Prices of fresh peppers by the pound

I've sold Bhuts 2 for $5 at a local farmer's market. Got rid of a few. No one around here grows superhots or knows what they are. I suggest having a sample pod and a jar of toothpicks. Let anyone curious stab the sample pod then put the toothpick in their mouth. It blows people's mind how hot a super's oil is right on contact.
Some of this isn't really the same subject, but since you mentioned something I have never thought about, I just have to comment. Even though my original question isn't about selling at a local plant sale and that kind of thing, I've been thinking about having small plants, seeds, fresh peppers and powders available at a few of the local plant sales starting next spring. I have been thinking about how I would let people sample the peppers, but at the same time, not wanting them to burn their faces off while they walk around the sale.Everybody thinks they can eat hot peppers until they sample some of these super hots. I wondered if I should have something for them to drink, or whatever, but then, stabbing a clean toothpick in a pepper to get the taste and heat from that. That sounds like a great idea and I will even try that myself tomorrow sometime. They can get an idea on heat but without burning their faces off. Maybe have a few samples when I find out they are more hard core, but for those border line people who think orange habaneros are the hottest peppers in the world (like the label shows in our local HD in the veggie plant section)the toothpick idea sounds like a great way to go! Thanks for that. I know its simple, but a great idea. Tom

cycadjungle said:

Some of this isn't really the same subject, but since you mentioned something I have never thought about, I just have to comment. Even though my original question isn't about selling at a local plant sale and that kind of thing, I've been thinking about having small plants, seeds, fresh peppers and powders available at a few of the local plant sales starting next spring. I have been thinking about how I would let people sample the peppers, but at the same time, not wanting them to burn their faces off while they walk around the sale.Everybody thinks they can eat hot peppers until they sample some of these super hots. I wondered if I should have something for them to drink, or whatever, but then, stabbing a clean toothpick in a pepper to get the taste and heat from that. That sounds like a great idea and I will even try that myself tomorrow sometime. They can get an idea on heat but without burning their faces off. Maybe have a few samples when I find out they are more hard core, but for those border line people who think orange habaneros are the hottest peppers in the world (like the label shows in our local HD in the veggie plant section)the toothpick idea sounds like a great way to go! Thanks for that. I know its simple, but a great idea. Tom
The toothpick idea sounds great, but I'd definitely agree with having something cooling on standby. I had my 1st taste of superhots a couple of days ago, after only having had hab heat before. The first few I tried I only had small bites and missed the placenta, but got it when I tried a red brain strain and got lit up something fierce! Quickly learned it's a big jump from hab hot to superhot!

Toothpick thing def works, but I recommend that you be the one to handle the pod, preferrably in gloves. Didn't mean to throw us off-topic, but it's a cool way to gauge the locals' response to your heat level.

Back