• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

please identify this naga type plant

i have one plant that i labelled as a fresno but in its place actually grew a naga type pepper plant.

can anyone help me identify what it is? these are the first few pods so i have yet to see one ripen.

P1000203.jpg

P1000204.jpg

P1000205.jpg

thanks all.

the reason why i think these aren't bhuts is because the plant doesn't have the same leaf shape as the bhuts that i do have. will try to post pictures of the foliage soon.

The Naga Morich and Doeset Naga aren't so different. I've had a Naga Morich strain looking just like Dorset Naga. anyhow, both of them are usually not so pimpled like yours.

i see, thanks.

maybe the tropical heat makes peppers get pimplier? (is pimplier even a word? lol)

coz i've had habaneros get pimply coz i've grown them in full sun. ie meltdown habaneros.

not super pimply, just a little.

i guess i'll find out when it ripens? maybe it's a choco bhut or something.

I had some Morich last season that look very similar as well. I’m growing 13 ghost types this season and would gladly compare a pic of a ripen pod to mine later in the season for ya.

Whatever it is it looks pretty nasty!!

Bihs are smaller usually well as far as i have seen. It aint no Dorset that in sure of they are shorter and not that pimply.
I love the look of it whatever it is.

Dorset nagas are just naga morichs given a fancy new name

Isnt the difference just where they were grown? Dorset and morich are towns that the strain (same strain) was stablized, differences can occur in different locations due to climate/care differences.

This was my understanding but don't hold me to it :P

xo nicole

Isnt the difference just where they were grown? Dorset and morich are towns that the strain (same strain) was stablized, differences can occur in different locations due to climate/care differences.

This was my understanding but don't hold me to it :P

xo nicole
Dorset is a place in Britain. that's where a couple started growing Naga Morich a couple of years back. it wasn't stabilized, as it was already a stable variety. it does look a bit different than most Naga types, but I've grown a chile from Bangladesh looking exactly the same. it is probably the same plant.

People seem to like making existing thing their own.

Dorsets are just Morich's that were "selectively bred" for 2 years. If everybody who grew a variety for 2 years could re-name it, there would be a lot of confusion.
As for the differences some have noticed between the Dorsets and Morich, I think it depends on your original Morich seed source. I'm sure different native farmers did selective breeding which over time has led to differences.

I know the Dorset story and i hate re-naming. I also dont buy the "selectively bred" jive, still love the flavour though lol.

thanks everybody for your inputs.

or maybe they're infinity peppers? i have seeds of those and i tend to recycle my soil when seeds don't germinate.

i'll post more pix tomorrow of the whole plant.

whatever these are, they're a keeper. =D

I agree with the others. Grew both the Morich and Dorset and they where identical.
As for your plant Franz. Very cool!

Back