• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Pro-Mix for indoor container gardening-which one?

So I keep seeing everyone say how good Pro-Mix is, but they don't really specify which one. Would Pro-Mix Premium Potting Mix (http://www.promixgardening.com/en/product/detail/pro-mix-ultimate-potting-mix) work well, PRO-MIX PREMIUM ALL PURPOSE MIX (http://www.promixgardening.com/en/product/detail/pro-mix-ultimate-all-purpose-mix), or PRO-MIX ORGANIC VEGETABLE & HERB MIX (http://www.promixgardening.com/en/product/detail/pro-mix-vegetables-herb) work the best for indoor container gardening?

Thanks!

When you ask which "works better"...  How do you plan to grow?  Are you going to feed with liquid or dry fertilizer?

Maligator said:
I've used Promix HP to very good effect on my container plants.

Thanks for the reply! What do you add to it if I may ask? I'm thinking about just using worm castings and tomato tone, or maybe even crab shell fert.

solid7 said:
When you ask which "works better"...  How do you plan to grow?  Are you going to feed with liquid or dry fertilizer?

Well, as of now, I'm planning to mix in worm castings and tomato tone. I'm still debating on if I should add crab shell or Marine Cuisine Dry (by FoxFarm) as I was told by someone it's a waste of money since worm castings and tomato tone should work well, but I'd like some opinions.

I'm not a huge fan of buying pre-mixed media. It's unnecessarily expensive, and for an indoor grow, you really don't need wetting agents.  You can mix 60% peat, 30% perlite, and 10% worm castings, along with your fertilizer, and be good to go.  You'll have to add a bit of lime.  To make it go even farther, you can cut that mix - after you've mixed it - with up to 20% screened and cleaned pine bark. (3/8" mesh size)

You can also do coco coir,  but you'll have to PH your waterings. (maybe, depending on how hard your water is)  Other than that, the coco would be a direct replacement for the peat. (no lime added to coco) I have found that you can flush and re-use coco, with no adverse effects, for at least a couple of seasons.

I like the root growth on coco coir way better than peat, so I've spent the last couple seasons trying to perfect growing in it.

If you wanted opinions, that's mine.  :)

solid7 said:
I'm not a huge fan of buying pre-mixed media. It's unnecessarily expensive, and for an indoor grow, you really don't need wetting agents.  You can mix 60% peat, 30% perlite, and 10% worm castings, along with your fertilizer, and be good to go.  You'll have to add a bit of lime.  To make it go even farther, you can cut that mix - after you've mixed it - with up to 20% screened and cleaned pine bark. (3/8" mesh size)
You can also do coco coir,  but you'll have to PH your waterings. (maybe, depending on how hard your water is)  Other than that, the coco would be a direct replacement for the peat. (no lime added to coco) I have found that you can flush and re-use coco, with no adverse effects, for at least a couple of seasons.
I like the root growth on coco coir way better than peat, so I've spent the last couple seasons trying to perfect growing in it.
If you wanted opinions, that's mine.  :)

It is a bit expensive, but I wanted to make sure everything was right haha. And that reminds me, I do have Premier Sphagnum Peat Moss a tmy house that I can use. Would the 60 peat/30 perlite/10 worm castings be good for the pepper throughout the life of it? Also, what fertilizers would you recommend? Crab Shell, Tomato Tone, etc.? How much lime should be added and how often as well? I do have a brick of coco fiber, exo terra brand (for my tarantulas), but not sure if I can use that.
Would bone meal, Tomato Tone and Dolomite lime be enough fertilizer wise? And then how much should I add to each plant and when do I start adding? I'm guessing I should probably start once they're in five gallon containers (at least for the lime)?

For container fertilizer, unless I make my own, I pretty much just use Dr Earth Tomato, Herb, and Vegetable.  Forget the bone meal.  Use the Dolomite only if you use the peat, (not sphagnum) and don't use coco fiber. You want pith, not fiber or chips.

But yes, unless you start to show a deficiency, the Tomato Tone is probably enough.  The worm castings are good for as long as the peat. I personally don't like to use peat more than once. 

solid7 said:
For container fertilizer, unless I make my own, I pretty much just use Dr Earth Tomato, Herb, and Vegetable.  Forget the bone meal.  Use the Dolomite only if you use the peat, (not sphagnum) and don't use coco fiber. You want pith, not fiber or chips.

But yes, unless you start to show a deficiency, the Tomato Tone is probably enough.  The worm castings are good for as long as the peat. I personally don't like to use peat more than once. 

Wait, sorry, so should Tomato Tone be the sole additive, or also the Dolomite? If yes to the Dolomite as well, how much should I add in?
So then this kind of peat is not okay to use?: https://www.amazon.com/Cuft-Spgm-Peat-Moss-Bale/dp/B000PAQ3KG/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1470686561&sr=1-3&keywords=premier+peat+moss

You have to add Dolomitic lime IF you are using peat moss.

Sorry, that peat is fine.  I mistakenly thought that you said "sphagnum moss", but you clearly said "sphagnum peat moss". (big difference a word makes)

Goddamn that's a lot of money for peat.  It should be more like $15 for 2.2cu ft compressed...  Available at any big box store that has a lawn and garden.

solid7 said:
You have to add Dolomitic lime IF you are using peat moss.
Sorry, that peat is fine.  I mistakenly thought that you said "sphagnum moss", but you clearly said "sphagnum peat moss". (big difference a word makes)

Goddamn that's a lot of money for peat.  It should be more like $15 for 2.2cu ft compressed...  Available at any big box store that has a lawn and garden.

Gotcha. Since I will be using peat, and the Ill be using to 60/30/10 proportions you gave me, how much lime should be added? And then how do I know how much tomato tone to add too? I was reading that you should add 1.5 tablespoons of the tomato tone, but don't really know how often. As for the lime, I have no idea how much or how often to add.

I was actually able to get the bundle two years ago for $9.99 so it seems like a pretty good deal haha.

Thanks!

I use promix HP. I add great white mycos and wirm castings and feed seaweed extract when there small. Later I brew bat guanos teas, both types high nitrogen and high phosphorous with some kelp meal.
I also use the dyna gro lines on other containers.

Used Pro-Mix Ultimate for a few houseplants.

They are doing really well.

I might just go with Pro-Mix Ultimate for a few of my outdoor containers next year. It is comparable in price to Happy Frog; ~$6.50/ft3.

alkhall said:
Used Pro-Mix Ultimate for a few houseplants.

They are doing really well.

I might just go with Pro-Mix Ultimate for a few of my outdoor containers next year. It is comparable in price to Happy Frog; ~$6.50/ft3.

What else would you add to the Pro-Mix Ultimate for your peppers if I may ask?

InsectMan said:

Gotcha. Since I will be using peat, and the Ill be using to 60/30/10 proportions you gave me, how much lime should be added? And then how do I know how much tomato tone to add too? I was reading that you should add 1.5 tablespoons of the tomato tone, but don't really know how often. As for the lime, I have no idea how much or how often to add.

I was actually able to get the bundle two years ago for $9.99 so it seems like a pretty good deal haha.

Thanks!

Add the dolomitic lime and the fertilizer per package instructions. Outdoors is a little trickier with fertilizing, but indoors, package instructions is fine.

So after looking around and what would be easier on my wallet, I'll be going with Pro-Mix HP. I'll fertilize with Tomato Tone (which is an all in one I believe) after looking in a previous thread saying someone just added that. How does that sound?

Back