• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please tell me about fans

HwyBill

Banned
What is their purpose?

Are they for providing air circulation, or for cooling the heat from the lights?

It looks like 3-6 of my sproutlings have dropped in the last 24 hrs. Some other look like the leaves are curling up. The plants look slightly yellowish, and I had been watering them daily (and generously). I've heard this is way too much for sproutlings, and the yellowing is a sign of overwatering.

I bought a thermometer today, and it looks like the corners of my light box are in the upper 80s. I've heard not to go above 85. I put a fan on the box (not the plants) to try to cool it down, and it seems to be getting the temp. down below 85.

Is this the right thing to do? What are fans for?

fan help to give some movement to the plants and help them become tougher (stiffer trunk)
also they balance temperature and help cooling plants to near from the light (if the light souce is very hot)
also help polinating flowers
and good against mold since it help with humidity

fan help to give some movement to the plants and help them become tougher (stiffer trunk)
also they balance temperature and help cooling plants to near from the light (if the light souce is very hot)
also help polinating flowers
and good against mold since it help with humidity

I use mine for the mold that started in my plants. I have a very humid house, I didn't want to lose the heat so I turned on a heater and a fan to give me some dryer air. Boom, no more mold. Of course I also bottom feed now too.

Well, I've been wanting to bottom water/feed, since that seems like what a lot of the good growers do. And it looks like I am going to get the chance, since I seem to be killing this crop off real quick like :banghead:

Dude that sucks! What's going on with them? Not that I can help much as I'm a nube grower, but there's a few members that have helped me a lot already.

They are probably doing that from being overwatered. Fans help with humidity, air circulation, and stronger stems.

What service do you use to post pics on this site? I could post some pics, which I think would be most useful.

Looking a little yellow, leaves are shriveling, and some are falling over. My best guess is that I have overwatered, and also given them too much heat.

The compensatory good news is that I have plenty of seeds for most varieties, so I have been replanting tonight.

Hope so Dulac.

I feel like I should re-name this thread to "A Comprehensive Guide to Over-Watering"

I think I definately have been.. From what I understand, that is maybe why the plants seem to have taken on a yellowish tint. I have been generously watering sproutlings daily, and it seems that is too much.

Think I was giving too much heat also.. only reason I can think of their leaves would retract and curl up.

I agree with the other members on fan usage. Over watering is definitely a big killer with supers. Try not to love them to death like so many others do.

Actually.. almost none of them are superhots. I have a row of habeneros and 2 cells of bhut jholokias, but the rest are just seeds I've been able to collect in garden centers/dried seeds from pods I've found in local grocery stores.

I am just basically shitty at growing anything. I am a good chef, and a molecular geneticist by trade, so I am good at following recipes/protocols, but I can't grow a plant to save my damn life. Sucks.

I got some better lights, so I am going to focus on less heat and less water this next time. I appreciate all the help and advice, because clearly I am a retard when it comes to growing peppers.

I re-planted 12 new varities tonight, so hopefully I will have some more success this time around. I really enjoy consuming the peppers (which is why I started "trying" to grow them), and I really enjoy trying to grow them as well. Just frustrating my efforts so far are such fail.

First, a lot of growers use photobucket to post photos. In the announcement and suggestions forum there is a thread on posting photos.

Fans serve a few purposes, but mostly they make the plant stronger at the stem and allow them to produce better yields once planted out. Also they create airflow whiche brings the temps down a few degrees and allow a more well rounded growing environment.

What you are describing (to me) is overwatering. I fought this battle for an entire month and killed about 150 seedlings. If you check my GLog (the pages up until about 7 are documented failures due to overwatering and bad soil. Yellow stunted growth and damping off was common.

I switched to top watering and better soil and it worked for me. A lot of growers are not fans of top watering and i only used it until I potted up. In hindsight I could have continued bottom watering but letting it soak is a big no no. If you are bottom watering you wanna make sure that you only give enough water to wet the soil under the surface. You wanna avoid giving so much wager that it saturated the soil. Also let it dry in between each watering.

Pics may help but overwatering is hard to Id from but the symptoms sound like the past month of my life.

If the room is cool'ish and the T5's don't emit heat will it be to cool for the established crop or still enhance the program ? By cool I mean apprx 20c so double that and add 30 degrees to get F ?

You're basically just mimicking natural conditions with fans, with the added benefit of strengthening the stems because of it. It makes the process of hardening off go that much smoother. Personally, I like to keep a fan running most of the time on low just for air circulation, and then for a couple hours on a higher setting to stress the plants a bit. Gotta make sure they're tough before planting them out... :snooty:

You're basically just mimicking natural conditions with fans, with the added benefit of strengthening the stems because of it. It makes the process of hardening off go that much smoother. Personally, I like to keep a fan running most of the time on low just for air circulation, and then for a couple hours on a higher setting to stress the plants a bit. Gotta make sure they're tough before planting them out... :snooty:

+1

A saturation of oxygen around the stomdas happens because plants produce oxygen. When there is no gas exchange due to no fans/ air flow the plant can not get needed co2 from the natural air, 700 ppm I believe it is.

Back