• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please educate me

I know there are countless internet sites that I could probably browse for this information, but I trust all of you more. I've become confused by all the sites calling peppers something that contradicts other sites, so here is my question. What is the diffence between the Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Morich and Dorset and what are the relationships between them? I am confused by the information I have seen so far because I've had people tell me they are all the same pepper, while others have said they are not even related. I was handed a PC-1 as the hottest pepper and upon eating the thing and finding that it didn't even touch the habanero for heat, knew that people maybe didn't really know as much as they thought about this lineage. Fire away people, I'm all ears. (Not literally Iggy.....I figure without this little disclaimer the temptation to wisecrack would be overwhelming:lol:) Thanks all.

Thank you chilliman. What I am taking away from that is that it comes down to evolutionary change of one or possibly 2 strongly related strains of the same pepper. I appreciate the help and am glad to see that it is not a cut and dry area as this would have led to me feeling like a feeb for asking:)

That and really lousy taxonomy is the problem and, the longer you grow chiles the more you will wish for true taxonomic descriptions and names.....not going to happen until chiles become a high-demand crop.

JohnJBurfurkle said:
Fire away people, I'm all ears. (Not literally Iggy.....I figure without this little disclaimer the temptation to wisecrack would be overwhelming:lol:)

JohnJBurfurkle said:
Please educate me

Well, let's see: First the earth cooled. And, then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died, and they turned into oil. And, then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And, Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it, he took her best summer dress out of the closet, and put it on, and went to town.

imaguitargod said:
Well, let's see: First the earth cooled. And, then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died, and they turned into oil. And, then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And, Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it, he took her best summer dress out of the closet, and put it on, and went to town.

Classic!!

I bet that movie is as old as you are!! :lol:

imaguitargod said:

could you now explain the birds and the bee's papa imaguitargod? I don't understand how or why birds are trying to having sex with them.

Blister said:
could you now explain the birds and the bee's papa imaguitargod? I don't understand how or why birds are trying to having sex with them.

You see, it all started long before the ballon animals roamed the Earth. The Moon told the bananas that bees should represent the Imortal Goddess of Cream Cheese and only by mating with the birds could a level 10 wizard achive the covated Slime Finger of B'tha.

Back