I lost to this came from the same vendor and this Yella Ghost was the first one to have come from a different vendor...

Once I cut the stem open, what an I looking for, exactly? I haven't pulled the Ghost plant yet but the other four are long gone...

tctenten said:
Seems eerily similar to what happened to me a few years ago. Here was Rutgers diagnosis.

50DEA43D-3F37-4AB4-8199-BECC048781F5.jpeg
Thanks for that lead... Good to know that removing the infected plants had been a good idea...

Fwiw, the beds where this has occurred drain pretty well. We did have a lot of rain in May, but it's been fairly dry lately and I'd say the soil had not been soggy for long...

I guess I'll pull this plant tonight after work and just kinds pray that I don't lose more plants, although I have a sneaky suspicion that I will. . . Most of the plants I lost to this were in the same bed and even close to one another within that bed. The sole exception was the first plant to show symptoms, which was in a nearby bed...

Bicycle808 said:
Once I cut the stem open, what an I looking for, exactly? I haven't pulled the Ghost plant yet but the other four are long gone...

Cut the stem open before you ask the question.  If wilt is present, you won't need to ask. ;)

solid7 said:

Cut the stem open before you ask the question.  If wilt is present, you won't need to ask. ;)
Yeah but I'm at work till 9p, do it's gonna be dark as eff, and I'll be out there with the little flashlight from my dang cellphone...

So hints might prove helpful..

solid7 said:
Thanks for that. From what I can tell, there is nothing externally visible on the plant. I'll see what I find when I slice it open.

Here's a pic of the Yellow Ghost from this morning. The plant has been showing a weird growth pattern from jump, but the wilting didn't appear until yesterday...

XuQSH2s.jpg

floricole said:
Based on what I've observed so far, I suspect it's bacterial but I'll take a closer look once I'm at the garden...

Dang this sucks because, in either case, they indicated that the soil might be semi-permanently infected.

I just thought of another possibility.

WALNUT WILT

Damage can occur where peppers are planted within 12- 15 m (40- 50 feet) of walnut trees or in soil from which walnut trees have been removed within the last several years.  Plants wilt and die.

Huhn... I wonder what kinda trees those are, right there by that bed?

But I really don't think they are, not do I think it matters. I think I got it from the seeds. Not sure if i'd mentioned this at the top of the these, but I had one Small Orange Thai plant go tits-up on me, the exact same way, while it was still in a solo cup. Never even got a chance to plant it out.

And yes, it came from the same source as four out of the five I lost in the garden.

I've had similar problems when it gets hot. The plants wilt, I water them, and then a certain % get all messed up, stay wilted, and often have brown gummy areas on the stems under the soil line. I always assumed it was the same thing as damp off but on larger plants. Not a lot of options when it's 115 though, I water them and hope for the best. 

Back