• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Primary leaves

Three primary leaves

I've had some nice poppers made of high volume red hab type chinenses bought in an Asia shop. I liked the size, flavor and heat so I kept some seeds. Now the first of them has sprouted and that little seedling has three primary leaves instead of two! Has somebody seen something like that before? Is it just an incident? Or a bad accident? Is it genetic engineering? Is it a mutant? Or will some intelligent exoskelleton hostile extraterrestrial life form jump right into my face in a few days?
I don't have the close up shot equipment to show it now but as soon as it has grown a bit I'll post a pic.

This happens quite frequently, and this topic comes up every year:) These plants often don't produce as well from what I remember

POTAWIE said:
This happens quite frequently, and this topic comes up every year:) These plants often don't produce as well from what I remember

Thanx! So my dog won't be remote controlled by E.T. ... Glad to hear that.
What happened to such a plant? Does it make sense to grow it? Will the (maybe fewer) pods look and taste like other pods from "better" seeds of that strain?

Here's a pic. I cut it out of a not so close up. So please excuse the quality.
ThreeLeavesChinense.jpg

Armadillo said:
I've had some nice poppers made of high volume red hab type chinenses bought in an Asia shop. I liked the size, flavor and heat so I kept some seeds. Now the first of them has sprouted and that little seedling has three primary leaves instead of two! Has somebody seen something like that before? Is it just an incident? Or a bad accident? Is it genetic engineering? Is it a mutant? Or will some intelligent exoskelleton hostile extraterrestrial life form jump right into my face in a few days?
I don't have the close up shot equipment to show it now but as soon as it has grown a bit I'll post a pic.

Peppers are dicots, meaning they should only have 2 cotyledons or seed leaves. However you find ones with 3 leaves pretty regularly, it's the result of a genetic mutation.

Here is a study on it happening in sunflowers:
http://www.sunflowernsa.com/research/research-workshop/documents/Hu_Tricotyledonous_05.pdf

"Another interesting aspect is that the mutant has three true leaves per node, therefore, the seedling will have larger leaf area for photosynthesis. The development of a true breeding tricotyledonous line would help address important questions related to sunflower production."

Who will be the first to market true tricotyledonous chiles? Isolate your seedling to see what you get next year Armadillo!

MrArboc said:
"Another interesting aspect is that the mutant has three true leaves per node, therefore, the seedling will have larger leaf area for photosynthesis. The development of a true breeding tricotyledonous line would help address important questions related to sunflower production."

Who will be the first to market true tricotyledonous chiles? Isolate your seedling to see what you get next year Armadillo!

I'll be rich! I'll be rich!!!:onfire: I'll flood the market with seeds, seedlings, plants, pods, abstracts, books, TV-shows....:oops: ...I fear finally the aliens got me!

MrArboc said:

It said that in the f1 generation of the tricots they saw ones with 1 cotyledon and ones with 4 cotyledons, but they were rare. Quadcotyledonous ftw?

Txclosetgrower said:
It said that in the f1 generation of the tricots they saw ones with 1 cotyledon and ones with 4 cotyledons, but they were rare. Quadcotyledonous ftw?

I will be even richer!:onfire::onfire:

POTAWIE said:

Good information - especially if you get two seeds to germinate in the same cell. Pinch off the one with 3 leaves.

bigt said:
Good information - especially if you get two seeds to germinate in the same cell. Pinch off the one with 3 leaves.

Or keep it to compare the results if you have enough growing space.:)

i've never gotten any, but i mostly grew tomato and eggplant until last year. they must not be as common in those. i did get those twins last year tho. that was cool.

as for the ones last year i could not tell the difference in production and no these seeds were not from last years fruit but i will watch this one closely this year and seed if there is any difference in production as i have 5 plants that the seeds are all out the same fatali pod

Back