• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

POTOWIE!! (sausage help)

I love italian sausage Lucky, and the fennel too, but I am not big on italian sausage on a bun, I like it in pasta and such.

I am going for a grilling sausage that I can throw on a bun.

cheezydemon said:
5 lbs coarse ground pork
12 oz homebrew
2 1/4 tbsp home smoked sea salt
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp black pepper
10 tbsp 7pot/naga homegrown powder
5 tbsp ancho powder

Looks like mainly a FIRE sausage alot of heat and a lil of other flavors.....A Sausage that bite ya back!!!! LOL That may be a bit much on the Naga Powder......I have learned with Naga and Bhut that a lil bit can go a long way.....I dunno about you but most of my friends don't like their food that spicy....just my .02

If you want a traditional grilling sausage then you probably don't want a bratwurst which translates to frying sausage

Dyce51 said:
Looks like mainly a FIRE sausage alot of heat and a lil of other flavors.....A Sausage that bite ya back!!!! LOL That may be a bit much on the Naga Powder......I have learned with Naga and Bhut that a lil bit can go a long way.....I dunno about you but most of my friends don't like their food that spicy....just my .02

I think you are right......lol.

I got a little carried away, better to be edible than a novelty.

just for comparison here are a couple of "pepper" sausage recipes I found online...

3 lb Pork butt
1/2 lb Onion
2 Habanero chiles; minced
1/2 ts Minced garlic
1/4 ts Dried thyme
1 ts Chopped fresh parsley
1 Bay leaf (vein removed);
1/2 ts Paprika
1 ts Ground black pepper
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Red wine vinegar
-----------------------------------

Chorizo Sausage #1 (Hot)

5-lb coarse ground pork butt
1-cup cold white wine
8-tsp paprika
5-tsp salt
5-tsp fresh minced garlic
4-tsp cayenne
2-tsp cumin
2-tsp dried oregano
1-tsp freshly ground black pepper

-----------------------------------

I was sure you were just kidding about the 10 tbsp 7pot/naga homegrown powder which is why I made the "mild" comment. Definitely too much heat for most mortals

As I said before do a small sample batch, I bet it'll still be too hot for most people to eat. Personally I avoid super hotties in my sausage and they're still usually too hot for most people I know. I guess it depends on your expectations

POTAWIE said:
If you want a traditional grilling sausage then you probably don't want a bratwurst which translates to frying sausage

What? Frying sausage? The only way to do brats is grill them and then throw them in a beer bath with onions. Let the hosky and onions work their magic and then slap them on a soft bun with brown mustard. Oh hell yeah!

POTAWIE said:
I often grill them too but then they aren't really brats. I believe brat means fry and wurst means sausage

I did not know that. All this talk about snausage gives me a craving for Hungarian keilbosse. When I was a kid living in Michigan, there was this great butcher shop that had the Bo-hunk stuff that was to die for. Ma used to do it up at least once a week. I can still taste it. Awesome!

actually Brat = Meat and Wurst = Sausage
Knockwurst is knock or knack which is meant to refer the cracking sound it makes when bitten into

Right!

Once again I applaude Potowie on his attention to detail!

I grill bratwurst almost exclusively.

I sometimes simmer them in beer and kraut and onions, but then I grill them.

Back