Probably should have done this earlier..

But hello everyone! I'm a pretty new user from the Illinois, specifically the UIUC area (college student). I'm also pretty new to growing hot peppers, so please have some patience with me! Haha. Other than growing hot peppers, I do keep tarantulas (used to breed them) and some snakes/lizards (used to breed them as well, now just do some rehab), so if some of you guys are interested in those two other hobbies, let me know!

Thanks!

:welcome: to the THP forums from SC! Nice to have you aboard!

Back in the day (when I was around 11), I used to have some lizards myself... a male Jackson's chameleon (watching it feed was the coolest thing ever!), and a green iguana. I always wanted snakes as well (the traditional ball python or Colombian red tail boa), but my mom made it absolutely clear that was 100% not an option - 'not till I'm 18, or living on my own!'... haha. I would have happily settled for a smaller species like a corn or milk snake, but that too was denied! I actually had some initial inclinations to be a herpetologist, but those crazy teen years have a way to quickly change ones interests! ;) I can only wish I would have gotten into breeding back before the internet was the main means of connecting sellers and buyers, and ads or classifieds in Reptile magazine for example was the more typical norm. A LOT of money could have been made - especially being involved from such an early time and being well established, and then getting involved in the explosion of all the various 'morphs' over the years! The friend that introduced me to reptiles in the first place did just that with panther chameleons (& I think leopard geckos)... made plentiful amounts of $$$. It seems now the market is over saturated; everyone and their dog has a small business breeding something! I still check out sites, flip through magazines, watch YouTube vids, etc. to occasionally see 'what's new', but that's about it. It about the pepper 'morphs' these days...

Best of growing this season with your peppers, hope you get some nice harvests!   

Welcome from another noob! I was in a band in the mid 80s whose singer had boas and pythons. Could not go in that guy's house, the smell was so bad. But the snakes were cool, I gotta admit. Could use one up here on the farm, if it was a better mouser than the 4 cats.....

howdy!  used to keep quite a few snakes myself... started with garter and ribbon snakes, later on in life had boas and king snakes..by early twenties either sold them back to a reptile or pet store or released them to the wild(if the snake could tolerate the climate)..one of my early garter snakes popped out a bunch of babies, made my young ass a pile of cash selling them back to the store that i bought the snake from! :party:

Alchymystic said:
:welcome: to the THP forums from SC! Nice to have you aboard!

Back in the day (when I was around 11), I used to have some lizards myself... a male Jackson's chameleon (watching it feed was the coolest thing ever!), and a green iguana. I always wanted snakes as well (the traditional ball python or Colombian red tail boa), but my mom made it absolutely clear that was 100% not an option - 'not till I'm 18, or living on my own!'... haha. I would have happily settled for a smaller species like a corn or milk snake, but that too was denied! I actually had some initial inclinations to be a herpetologist, but those crazy teen years have a way to quickly change ones interests! ;) I can only wish I would have gotten into breeding back before the internet was the main means of connecting sellers and buyers, and ads or classifieds in Reptile magazine for example was the more typical norm. A LOT of money could have been made - especially being involved from such an early time and being well established, and then getting involved in the explosion of all the various 'morphs' over the years! The friend that introduced me to reptiles in the first place did just that with panther chameleons (& I think leopard geckos)... made plentiful amounts of $$$. It seems now the market is over saturated; everyone and their dog has a small business breeding something! I still check out sites, flip through magazines, watch YouTube vids, etc. to occasionally see 'what's new', but that's about it. It about the pepper 'morphs' these days...

Best of growing this season with your peppers, hope you get some nice harvests!   

Thanks! Funny thing is, I'm at uni for Conservation Biology and my research is focused on herps! And I know what you mean, it is pretty saturated, I'm taking a step back from the 'designer' morphs, however the reticulated pythons are keeping me a bit interested haha. Tarantulas are what I just fell into and they're easy to keep, cheap and if you're interested in breeding, you can make a few $$ every now and then.

Thanks and you too!

stettoman said:
Welcome from another noob! I was in a band in the mid 80s whose singer had boas and pythons. Could not go in that guy's house, the smell was so bad. But the snakes were cool, I gotta admit. Could use one up here on the farm, if it was a better mouser than the 4 cats.....

Trust me, snakes are! Haha. And snakes aren't usually smelly at all as long as they're kept clean. And thanks!

hotpeppaharry said:
howdy!  used to keep quite a few snakes myself... started with garter and ribbon snakes, later on in life had boas and king snakes..by early twenties either sold them back to a reptile or pet store or released them to the wild(if the snake could tolerate the climate)..one of my early garter snakes popped out a bunch of babies, made my young ass a pile of cash selling them back to the store that i bought the snake from! :party:

Haha, it was always fun breeding some. I used to breed a couple of retics and burms! Thanks!

s-l300_zps6w9rfcd2.jpg

Back