• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Poinsettia pepper

I decided to start some poinsettia peppers for the Christmas season since people are already asking me for ornamental pepper plants. Has anyone here ever tried this variety? I'm wondering mostly about the taste. I'm pretty sure they will grow nicely under fluorescent lighting or at least I hope.

Here they are just over a week old.

POTAWIE, I grew some this year they did very well under the fluorescents but not so good in the garden. They were one of many that I potted and my pots did not do so well this year I think it was from lack of nutrients.

Dale

Potawie's poinsettia pepper progress

The little ones are doing well. I just repotted them although I could have left them another week+. I should have started more since I've had quite a bit of interest in them.

These are about 20 days from starting seeds.

I wish I could give pepper plants as gifts, but nobody else in my family has a green thumb or thinks they are as special as I do. I need more ornamental kinds I guess.
Maybe as a group of 4 or 5 different kinds they would appear to be a more attractive offering.
BTW, that one 20 day baby in lower right looks odd, I would like to see more pictures of it when it gets older to see if it's pods and leaves are different than the rest.

Here's an update on the Poinsettia peppers. They are starting to flower now at around 6 weeks. I was going to give them away for Christmas presents but decided to wait for some pods to form first so they will make nicer looking gifts. Next time I'll start them a bit earlier.

Here's a pic of the best looking poinsettia with a nice flower cluster on top. I need to give some of these away soon so I'll have more room for the next round of peppers.

Nice Poinsetta Pepper POTAWIE. Are the peppers red and are they hot?

Actually my camera isn't very good at close-ups at all. I have to take further away pics and crop/edit them. I have a better camera and tri-pod but I'm really just into quick snapshots and not into fussing with features.

Back