• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

POTOWIE!! (sausage help)

I could have PM'd but I wanted others to maybe chime in, and I thought this might interest some other members.

How much salt, generally would go into 5 lbs of sausage?

I have an awesome butcher willing to sell me the sausage, in casings, seasoned with whatever I want.

I WANT 7 POT sausage.;)

I have a good idea of the seasonings I want, I am just unsure of the salt measurements for that amount of meat.

Thanks!

1 tsp. to 1 1/2 tsp. per pound depending on what other spices. Are you using fresh minced garlic and then smoking them or granulated garlic. The more garlic and other spices used, the less salt you need.

texas blues said:
1 tsp. to 1 1/2 tsp. per pound depending on what other spices. Are you using fresh minced garlic and then smoking them or granulated garlic. The more garlic and other spices used, the less salt you need.

I agree with TB......until POTOWIE chimes in then I will agree with him..:lol:

But seriously I do agree with TB cause alot of premade spices have salt in them already so the amount of salt will be reduced if you put heaps of spices in (depending on what you use).

I usually allow for about 3 - 5 grams of salt per kilo....Not that I have made that many sauages but they seem to turn out good....

Salt isn't too important in fresh sausage so you could use no salt if you want, its really a matter of taste. I think the type of salt also makes a big difference which is why salt is often measured in weight.
One book I often rely on "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn suggest this as fresh sausage master ratio, but it seems like a lot of salt:

5 lbs meat and fat
1 1/2 ounces/40 grams kosher salt(about 3 Tbs)
seasoning
1 cup/250ml ice-cold liquid

Another favorite sausage book "Great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas suggests between 2-2 1/4 Tbs of granulated salt for 5 lb recipes but says not to use iodized salt

Other recipes I've found and liked had at least 1 Tbs/5lbs but they often just say salt

LUCKYDOG said:
Like TB said about a tsp for every pound. Make Sure your peppers are dried as well otherwise it wont as hot as you may think or like.
checks this : the Name is funny too

http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

Thanks Lucky! Great site.

POTAWIE said:
Salt isn't too important in fresh sausage so you could use no salt if you want, its really a matter of taste. I think the type of salt also makes a big difference which is why salt is often measured in weight.
One book I often rely on "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn suggest this as fresh sausage master ratio, but it seems like a lot of salt:

5 lbs meat and fat
1 1/2 ounces/40 grams kosher salt(about 3 Tbs)
seasoning
1 cup/250ml ice-cold liquid

Another favorite sausage book "Great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas suggests between 2-2 1/4 Tbs of granulated salt for 5 lb recipes but says not to use iodized salt

Other recipes I've found and liked had at least 1 Tbs/5lbs but they often just say salt

I think 2 1/4 tbs sounds good for 5 lbs.

Why is ice cold liquid important?

I was wanting to make my own recipe entirely, but I guess I am aiming at a spicy bratwurst.

Traditionally bratwurst are emulsified which may be too much extra work for your butcher, but I'm sure you can still make a great course meat type

Emulsified sausage are basically pureed or heavily mixed until the fat is evenly suspended in the meat and water, and this creates a smooth textured sausage that has a uniform color much like a hotdog Everything should always be as cold as possible when making sausage, you need the liquid for consistency and it must be cold to keep the emulsion from breaking(when emulsifying).

Its just a lubricant but I think maybe its to use cold so you wouldnt start to cook it or melt much of the fats -- so your sausage doesnt shoot goo :lol: I had to put that somewhere - or get to gooey

5 lbs coarse ground pork
12 oz homebrew
2 1/4 tbsp home smoked sea salt
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp black pepper
10 tbsp 7pot/naga homegrown powder
5 tbsp ancho powder

I think it looks OK but I advise to start out with small batches until you find a formula that you really like. You can try a small mix with regular ground meat and just fry it loose to test out the flavor. Thats if you can taste it over the heat;)

ya know Cheezy you can buy a meat grinder at Dicks Sporting Goods for like 40$ Are you making an italian style sausage? I like fennel seed in mine I like the taste - but your mix looks good

Back