• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pod Shape/Color Variation of Seeds Grown from One Pod...

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
There seems to be a lot of discussion lately about pod shape and color variation so I wanted to open a thread to discuss this point and hope every one reads this...

First off, there is no guarantee that the seeds you plant will result in the pod shape of the parent unless the plants those seeds came from have been carefully monitored and isolated...

There are many many "new varieties" out there but IMO most of them are just a "variation on a theme" so to speak...I am not going to get into a "genetics" discussion here because I am not planning on doing any "genetic" testing...

I selectively grow my plants from seeds I have "chosen" from last years grow...very rarely will I grow seeds from someone else...I know where my seeds come from and know what variation to expect...

Here is my seedstock from last year of a "yellow scorpion" that grew in my Mississippi Scorpion Project (1760 Trinidad Scorpion plants raised in total isolation)...one plant had yellow pods and tails so I kept some for this years grow...

IMG_0853.jpg

and these are the pods on 12 different plants from those seeds...

06-03-12a010.jpg
06-03-12a011.jpg
06-03-12a014.jpg
06-03-12a015.jpg
06-03-12a016.jpg

continued

06-03-12a017.jpg
06-03-12a018.jpg
06-03-12a019.jpg
06-03-12a020.jpg
06-03-12a021.jpg
06-03-12a022.jpg
06-03-12a024.jpg

as you can see, none of the pods from this years plants are an exact match for the parent pods...

Very interesting observations, AJ. Have you noticed any difference in the plants themselves, such as a more vertical growing habit vs. a bushy one or anything like that?

I don't think these plants will ever cease to amaze...

I know I'm a noob to the pepper scene,but I still have a brain(not a yellow brain strain tho). My brain understands this as,well think of humans. I know its not 100%,and may be 100% untrue....

But pods being different from plant to plant,is like everyone in my family. Sure we are all of the same "tree"traits. We all have some similarities( eye brows,nose,hair,forehead),but differ from person to person. Then every once in awhile....A ginger sneaks into the party LOL( don't get butt hurt..google joke)

I know plants and animals are different, but when nature replicates something,it changes over time a little. Yes some of us will look exactly like the ones who have come before us,and some will look like the milkman's kid.
Am I understanding this correctly?

You can't predict what Mother wants.....You just say Yes ma'am and move on LOL

So am I understanding this correctly? or even close...

AJ I notice pod variation on the same plant. This is common also yes? Seems to happen a lot on the super hots. Other annuum types that have been around for decades I notice little variation. Maybe only when the season is about to end I see a difference.

These are immature pods from the same node
2012-05-31_17-59-48_59.jpg

Hi thank you guys for posting….

The small round pod you are posting Pr0digal is deformed… it happens sometimes it is formation deficiency this mainly happens in the early stages of production
This pod will not get any bigger and it will turn red this size… also it will not have but few seeds in it like 4 seeds….
When I see them I just pick them off and throw them.. They are just using nutrition

Hi thank you guys for posting….

The small round pod you are posting Pr0digal is deformed… it happens sometimes it is formation deficiency this mainly happens in the early stages of production
This pod will not get any bigger and it will turn red this size… also it will not have but few seeds in it like 4 seeds….
When I see them I just pick them off and throw them.. They are just using nutrition

Hey I was the black sheep of the family,and I turned out just FINE!!

At least I think so :)

Regardless they are sweet looking pods, I noticed the same thing on my TS, I read the distinct shape (say on a Scotch Bonnet and or a Scorpion) happens when the dried petal ring pinches the pod for awhile causing a distortion of the pod.

Prehensile - that would explain the weird pod shapes on one of my orange hab plants... Its been consistently throwing pods with a stinger. IF geneticaly it just has a stronger petal ring, perhaps this is the cause... Regardless thats my seed stock for orange habs next year haha.

Interesting....

The yellow TS's were the result of either cross pollination or genetic mutation, right?

I don't grow them anymore but my own personal experience with TS is that they displayed prominent pod to pod differences on the same plant. More so than with any other peppers i've grown.

It will be interesting to me if they ripen to yellow....

good comments all...I have not tried any of this years pods but last years pods were superhot and had a scorpion taste...matter of fact, I could not tell them from the red scorpions...

I definitely do not know everything about growing peppers but my observations of them and their traits over the past 5 seasons have given me some pretty good insight..

now, let's talk yellows....when the scorpions and 7 pots first were available on a fairly large scale, most were red...and in my opinion, the yellows were not genetic mutations rather they were crosses with an unknown yellow variety...with that being said, I have been growing yellow 7s for 4 years, the plants make trees and routinely reach 5-5.5' plus in a 5 gallon container (I have a very long grow season (March-first of December)...the point I am trying to make I suppose is that the yellow varieties have not been grown long enough to develop the stability I like in my seedstock...

As I posted on another thread, the only way you can get what you want is to start with something similar (or exactly) to what you want and develop you own seedstock...

variation of pod shape is rampant in the superhots as has been said IMO...why...from growing non-isolated seedstock...to me pod shape doesn't matter much for cooking but I do save seeds from the best shaped pods with hopes of getting a really stable pod type to grow year after year...

a good example of this that I have also experienced is the yellow/red/chocolate fatalii's...the reds I grew had good flavor and no heat, the chocolates I grew looked like a fat cayenne and had an earthy taste (read dirt) with a little heat...the yellows were simply a Fatalii...so....I don't grow any red or chocolate any more...

Makes sense. Its why my son has blonde, loosely curly hair. My wife and I have light brown and straight hair.

Maternal grandfather, though...

And no, the postman (who is a woman) does not have these traits. I know you guys all too well.

i looked for some cientific explication to it and found this abstract;

in short; it seems its normal with a lot of variation within all tested chilis

.http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search/display.do?f=2008%2FCO%2FCO0702.xml%3BCO2007000082

To determine the qualitative and quantitative variability of 111 populations from the national Capsicum germplasm collection, an experiment was carried out to analyse C. annum, C. baccatum, C. chinense, C frutescens, C. pubescens, and C. spp. (wild) at CORPOICA'S "La Selva" Research Center located at Rionegro (Antioquia, Colombia). A list of descriptors with 69 characteristics was used: 47 qualitative and 22 quantitative. A wide qualitative variability was found with 45 out of the 47 variables being polymorphic; and 146 descriptor states (morphoalleles) out of the 176 recognised and published. This indicates that in the metapopulation on the average there are 3.1 morphoalleles per variable, with a range at species level between1.5, in the wild species, and 2,6 in C. annum and C. chinense. The qualitative phenogram indicated a minimum similarity of 48 porcentage between accessions, which considered jointly with the porcentage of total morphoalleles, points out the diverse variable arrangements at individual populations level. Quantitative variability was observed at the metapopulation level for all registered characteristics. The quantitative variability was mainly related to fruit attributes for domesticated species, and with foliage characters for wild populations. Fruit attributes related to bird attraction for seed dispersion contributed significantly to quantitative variability. The wide qualitative and quantitative variability studied in Capsicum populations point out the potential of the evaluated germplasm for breeding purposes

I would also comment that I see pod to pod variation with 7 pots also but not nearly so as with TS. To me, 7 pots seem to be more stable. And although not a big fan of TS flavor, I really like the way they have more of a tree shape with an interesting wide canopy..

agree with you 100% Bob...

Back