• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Pod ID please.

I bought a sad and sick little plant from the market that was growing in an old Tuna tin.. It had a red pod on it which I took a bite out of..Pretty decent heat and flavour was OK... Looked a bit like a tiny pumpkin.
Slowly potted it up and pruned it etc and the pods have arrived 3 months later..
I.D please.

CAPCOM said:
looks a lot like a Brazilian starfish. Could be a scotch bonnet of some type.Hard to discern from pic.
What did it taste like?

That was 3 months ago so cant really remember ..Tasted Ok from memory with some heat.
I`ll wait for these to turn red and give a taste review..
I`ll take some more pics after Xmas.
Cheers,
Fred.

D3monic said:
looks a lot like my bolsa de dulce pumpkin pheno too but honestly you will never get a definitive answer

Why?? Could it be an unidentifiable hybrid?...Pretty much a noob grower so forgive the question.. learning as I go..

Some more Pics taken this morning.

D3monic said:
it's just there's tons of pods that look like that. Pic of a flower would help determine if it's a baccatum or ect though
Right,thanks,good idea.. Looks like a few flowers will be out in the next couple of days..Will post pic then..

D3monic said:
I also agree on looking like Brazilian starfish
Just looked that up..Quite a few plants on Google under "Brazilian starfish" but some plants have distictly different looking leaves..
This one looks damned close though..
Brasilian_Starfish.jpg

Its a annuum by the flower and the color tells me that it has crossed with a purple annuum at some point, the pods look like a Hungarian paprika the heat may be coming from the cross.  Do the pods have thick or thin flesh?  At any rate its some sort of cross so I doubt that a name could be stuck to it.
If it tastes ok I would keep seeds of it and try and grow it out and select the best pods by what you want them to look like and go from there.

wildseed57 said:
Its a annuum by the flower and the color tells me that it has crossed with a purple annuum at some point, the pods look like a Hungarian paprika the heat may be coming from the cross.  Do the pods have thick or thin flesh?  At any rate its some sort of cross so I doubt that a name could be stuck to it.
If it tastes ok I would keep seeds of it and try and grow it out and select the best pods by what you want them to look like and go from there.

Thanks man.. I`ll post pics when they are red and I`ll cut one open to let you lot look inside..
Appreciated.

wildseed57 said:

Yeah. I was leaning toward Pitanga until I saw those leaves and flowers.

Caylix looks C.Annuum.
I'd guess a Cheese Pepper/Paprika type thing.
Starfish are Baccatums.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/pepper-varieties/red-cheese-peppers

I have several Cheese and Apple peppers that look like them.

Never heard of a Thai Pumpkin....
A vendor or bloggers re name?

I really don't know,I'd bet,no matter what the name is,it is an Annuum,Paprika type pepper.
Bud looks like a cross-Purple tint buds...

I'd guess a possible Hybrid.
Thai might be right,my stash has a lot of stuff that comes from Thai labs.
Not GMO's,just crosses that are cool for the market.
Like White Thai.
Commercial seeds grow white pods,even isolated plants seeds grow white pods that turn red...

Thanks again for all the helpful comments..
As Promised a couple of Pics... Taken today..
Taste is as sweet as my orange Habs but with less heat..I`d say 38,000 SHU is about right..The heat does build a little though and lingers!! Good tasting pepper IMO.

I`m happy with the Thai pepper I.D BTW... It`ll do!

Back