• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plastic for mulch

The landscaping fabric is pourus so the water can pass through it.

Black plastic is imperviouse to water so no water can get under it. If you have a soaker hose irrigation then it would be fine; otherwise I would not do it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I tried black plastic a few times years ago, but thought the soil under it becomes a bit sour
with no air contact. The soil is a living organism and needs to breath and transpire just like
we do, and so that all the little organisms that live in it can have plenty of air and moisture, too.
Also, I believe that the cyanobacteria (?) that live in the top layers of the soil need sunlight
filtering down through the surface. I know that folk mulch with plastic, especially in big
commercial plantings - I wonder if they pull the plastic periodically so the soil can recover ?

I used black plastic mulch last year for the first time, and it worked great. I will be doing it again this year. I live in MN though, and I could see the soil getting too warm in NC.

I use black plastic mulch, cause I despise hoeing, and It works OK, no complaints. Install a drip system, cover it with plastic and give it a whirl.

Believe it or not....Silver is the right color! Not black...also cures the potential soil too warm bit because it will keep soil a few degrees cooler.

http://growingtaste.com/mulches.shtml

It reflects light to the underside of the leaves plus repels aphids and other pests...there is a thread on here about is somewhere too. Something like a 20% increase in yield. The studies are impressive. In cooler climates they're testing striped black/silver with good results as well. I'll see if I can find the thread...

http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

i'm a commercial grower in virginia and use thousands of feet of black plastic each year with drip irrigation. in general your plants will get big enough to shade it by the hottest part of the year so the soil doesn't actually heat up all that much.

Biscoff is right, once your plants spread their wings and shade the mulch it just inhibits weeds and conserves moisture, but if you install the mulch a couple of weeks before your plant out date it will warm the soil, keep it warmer at night and give your plants an early boost. Black is best at warming the soil. North or South, warm soil in the Spring is good. Later in the summer when the weather heats up, the mulch is shaded out by your plants if all goes as planned. Just be sure to test your drip system before you cover it with the plastic. :)

I'm telling you its all about the silver plastic mulch! Out performs all other colors! Plus repels insects as well as pesticides do...if I was going to use plastic, silver is the color I would use...its been tested from California to Maine. Only problem for me is its not permeable...and I don't really want to change the irrigation system I am already using.

I had a mix last year of some plants in the ground with straw mulch, some in black plastic pots (10 gallon), and some hilled beds with black plastic mulch. The peppers under the plastic mulch definitely outperformed all others. We had an extended heatwave in St. Louis last year and the mulched plants still only needed watering once a week as opposed to everyday for the others. It also seemed to cut down on the heat stress. I will be trying the silver this year for a few hundred plants.

I had a mix last year of some plants in the ground with straw mulch, some in black plastic pots (10 gallon), and some hilled beds with black plastic mulch. The peppers under the plastic mulch definitely outperformed all others. We had an extended heatwave in St. Louis last year and the mulched plants still only needed watering once a week as opposed to everyday for the others. It also seemed to cut down on the heat stress. I will be trying the silver this year for a few hundred plants.

a few hundred...lol. Like Baker's talking about starting his 10000 plants...I hope to have a grow like that when I retire...got 150 acres to play with. I have my folks feeding the cattle heavily on the 10 acres I plan to start on...so the fertilizer factories are already hard at work amending the soil for me. I will spend the next few years learning my lessons vicariously through you guys, and with my small backyard grows. Keep me posted on how the silver does...I am thinking of trying aluminet shade cloth as a groundcover so I can water through it...

a few hundred...lol. Like Baker's talking about starting his 10000 plants...I hope to have a grow like that when I retire...got 150 acres to play with. I have my folks feeding the cattle heavily on the 10 acres I plan to start on...so the fertilizer factories are already hard at work amending the soil for me. I will spend the next few years learning my lessons vicariously through you guys, and with my small backyard grows. Keep me posted on how the silver does...I am thinking of trying aluminet shade cloth as a groundcover so I can water through it...
That shade cloth is going to be an awfully expensive ground cover. I know in my area if I put that stuff down the crab grass would grow right through it and I would never get it back off the ground. I hope to do a grow log this year with the silver plasticulture but I say that every year and I never actually have time to do it.

Yeah...for the $150 I would spend on that I would be better off with the real deal and soaker hoses I suppose...drip is out since I am in a rental and would have to use the system which also waters the lawn.

my problem with silver=
4'x 2400' black= $65.00
4'x 2400' silver= $148.00

still might be worth getting one roll for squashes to see if it keeps the squash bugs at bay. i don't really have any bug problems with outdoor peppers.

Yeah...but for us small time growers the 4 x 50 ft rolls are comparable at about $15. If you factor in the potential reduced cost of fighting pests along with the claimed 20% increase in production...could still be worth it. Especially if you can get more than 1 season out of it. If any of you decide to use it...I will be sure to follow closely.

For the difference in price the silver isn't worth it IMO, especially when it will be quickly shaded out by your pepper plants. Here's what mine did last season in one month.

Peppers 6-15-11
Garden2_6-15-11s.jpg

Peppers 6-25-11
GardenLower6-25-11.jpg

Peppers 7-2-11
Garden2_7-2-11.jpg

Peppers 7-9-11
Garden3_7-09-11.jpg

Peppers 7-16-11
Garden3_7-16-11.jpg

Not much light reaching the mulch is there?

i've just been having such a horrible time with squash bugs the last few years i think i'm going to try some silver to try to discourage them... bugs are going to be godawful after this warm winter...

i'll stick with black for the rest.

Wow SS! How do you even pick that! Love the progress of the corn and is that pole beans on the left? Impressive stuff...

Great looking garden there SS! Im going for it! I got my seeds soaking on the pad and plan on planting in rapid rooters around 150 peppers this year ! Lots of tomatoes ground cherries kale and PEANUTS ha ha! I guess I should start a grow log?

Back