• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please solve this prob & Grow list 2009

My Aji Amarillo isn't looking too healthy. The leaves are a bit yellow and hang funny. What disease or defficiency could this be? Magnesium?
3ef182a8b77e46e7b5e1a7c773a367ef

56cb99a8725d444dbdab64a78e213dea

What I have growing at the moment:

Trinidad Scorpion, Slim Hot Cayenne
Naga Morich , Chicken Heart
Dorset Naga , Birds Eye
Bhut Jolokia , Yellow Bouquet
Bih Jolokia , Lemon Drop
Chocolate Bhut, Aji Amarillo
Red Savina , Little Elf
Fatalli , Tabasco
Datil , Limo
Khorika, 923, 1556, WWT 1372, NM89c122 & others
Scotch Bonnet, Cluster Rod
Rocoto Red, Ndungu
Thai Hot, Cherry Ball
Chilli Inferno , Jalapeno
Hot Yellow Wax, Aji Gusanito
Red Habanero, Fish
Orange Habanero, Costa Rica
Jamaican Hot Yellow, Omnicolour
ROyal Gold , Black Pearl
Hot Tree Pepper , Blackbirds Eye
Rat CHilli , Dulce Nombres
Malagueta , Purple Leaf Heart
Diente de Perro , Purple Prince
Chocolate Congo, Blast
Bido Uchu , Lantern
Chinese Lantern , Yellow Squash
Habanero Rojo, Davie Peach
Miscucho Colorado, Chile Blanco
Chilito de Simojovel, and some more that I haven't identified yet

Most are seedlings that I have started late so I hope they fruit and make it through winter!
Trying to get a hydro setup in next couple months for my super hots.

Its very hard to overdose magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), but easy to correct a deficiency. Quite often there isnt a deficiency, but in the process of applying all the goodies, you apply one that works. A general fertiliser might help, or a balanced solution might work. Is it only on one plant?

McGoo said:
Its very hard to overdose magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), but easy to correct a deficiency. Quite often there isnt a deficiency, but in the process of applying all the goodies, you apply one that works. A general fertiliser might help, or a balanced solution might work. Is it only on one plant?

That is good to know, i didn't think it would hurt. Yes its just the one and i feed them all the same. Some of my other plants looked like that about a month ago and i did put on the epsom salts and then i found aphids and hae been spraying for them. This one doesn't have any aphids though.
Have also just given them a slow release fertiliser

I've got a similar problem with one of my Jalapeno M's. The leaves are very yellow, but the rest of the plant looks ok. I water all of my plants with plain water and haven't done anything different to this one. It was even potted in the same soil as all the rest, but for some reason the leaves are just going yellow.

From what I read on the internet, it can be attributed to over watering, improper drainage or over fertilizing. It also looks like a lack of Epsom salts can be added to the list. I haven't tried anything with it yet and wouldn't mind some input on this little fella.

chilis013copy.jpg

Neil

Blister said:
I've got a similar problem with one of my Jalapeno M's. The leaves are very yellow, but the rest of the plant looks ok. I water all of my plants with plain water and haven't done anything different to this one. It was even potted in the same soil as all the rest, but for some reason the leaves are just going yellow.

From what I read on the internet, it can be attributed to over watering, improper drainage or over fertilizing. It also looks like a lack of Epsom salts can be added to the list. I haven't tried anything with it yet and wouldn't mind some input on this little fella.

chilis013copy.jpg

Neil

That soil looks very wet?

buggedcom said:
does the pot have holes in the bottom for drainage? A tiny plant like that won't need much water yet.

Yep, it's got 8 holes about 1/4" dia. It seems to be getting some color back into the leaves now that I've put in some full spectrum light floro's as well as a grow floro. The rest are doing fine, it's just this one.

How often do you water / fertilize them? I water mine once every other day with just approx 100-200ml of water, less for the smaller ones as the uptake won't be as much. That said I only begun last year myself so I'm no expert but by the look of your pot it seems as if it's too much water.

Thanks for the reply bugged. I'm leaning towards the 'too much water' conclusion. I haven't really measured out the amounts of water given, but I am going to cut back on the amount and switch up to an 'every other day' schedule.

I haven't given any amount of fertilizer yet. I'm still poking around the site trying to find one that's suitable and available to me. I did find some basic info from the chili pepper institute of New Mexico that recommends a balanced formula of 15-15-15, but I've also noticed that there are numerous people here using considerably different levels. I'm going to keep reading and go from there :).

Neil

When I was learning how much water the plants needed I let the leaves go droopy and as soon as i noticed i watered them straight away. I gradually increased the amount of water given and sometimes teh frequency untill the leaves no longer became droopy and stopped the increase. As the plants have gotten bigger I let the leaves go droopy again and started the process over. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it but hey it's worked for me. And they say chilies love abuse.

7-4-9 would be better forgrowing plants, as the high N will encourage lots of growth. 15-15-15- would be good for flowering stage, but the plant could well grow and flower just fine on either one.

I'd say it's could be a problem with the lighting - too close/intense at too young? Are the other plants older? The baby leaves look just fine and usually overwatering will effect the entire plant.
YMMV

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I check on my plants about 20 times a day :), I'm going to try the wilt and water technique you mentioned bugged. I'll hold off on the fertilizer for now and see how things go.

The lights are about 2" above the plants. I have two sets of two tube floro fixtures (4 lights in total). One has a Sunstick that provides the full light spectrum, and a grow light. The other has two Sunsticks.

They are all roughly the same age. I have some others in a separate tray that are younger. This little guy kind of threw me off as it's the only one that has yellow leaves so I'm not sure what's going on. All the others are a nice healthy looking green. I'll have to keep an eye on it for the next little while and see what happens.

Back