Potatoes

wordwiz said:
Good luck Talas. I almost wish a couple of the plants would die (they should later this month or in early August) so I can see how they turned out. It would be neat to have 100 pounds each of red and blue ptotatoes to eat/sell/give to friends. Besides two cages of each, I have about eight linear feet of garden space for normal growing per type, plus 54 feet for regular potatoes.

I wish there was a simple way of preserving them for a variety of uses. My son showed my how to save them for French Fries and such, and I suppose I could can them for mashed potatoes (put it's simply cheaper and easier to buy flakes at the store). I really would love to find a way I could use them for baked potatoes in March.

Mike

Agreed preserving Potatoes is a short term thing..Unfortunately
and mass crop certainly doesn't always help be lovely just have a regular tap of supply's from the same cage/bag project but hay we cant have it all i suppose :lol:

I canned five quarts last night but one of the jars came apart. I'll probably can as many jars as I have, amybe another 20-25. They should be great in soups and stews and even deep frying but I doubt baking them will be an option. Fortunately, we only have baked taters a couple of times a month and I can sometimes get three large ones for a dollar at the store.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I canned five quarts last night but one of the jars came apart. I'll probably can as many jars as I have, amybe another 20-25. They should be great in soups and stews and even deep frying but I doubt baking them will be an option. Fortunately, we only have baked taters a couple of times a month and I can sometimes get three large ones for a dollar at the store.

Mike

Had baked taters with mature cheese and scotch bonnets and red onion it was great and the funny thing is i like the taste of canned potatoes sometimes a nice change mike ;)

Get a quart jar. Fill it with potatoes, slicing them if necessary, leaving about two inches at the top. Cover with water, leaving about 3/4" of space. Cover with a lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes (after the pressure builds to 10 pounds). Make sure the lid seals.

Mom always peeled hers but that has become passe now. Even fine some dining restaurants leave the skins on when they make mashed potatoes. I use a tooth brush (medium bristle) to scrub the dirt off them.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Get a quart jar. Fill it with potatoes, slicing them if necessary, leaving about two inches at the top. Cover with water, leaving about 3/4" of space. Cover with a lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes (after the pressure builds to 10 pounds). Make sure the lid seals.

Mom always peeled hers but that has become passe now. Even fine some dining restaurants leave the skins on when they make mashed potatoes. I use a tooth brush (medium bristle) to scrub the dirt off them.

Mike

Thx mike im going to give it a go thanks for the Recipe and instructions :)

Talas,

I counted jars and I have 25 quarts so I figure I might as well use them. That way, when the others start going soft next year, I'll still have plenty. Just wish my carrots would have turned out decently but nary a single seed sprouted.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Talas,

I counted jars and I have 25 quarts so I figure I might as well use them. That way, when the others start going soft next year, I'll still have plenty. Just wish my carrots would have turned out decently but nary a single seed sprouted.

Mike

Funny you should say about your carrots,Mine sprouted but became snail food while on holiday,Next year im putting them in raised beds and try a few differnt variety's..What supplier/Type did you try ? :)

Generic brand? I used old seeds left over from last year and that might have been the problem. Same thing with beets, except two seeds did sprout. Last's year's crop, which was only about 10 feet long, was great. I had a little over three quarts of dehydrated Bugs Bunny food. Even managed to dehydrate some cole slaw (at least the carrots and cabbage). It's not quite as crisp as new crop when re-hydrated but close.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Generic brand? I used old seeds left over from last year and that might have been the problem. Same thing with beets, except two seeds did sprout. Last's year's crop, which was only about 10 feet long, was great. I had a little over three quarts of dehydrated Bugs Bunny food. Even managed to dehydrate some cole slaw (at least the carrots and cabbage). It's not quite as crisp as new crop when re-hydrated but close.

Mike

I admire for trying so many things Coleslaw damn good idea growing some sharp cabbage types next year and hopefully more success with carrots this time around :D

talas said:
I admire for trying so many things Coleslaw damn good idea growing some sharp cabbage types next year and hopefully more success with carrots this time around :)

You can always make sauerkraut from any extra cabbage you have lying around, that stuff keeps really well. Not to mention its awesome on brats. My german grandma used to make it, its a shame I didn't start liking it til I got older.

talas said:
I admire for trying so many things Coleslaw damn good idea growing some sharp cabbage types next year and hopefully more success with carrots this time around :)

Talas, I just had so much stuff I figured I might as well try it. That's the reason for trying to can potatoes. I can't use them all up before they go soft so I really have nothing to lose.

Txclosetgrower said:
You can always make sauerkraut from any extra cabbage you have lying around, that stuff keeps really well. Not to mention its awesome on brats. My german grandma used to make it, its a shame I didn't start liking it til I got older.

Tx,

I have my standards and while they are low, they don't stoop to making kraut!

Perhaps I should, though just to say I've done it. I am of German heritage, after all. Plus, I have an extra three or four feet.

Linda loves the Brussell Sprouts as I call them - the suckers one gets when you cut off the head.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Tx,

I have my standards and while they are low, they don't stoop to making kraut!

Perhaps I should, though just to say I've done it. I am of German heritage, after all. Plus, I have an extra three or four feet.

Dude, kraut is the easiest thing in the WORLD to make. I've got a two gallon pail cooking off right now. All it takes is cabbage and salt, and some decent elbow grease to pack it down.

My above post should read that I have an extra three or feet of room!

Anyway, tried the taters from the jar that came apart when canning them. Slicing them was easy, they didn't fall apart but were obviosuly not as solid as new, uncooked potatoes. Put them in a hot skillet with Crisco, covered them with Creole spice and fried them. Very tasty.

Looks like I'll be busy canning spuds for a couple of evenings.

Mike

Linda loves the Brussell Sprouts as I call them - the suckers one gets when you cut off the head...

Mike love them to..To much gas though and don't mention BRUSSEL SPROUTS You make get a certain lady appearing in the thread ;)

Back