• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pressure cooking the sauce

I'm new to pressure cookers. so please be patience

I haven't bought a cooker yet, and was wondering what type should I get?
How do you know the pressure or temp if it does not have a meter?

How long should I cook the sauce in a presser cooker before I can bottle it?

I'm sure some can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

To pressure cook for canning or bottling, you definitely want one with temperature and pressure gauges. The smaller ones without are mainly meant for rapid cooking meals or getting soups or stews infused with flavors, but aren't suitable for safe canning for shelf storage where you need to maintain precise temperature and pressure for a set amount of time to be sure the contents are sterilized.

Sheesh, sorry, I did it again....

had a whole post about big pressure cookers and small pressure cookers and then deleted it all~~~.....

Basically!!! if you have a small one, the size of a sauce pan or small stock pot, it is usually used to cook raw ingredients, not for food processing. You can use this size of cooker to initally cook your sauce ingredients, but it will usually not be used for the actual PROCESSING of the sauce.

"Processing " meaning the preservation method used to keep the food safe for human consumption. "processing" could mean...dehydrating, freezing, canning, pickling, salting, fermenting........

Larger kettle-type pressure cookers are intended for food preservation where the food is put into glass jars with metal lids and rings, and then cooked ...under pressure (according to the manufacturers directions) for specific time and temps. It depends on where you are in elevation and other factors as to the exact time and the exact temp. For your own health safety, you should follow the instructions that come with the PC you get.

This larger type pf pressure cooking is not normally utilized by sauce makers as it requires glass containers and metal lids and rings. Usually, sauces made and put into glass bottles with plastic lids is done with "hot packing"...there are lots of threads talking about this on THP and elsewhere, it's late, and I'm headed to bed, sorry I can't post a direct link.

Here's some more info about canning in general and canning salsas-
http://www.freshpres...g.com/home.aspx

all the best, hope this helps~~~~ salsalady

Yes, I'm going to hot package my sauce.
I just want to know how to cook my sauce in a pressure cooker: Temperature, pressure and time? or should I just forget the pressure cooker and just boil for 20min?

Thanks

You don't need a preesure cooker at all for heating sauces. If you do use a pressure cooker then use it with canning jars full of sauce

Yes, I'm going to hot package my sauce.
I just want to know how to cook my sauce in a pressure cooker: Temperature, pressure and time? or should I just forget the pressure cooker and just boil for 20min?

Thanks

what reason do you want to cook in a pressure cooker?...just because it is quicker?...when you pressure cook something, it is "sterile" until you open the pressure cooker but then nasties can start growing again...I, personally do not pressure cook anything, I use the pressure cooker for canning purposes only, unless I have a mess fresh turnip greens and roots I want to eat in 30 minutes..

If you are new to cooking and canning...you really need this book...it tell's you everything you could ask about home canning/preserving..

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314

and here is the pressure cooker I have...

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/prestop23qtcan.htm

I just read somewhere, when hot bottling the boiling could be hotter. I was just wonder if pressure cooker would work.

I live in Vietnam and I just can't go do to the local market in buy a book on food processing. Also, heavy import tax here too, even if companies did ship here.

I'm just piece milling this together, on whatever I have read on the internet. I wish there was a schematic chart , "do's and dont's of processing of bottling hot sauce".

Thanks, for the help. I just dont want to miss up.

Normal hot sauce bottles with plastic lids won't work with a pressure cooker, or even being submerged in water in a boiling water bath.

If you want to use Mason canning jars with metal lids and metal rings, you can use a pressure cooker. Most home sauce makers do not use a pressure canner.

Pretty much everyone who makes hot sauces at home just cook/boil/simmer the sauce for 20 minutes, put it onto setrilized glass bottles, put a fresh cap on it, turn the bottle upside down (this puts the hot product in contact with the inside of the lid, therefore sterilizing the inside of the lid). This process is called hot packing. There may be some additional steps like blendering the ingredients to make it smooth, but those are the basics of Hot Packing.

Check out threads in the "making hot sauce" forums. There are several threads with detailed instructions. I'm in the middle of making dinner right now, but I'll try to pop back over here later and post a link or two to a couple good threads.

read, read, read.....

OK- here's a couple links-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/3958-bottling-hot-sauce/page__st__20

read all the posts here, and you'll have a pretty good understanding of the basics
http://www.thehotpepper.com/forum/91-hot-sauce-making/

Good Luck-

Back