• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Potting Soils

Does anyone have a favorite potting soil they use and a link to where i can buy some. I bought some miracle grow, schultz ,archer's mix and jolly gardener . I'm trying to buy some differ tyes from different places so i can mix them to create a kick but Soil mix.

Any recomenadtaions. Going away to miami on the weekend so i'll probaly buy and bring back.

Thanx.

( the job interview went well. I'll know if i got hired in a few days )

At the strong recommendation of others on this board, I tried COIR this year. I tried it alone and mixed equally with potting soil. It's fantastic! The brand I'm using is FIBER GROW from PLANTER'S PRIDE. I buy it in a 4 quart brick. When you add water, it expands 5X it's size. good luck, and your piquin and tepin seeds are on their way.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Do you use the Ram series then, Omri?
Zohar too, when I'm too lazy making my own.
Their products are the only ones I feel comfortable enough using with my plants when I'm not creating my own mix. not just high quality materials, but also great mixes (unlike most brands who just resell peat or coco with some perlite in it).

I'm very happy with Ferti-lome. About $11 for 40 quarts. I used it this winter/spring for germination and seedlings and my only complaint was the plants got too large, too quick. Not leggy - just too big in early April to expect to be able to grow them in 3" containers and sell in May.

Mike

captainpepper said:
Is that Tuff (Marom Golan) you were refering to :?:
Yep. even though I usually make my own mix, their's is pretty damn good. the better ones work so well with my favorite Hydro/Coco fertilizers.

They seem to be the only decent brand i came across as well-i buy their mix from the nearest ace store
down the block but i'm not so sure the quality is identical to the zohar mix you were refering to...

Zohar is mostly fine coco with some sort of neutral fertilizer. great for seedlings, especially if you're transplanting into your own coco mix.

The mix I usually see at stores is just the standard peat - perlite mix, just like the western Pro-Mix. which is really good, but not great. some of their mixes are fantastic!

I use their universal potting soil which includes coco and some sort of fertilizer among other ingredients -שאר המרכיבים כוללים כבול איכותי וטוף

Here's the standard one I get around here:
photojiy.jpg

Not fertilizer, just pure peat (כבול) and perlite:
photo2vcz.jpg

I haven't really read the label too carefully, but from pure experience, that's all there is in there.

Thanx you guys. I was thinking of trying seagro fish compost aswell. Wordwiz I think i'll go with the fertilome there rooting hormone and root stimulator ( 4-10-3) Does wonders especial for my onions. so there potting soil should be no less than awesome.

Back