smokers Post your Smoker/BBQ/Cooker pics here

Danorth, nice looking spread but I'm quite interested in the foil pouch with the wood chips, I have a Traeger Texas  but am disappointed with the amount of smoke flavor from it, so much that I haven't even used it this year, please if you don't mind, tell me what you did.

Sure thing. I like a strong smoke flavor as well and pellet grills do provide a smoke flavor, but not always enough for some of us. So, I take heavy duty foil, fold it over to make it twice the thickness and fold up the sides to make a shoe box lid looking boat. I get thhe big roll of Reynolds from Costco, nothing special. Then I get natural charcoal (that blackened looking wood) and douse it with lighter fluid. Let it go 15 min. Then I place it into the smoker or any grill to be honest (gas ones have to be be sealed up to keep the smoke from getting out and you have to elevate the meat). Once in the grill/smoker I take hickory chunks, not chips, and place a handful on the charcoal. Then close the lid. Too much air and it won't smoke, but will ignite the chunks. Then add a handful every 30 minutes. For most thick meats and ribs I smoke for 1.5 hours. Then foil everything up and 225* it for however long it takes to get the meat to the temp you want.

I'll play. My main smoker is my UDS that I built. With it I always use my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 to keep it at whatever temp I want. Together I can run the smoker over 24 hours without ever touching it if needed. Usually for my smokes like a big pork butt or something I will start it around 5-6pm and let it run over night so that the food will be ready for lunch the next day. I also like it because it is somewhat portable and has accompanied me on many trips.

photobucket-3746-1332458568140.jpg

AB2A0EA0-76C8-4F2F-B566-463BAD787D49.jpg

IMG_08201.jpg

IMG_20130914_170151_720.jpg

danorth said:
Sure thing. I like a strong smoke flavor as well and pellet grills do provide a smoke flavor, but not always enough for some of us. So, I take heavy duty foil, fold it over to make it twice the thickness and fold up the sides to make a shoe box lid looking boat. I get thhe big roll of Reynolds from Costco, nothing special. Then I get natural charcoal (that blackened looking wood) and douse it with lighter fluid. Let it go 15 min. Then I place it into the smoker or any grill to be honest (gas ones have to be be sealed up to keep the smoke from getting out and you have to elevate the meat). Once in the grill/smoker I take hickory chunks, not chips, and place a handful on the charcoal. Then close the lid. Too much air and it won't smoke, but will ignite the chunks. Then add a handful every 30 minutes. For most thick meats and ribs I smoke for 1.5 hours. Then foil everything up and 225* it for however long it takes to get the meat to the temp you want.
North my brother don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use lighter fluid for anything other than burning witches! Lol if y'all want more smoke for grills or smokers use Amazenproducts.com smoke tune
2quhz60.jpg
here's my homemade pig smoker and my traeger.
zxocaq.jpg
21dbtc.jpg
CHEERS :)

Nothing wrong with lighter fluid......just don't drink it! I've seen those smoke tubes, even tried a metal strainer, didn't care for that one. I like chunks of wood smoking. 

Agreed. Lighter fluid is a big no-no.

And what's the point of all-natural charcoal if you're dousing in fluid? lol

Holy wow! That was a feast you posted!

The Hot Pepper said:
Agreed. Lighter fluid is a big no-no.And what's the point of all-natural charcoal if you're dousing in fluid? lol
Exactly all that care and throw it away with lighter fluid not knocking you brother just simple fix using a chimney or bucket. When I smoke whole hog we burn good hardwood in 50 gal barrels with lower section partially removed to shovel them good fruit wood coals mmmmm good :) right into cooker. Just looking out for a fellow chili head. Peace :)
Ps my granddad would shed a tear nothing but natural ever touched his cooker.

Kinda weird to buy a vegetable binder coal just to add petroleum which is what you are trying to avoid. And no it doesn't all burn off in minutes it burns as you cook and coats your chamber as well.

The feast looks phenomenal though. :)

We all learn new things here. I wonder if we can convert him. :)

It's the best! It doesn't take long either. I'll go inside for a few minutes, come back out, and it looks like an afterburner, lol.

Here is some wild venison I smoked week before last... turned out really good but had to finish it in the oven on low. It had rained and my smoker is made out of brick so it was a little to moist to finish drying it in there.

http://instagram.com/p/vPWf3HDluS/

10808656_897588653592288_1288938704_n.jpg

On the right I finished it with Hawaiian chili pepper... it was by far the winner and everyone's preference. Next time I'll finish it all with it.

Wow Dc powered fan assisted charcoal lighter that's one I've never seen. If battery fails does it come with a hand assisted bellows for backup. :) that's one for techie crowd.

Back