• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Preemptive Pest Strike?

Hi all,

I got my pepper plants in last week (I ordered them in because I forgot to start seeds... :shh: ) and finally got around to potting them. I inspected them upon arrival and did not see any aphids, slugs, gnats, nothing. Some bite marks were present but they easily could have been from their home site. These marks included some small holes, some had a section of leaf missing, etc. However I feel the vendor did a good job of inspecting and removing any possible pests.

I am growing indoors this year in the hopes that I can keep these peppers going all winter long. Last time I tried over wintering an outdoor pepper the aphids reaked havoc on my peppers despite my attempts to get rid of them (sprays, lady bugs, etc.)

My fear at the moment I may get attacked by some dormant eggs or something. I have been watching the peppers like a hawk to see if the spots have gotten bigger, etc. and I swear I am seeing things :fireball:

That all being said...should I preemptively hit the pots and peppers with something just in case? I have no visible bugs good or bad at the moment and I would hate to add some lady bugs later and then have to nuke them.

Side note, has anyone ever done tomato leaf and garlic spray? My vendor recommended it just in case but I cant find tomato leaves anywhere and stealing them off Home Depot plants may not go over so well :P

Liquid ladybug spray works every time on aphids. I started inside in February. It looked like spider mites. Used this stuff and killed them all. Works every time! Does not hurt plants! Sorry about the sideways photos but the I phone has a mind of it owe. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 36
moruga welder said:
yes !  i have used it for damn gnats , last year ,   kills johnny on the spot !   :onfire:

Did they change the formula at some point? There are some pretty bad early reviews on Amazon but all the more recent are glowing. Sorry I am a born and raised skeptic when it comes to spending cash ha-ha.

it worked great for me last year . half way through potting up i got lazy and quit microwaving the soil . bad mistake , there were gnat eggs or gnats in it . didn't get lazy this year not a critter to be had !        :onfire:

Chitosan, potassium silicate, compost tea and/or commercial innoculants, insect frass. The list goes on. Really depends what pest/pathogens are a major issue in your area. Some people are nutty proactive. I tend to respond like a spastic afterwards.

Back