• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please confirm my suspicions

I grew this plant thinking it was a Peri Peri or african birdseye. Now that it's big enough to tell I believe it is an annum. As far as I know peri peri's are frutescens. What do you guys think?
018-1.jpg

Actually Peri Peri is Baccatum.
PERI PERI (PI 497974)
Species: Baccatum
Heat: Mild

But world is full different Peri Peri almoust all species.
Depending witch country it is growing.

I think your right. I was spelling it wrong. Mine was suppose to be a piri piri african birdseye which I believe is frutescens but think the plant is annum.

with potawie about the diff.
From Dave De Witts chilli pepper encyclopedia.

"Peri-Peri see pili-pili
Pili-Pili Swahili term for the chiltepin, or 'bird's eye' pepper in tropical Africa.
Generically, all hot chile peppers in Africa."

"Piri-piri, see pili-pili. Also describes dishes made with this hot pepper in Mozambique and Kenya. In the Caribbean, a spicy hot Portuguese pepper oil"

Chililover,

I'm growing Piri Piri from Portuguese seed. Mine is a frutescens variety. Here it is... It definitely looks different than yours. I'm guessing you have an annuum...

Picture015.jpg

Thats what I thought, my other frutescens look like you plant too. I doo belive mine is an annum or a cross. I guess it's not a piri piri then.

chillilover said:
Thats what I thought, my other frutescens look like you plant too. I doo belive mine is an annum or a cross. I guess it's not a piri piri then.

This gets asked so many times it crazy,the reason for the confusion
is damn sellers,Piri Piri/Peri Peri= c.Frutescens,there is also two more variants `Jindungo` and `Sacminha`,Remember to Malagueta is grown in Portuagal/Brazil/Africa and again gets confused with
`Piri-Piri`,Bishops crown or hat potawie which is c.Baccatum and is part of the Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor, Orchid,the peri peri name is used because it is a common pepper in brazil and some peppers get the same treatment as c.chinese do in some Carribean islands..same name
so the real `Piri Piri is c.Frutescens :)

Back