Please help. FISH.

My personal fav is blackened mahi mahi.

Spicy tuna roll and seared tuna are a very close second and third.

Oh, and spicy fish tacos. Yum. Getting quite hungry now ...

MrArboc said:
Considering that the fishermen would be out of a job if they weren't allowed to fish, I know who I don't trust... Yes, agendas;)

Very true, however I know these guys to advocate a moritorium on some species when they do need it. No not ALL of the captains are like that for sure, a lot have the fish it til it's gone and then move on to something else, idea, but a lot of them are getting more conservation minded. No doubt there are fisheries in need of help, but very few locally (USA waters or off of USA waters) that can't sustain some type of commercial harvest.

Phadrus On Fire said:
My personal fav is blackened mahi mahi.

Spicy tuna roll and seared tuna are a very close second and third.

Oh, and spicy fish tacos. Yum. Getting quite hungry now ...

Theres a man know knows fish....what about wahoo? Spanish mackeral cevechi?

JustinNC said:
And do we base this off of what NOAA tells us or what the commercial/charter captains that routinely fish these species every day tell us? ;)....a big difference....remember lobbyist and agendas...i know of a couple prime examples right now

There are still plenty of swords....albeit maybe not the size class that they once were, but plenty. The by catch hurts the swordfish image.

Plenty of bluefin tuna....best it has been in years off of NC coast. Who wants a giant anyway? Footballs to 300lbers were thick off the coast from Jan to last month....meaning the giants are still out there breeding like mad.

Sea bass....Chilean? Idk?

Grouper....ask anybody that goes to the deep regularly....maybe not in Florida anymore....the Goliaths gotta eat something....why not a 20lber?....lift the moritorium off of the goliaths....maybe on a draw tag or over the counter tag per year basis....your snappers and smaller species of grouper will rebound. Know of a couple of different people that have fished Florida of recent years and at times they couldnt get their catch up before a goliath got em. Special interest groups are seeking closures to several reefs/wrecks for no apparent SCIENTIFIC reason...what better way to keep boat traffic out of an area than to shut down the primary reason for being there....grouper and sea bass fishing....we'll just close it in the name of the interest of the fishery. Helps to know people in the know on this stuff and to see what the fisheries are really like before coming to conclusions on their status.

Have the fisheries decreased....most certainly on a lot of things. With the exception of menhaden, and the species reliant on them (a lot) in VA and NC...I can't think of anything that is over fished beyond reason, other than large sharks. The effects of finning are taking their toll on the shellfish. Rays/skates eat shellfish, sharks eat rays, the Asian countries like their shark fin soup. No LARGE sharks, no shellfish. There are plenty, but not enough to keep the rays and skates in check. Finning is wsteful in terms of what is taken from the resources versus what is used.

You can have your talapia and farm raised catfish....after Ive seen how some and I stressed some talapia are raised...Ill pass. I generally don't eat anything I don't catch anyway. A waste of money for me when I have access to fresh fish.

Sorry TB...didnt mean to sound as if I were jumping your ass, just like to set the record straight from what NOAA tells us versus what is REALLY out there from the guys that use the fishery every day. Theyre smart, not like in decades gone by when they rape it til it's gone. They know if not properly managed, it will be gone, along with their livelyhood. If the guys I know that commercial fish and charter captains say it's alright, I have no reason not to trust them.

It's all cool and the gang. I don't rely on NOAA. My info comes from people I know in both the sportfishing and commercial fishing industry. In Alaska I worked for a sportfishing lodge owner who chaired the State of Alaska Board of Fisheries. I have also dealt with and fished with personally, a former assistant secretary to the Dept. of Interior whom now lobbies for both the sport fishing and commercial fishing industries. In addition I have fished with some of the top fishing guides in the Florida Keys, of which some are also holders of commercial permits. Having first hand experience witnessing the effects of overfishing by both sport and commercial fisherman, I prefer to air on the conservative side.

Oh try ceviche! The lime cooks the fish and I think you'll like it. Go to a Mexican bakery and get a good torta roll, add the ceviche, some avacado, and salsa. Yum.

Cevechi is the stuff.

Tb no doubt its not what it use to be in those species u listed. Overfished? Yeah. In danger ooverharvest at current restrictions? Dnt thnk so. Sure wud be nice to be better but its at a good happy medium I think frm what I'm told.

JustinNC said:
Cevechi is the stuff.

Tb no doubt its not what it use to be in those species u listed. Overfished? Yeah. In danger ooverharvest at current restrictions? Dnt thnk so. Sure wud be nice to be better but its at a good happy medium I think frm what I'm told.

Amen my brother. As long as there's cats like you and me and a few others always watchin', they'll be plenty of fishin' and CATCHIN' for everybody! Say a prayer for our fellow sport and commercial brothers down Gulf of Mexico way.

One of my favorite food bloggers just posted this: Pickled salmon.

Pickled salmon might sound really strange, but it's a very classical Swedish dish. The sweet-sour combination is spot-on, and it's perfectly complimented by pink peppercorns.

I would say that this is a great "starter dish" if you aren't used to eating fish. Since it is served cold the smell/odor is virtually nonexistent, and the actual fish taste isn't overwhelming. Salmon is also easy to find and cheap (it is here at least) so it's great to experiment with. It would suck to get something expensive just to throw it out.

I usually eat it with boilded potatoes and a yogurt sauce and it is one of my favorites during summer.

texas blues said:
Amen my brother. As long as there's cats like you and me and a few others always watchin', they'll be plenty of fishin' and CATCHIN' for everybody! Say a prayer for our fellow sport and commercial brothers down Gulf of Mexico way.

Amen to that....dad, bro n law, his dad, and a friend of sis and bro n law are out today off Cape Hatteras NC after cobia (ling to ya'll Gulf Coasters). Only thing is it is cloudy. Boats have been smashing them the past few weeks on sunny days. Most have caught more cobia already this year than a couple years combined............and they typically dont get to us until Memorial Day or after??? One boat put 62 over the rail up to 68lbs the other day. Not too bad for sight casting the big brown bombers. Haven't seen many large (80lb+) fish yet, but in due time.

Im waiting for Sea Bass to take off this season -- or I wish I could get my limit on Tautaug (Blackfish) before commercial fishing came in you could literally get a garbage can full of them

JustinNC said:
Theres a man know knows fish....what about wahoo? Spanish mackeral cevechi?

Definitely on wahoo and mackeral! Actually, I just trolled some wrecks out of New Smyrna, about 16 miles offshore, for king mackeral. We caught a couple of nice ones, filled 6 one-gallon bags with fat steaks, wish I had a pic handy. Caught a couple of small spanish for bait. And a nice snapper too, not sure if it was mutton or lane tho. I am sure that it made some tasty fish tacos tho! Caught loads of sharks too, at least 20. And they say their populations are low, ha! Love ceviche!My brother in law is from Peru, so maybe if I ever get to go to macchu picchu with him I'll try some real ceviche while I'm there.

Phadrus On Fire said:
Definitely on wahoo and mackeral! Actually, I just trolled some wrecks out of New Smyrna, about 16 miles offshore, for king mackeral. We caught a couple of nice ones, filled 6 one-gallon bags with fat steaks, wish I had a pic handy. Caught a couple of small spanish for bait. And a nice snapper too, not sure if it was mutton or lane tho. I am sure that it made some tasty fish tacos tho! Caught loads of sharks too, at least 20. And they say their populations are low, ha! Love ceviche!My brother in law is from Peru, so maybe if I ever get to go to macchu picchu with him I'll try some real ceviche while I'm there.

Best ceviche I had was fresh spanish caught from the Cape Hatteras surf, soon as the bite shut down, filleted them, dug the ingredients out of the cooler on the truck, and then threw it all togther, back into the cooler, and ate it that after noon on the beach on garlic salteen crackers with chile garlic chalula. Good stuff for a not so overwhelming heat.

not sure where your located but around here, Basa fillets are popular with the non fish eating crowd as the meat is quite neutral in flavour, you have to doctor it up with spices to get flavour, add white wine or orange juice for a nice flavour.

I would stay away from mackeral as it has the oily lateral line and when cooked......... well let just say the smell will linger for days .... you'll be popular with the stray cats in the neighbourhood and possibly neighouring neighbourhood cats.

I bake/panfry/bbq fish a couple times a week, usually atlantic salmon, trout, red snapper or sole, gold is usually cheaper to buy than halibut. I baked a rock cod a couple of weeks ago(I wouldn't recommend it for you) it has almost like a gelatin that comes out of the scales and sticks to everything. Once in a rare moon I will hot smoke a salmon-that has an interesting flavour. I found tilapia challenging to navigate around the bones, it wasn't filletted. Our local grocery stores usually carry a variety of frozen caught fish but I have chosen to stay away from anything caught in China or surrounding areas, they try to cater to the oriental community but until they get their pollution under control, I will stick with local product including vegetables.

what you need to do is come down here to Florida spend a few weeks, visit with a few of the florida members we have here and you'll leave addicted to seafood :)

as stated before I think the wahoo and mackerel although awesome might be a bit heavy as an introduction, I would start with steamed lobster and a butter garlic white wine sauce, grouper, redfish, snook (which you'd have to catch) snapper etc.. if you like talapia and shrimp then theres no reason not to like those I listed, I love seafood but to me talapia is meh.. I think you will find grouper to be an easy winner for ya.
oh and if you live up north and have access to walleye then theres another winner.
Just stay away from some of the stronger tasting fish until you start to appreciate the subtle tastes that different fish have to offer, kinda like peppers you dont want a newb starting out on bhuts because they will never try to eat a chile again lol

Steer clear of the oily fish species if you would like a more bland fish.
If making ceviche (yum yum!) use a firm, white fleshed fish.
If the fish smells (or its eyes have gone opaque) when you go to buy it, DO NOT BUY IT. Smelly fish is old fish.

Fish are regional, so here in AUS, i would suggest orange ruffy, barramundi and flathead as well as other species mentioned above.
Shark is referred to as 'flake' here and is good battered.

Fresh water fish are good too. We have farmed trout here.

Lobster is over priced and overrated.

If buying shrimp (we call em prawns) try and get green prawns, frozen or fresh, and cook them yourself. Of what I have experienced in previous visits to north america, shrimp pre-cooked are tasteless, watery and mushy (probably due to being cooked, then shelled, then frozen, then shipped, then thawed and sold). Easy recipes abound for garlic prawns, chilli prawns, creamy garlic chilli prawns, prawns on the barbie etc etc. (PS the tails if left on when cooking on the BBQ are lovely and crunchy!)

wahoo a bit overwhelming???????????? That's one of the things I love about wahoo is it's flakey white very mild meat. Takes just about any kind of flavor well, whether it's blackened, herb crusted, a citrus recipe, etc....I think it's the least fishy of any fish Ive ever eaten.

paulky_2000 said:
You can't convince someone to like something they don't like.

That's why I'm no longer married.
But your ex was a COLD fish!

I am sure that I can learn to like fish if prepared the right way. Thanks for all the help.

JustinNC said:
wahoo a bit overwhelming???????????? That's one of the things I love about wahoo is it's flakey white very mild meat. Takes just about any kind of flavor well, whether it's blackened, herb crusted, a citrus recipe, etc....I think it's the least fishy of any fish Ive ever eaten.

I stand corrected you are right I was thinking of kingfish :oops:

Back