• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Potting soil and bagged compost

Kellogg Patio Plus potting soil is $4.97 for 1.5 cu. yds. at Lowes and I think some Home Depot's carry it as well.
It's unbeatable for the price.

7cdd14f2-c381-4cfa-965a-858da2443c22_300.jpg

i second this, i used this with a mix of Other stuff

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I believe you disagree [/background]

No, I said that MG potting soil was overpriced. ;)

I think it may be slightly "hot" though as far as nutrients go as some of my plants have a slight browning on the leaf edges.
I think next time I will mix some more perlite in it and water a little heavy at first to wash out some excess nutrients. Maybe it's the composted chicken manure or Guano? :think:

If you can get fox farm cheap that is a good organic soil. I find it for a bit pricey around me so I just do not buy it. Miracle gro is only 10-11bucks for 2 cu ft. For premium potting that is not bad. I used to make all of my mix myself but now I found MG is a really good mix. It makes things very easy. I always have ph balanced peat sitting around for cutting soil for some plants and starting seeds.

I have never tried kellog, is that available in the east coast?

I am sorry when I said Miracle Gro products and you replied yes, I guess I misunderstood.

So now we know the potting soil is expensive and unnatural and some of their other product are cost efficient and far more natural.

Glad we got that straightened out.

Capsicum, I am not sure if they have it on the East Coast or not but Patio Plus is only $4.97 a bag here at Lowes for 1.5 cu. ft. and it is organic, MG is not.

Try this link and type in your area code: http://www.kellogggarden.com/dealer_locator

I am sorry when I said Miracle Gro products and you replied yes, I guess I misunderstood.

So now we know the potting soil is expensive and expensive but some of their other product are cost efficient and far more natural.

Glad we got that straightened out.

I don't know if their other products are cost efficient or not I just bought one small bag of seed starting mix and it has lasted me three years. :lol:
As far as being "natural" I am not that concerned as I am not a pure organic grower.

Our neighborhood Ace now has their own branded Cow Manure compost & Top Soil. I guess they are adding more of potting soils as well. Bagged Top Soil seems to be a great way to get nemotodes in my experiance. I have had petro-chemical pellets in my Miracle Gro " Organic" Choice.

Hmmm all good info

I think ill just keep using the potting soil the nursery i work at sells. I can get like 3 cu feet for $14
It seems to be pretty good and i just mix in compost and such

I use Patio Plus as well and love it. It probably would be fine right out of the bag, but I add rice hulls for drainage and oyster shells and rock dust, because I like to go overboard.

Edit: Is this a good place to talk about my crush on Kathy Kellogg Johnson?

KKJohnson.jpg

320724_2550872571083_1231939259_3113003_2088998627_n.jpg

Back