• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please help with an ID

Hi,
I'm new here and a pepper lover, it looks like you all know your stuff, so I was hoping you could help ID this particular pepper. It's a Romanian hot pepper I've only heard referred to as "ardei iute" (literally "hot pepper") or "ardei iute verde" (literally "green hot pepper"). It's a very common pepper there and many people grow these in their backyards. The problem is the generic name - I've had no such luck finding them here in the states. I see other peppers people call "Romanian Hot", but they're nothing like these. My sister mentioned she's seen them called Albanian peppers before. Anyone here happen to know another name these go by? They look sort of like cayenne, but I honestly don't think they are. They seem to vary in heat and some can sometimes be quite mild. They don't get as hot as a very hot Jalapeno can, though they can occasionally be as hot as your average Jalapeno. Thanks in advance!

pepper.jpg

sarmalute-in-foi-de-varza.jpg

Welcome Skratch!

There are so many cayenne-type peppers that it's hard to ID one from a picture. Add in the fact that the same pepper can go by different names in different regions and you can get some real confusion over pepper identity. What were the heat and the taste like?

Welcome from Fort Worth...

what Pam said...

I seriously doubt it's the same "Romanian Hot" in the TCM picture. I have seen pictures from Romanian sites referring to this exact chile at "pepper", I would think "ardei iute verde" is a generic name for green chiles in Romania. honestly I'm surprised Romanian people eat hot food... I don't recall anyone in our house ever did. :shocked:
If it is a true Romanian chile (and not an imported one) it is likely to not be registered by name. your best shot is getting some seeds from Romania.

Hehe, yes, that's stuffed cabbage, known as "Sarmale" in Romania. It's the best food ever and it's normally made for Christmas. If you go order it at a restaurant, it's normally served like that with 'mamaliga' which is a polenta, and a green pepper. Most people outside of cities grow their own vegetables, and pick these peppers right out of the garden and onto the dinner table.

I too noticed a lack of spicy/hot Romanian foods, however quite a few people will munch on a pepper with their meal to get their heat.

As I said, the pepper isn't as hot as a typical Jalapeno, but the heat can vary. The taste is similar to Jalapenos or bell pepper. I looked at some other Frutescens pics online, but the Romanian ones seem to be longer in shape - dunno if that means they're a different species or just a variety of Frutescens.

So I'm going to try to get some seeds (I have family there with some growing in their backyards). If I do end up growing some, what more could I do to get them identified? Thanks for all the replies!

--Skratch

Order? Buy? I always make my own! IT IS THE BEST FOOD OUT THERE! lol, my father's Romanian.
mmm... you're best chance is probably the local Gene Bank (over there). it must be listed, so go check by what name. you don't have to physically go, you can find an email address and use that. they'll know the exact chile you speak of (you can include pictures) and they'll verify the info.

Haha right on, as a matter of fact, I made a big pot of sarmale this past Friday. I guess I mentioned the restaurant thing 'cause not all families will have hot peppers with their sarmale, but the several restaurants I've ever ordered from did. Anyway, thanks for the advice - I'm going to try to get some seeds sent my way.

--Skratch

Skratch said:
Hehe, yes, that's stuffed cabbage, known as "Sarmale" in Romania. It's the best food ever and it's normally made for Christmas. If you go order it at a restaurant, it's normally served like that with 'mamaliga' which is a polenta, and a green pepper. Most people outside of cities grow their own vegetables, and pick these peppers right out of the garden and onto the dinner table.

I too noticed a lack of spicy/hot Romanian foods, however quite a few people will munch on a pepper with their meal to get their heat.

As I said, the pepper isn't as hot as a typical Jalapeno, but the heat can vary. The taste is similar to Jalapenos or bell pepper. I looked at some other Frutescens pics online, but the Romanian ones seem to be longer in shape - dunno if that means they're a different species or just a variety of Frutescens.

So I'm going to try to get some seeds (I have family there with some growing in their backyards). If I do end up growing some, what more could I do to get them identified? Thanks for all the replies!

--Skratch

mmmm, cabbage and polenta ! fantastic !

was once a dish for the peasants in Italy and now served in the finest establishments...

served with cabbage, first steamed then gently fried with spinkles of chili flakes of your choice.

as well as some fresh italian sausage and fresh roasted bacon chunks on the side...

drizzle a little good olive oil, and add some graded parmasan..

deeee lish !

Hope this might help if I'm wright.Albanian hot pepper is 5" long by 1 1/2" long,plant have white flowers & mature from light green to red .If the size the same then you got it.I know where I come from Serbia we have bunch peppers look like that but never have chance to get it from Serbian agroculture institut in Smederevska Palanka where I was born.They promise me to send me bunch variety samples but they never did.
Vladan

Back