• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Product Review; Tabasco Habanero Sauce

I love the flavor of Habanero peppers. That flavor is sadly missing in the McIlhenny Company’s Tabasco Habanero Sauce.
On first tasting ½ tbsp. of straight sauce; the first hit is salt, followed by vinegar and a heat source that escapes identification. The mango, tamarind, papaya and banana are lost in the massive salt/vinegar presence. The burn was moderate and hit my tongue and the back of my throat; it lasted for about 6 minutes (nothing noteworthy). Just to double check, I tried another 1/2 tbsp. and will stay with my first impression.
This isn’t my first experience with this sauce but it’s the first time I’ve tried it straight; I’ve been using it in bloody Marys for a little more heat than regular Tabasco. In fairness I far prefer regular Tabasco sauce in the flavor department.
Compared to Melinda’s XXXXX Habaneros Sauce it fails in all areas of flavor and heat; lacking balance and any meaningful Habanero flavor.
I cannot recommend McIlhenny Company’s Tabasco Habanero Sauce to any serious chili head. This is my opinion and stated with no pre-conceived bias. Cheers.

regular Tabasco is a staple in my Bloody Marys...to kick the heat up, I add some of my puree to it...I have found that the 7 Pot adds a flavor to the Bloody Mary that is deliciously out of this world and as an added bonus, a 1/8th tsp will put the BM almost over the top...

as far as the Tabasco Habanero sauce goes.....Meh....go review Ajarn

regular Tabasco is a staple in my Bloody Marys...to kick the heat up, I add some of my puree to it...I have found that the 7 Pot adds a flavor to the Bloody Mary that is deliciously out of this world and as an added bonus, a 1/8th tsp will put the BM almost over the top...

as far as the Tabasco Habanero sauce goes.....Meh....go review Ajarn

AJ, what does Meh mean? I see it a lot and figure it's not a typo, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it means. :(

meh, is supposed to mean so so or average...

no problem A...I try and answer qestions as soon as I see them....have a great day...

nope, it had to have doctor pepper in it... roflmao

You know what had some good habanero flavor--Doritos Habanero flavor chips. They were awesome. Not particularly hot, but they really had the flavor. Too bad they quit selling them here. Don't know if you can get them anywhere else.

Compared to Melinda’s XXXXX Habaneros Sauce it fails in all areas of flavor and heat; lacking balance and any meaningful Habanero flavor.

I bought a bottle of Melinda's XXXtra hot sauce a few months ago and was extremely disappointed with the heat level. The flavor was pretty good but I think Marie Sharp's kicks its ass in all departments. I find your choice of comparison between Tabasco and Melinda's unusual because they're so extremely different. If you like Melinda's and haven't tried Marie Sharp's I highly suggest you give it a chance.

As far as the Tabasco Habanero goes, I think it's pretty decent for a mass produced, widely available hot sauce that actually has a little kick to it. I also know what you're saying about the vinegar and salt but I don't think it overpowers the flavors of the fruits and tamarind. As a matter of fact I have a harder time finding the right application for it, as I think those flavors are very prevalent. But that's just me. Food tasting is a funny thing and obviously very subjective.

You know what had some good habanero flavor--Doritos Habanero flavor chips. They were awesome. Not particularly hot, but they really had the flavor. Too bad they quit selling them here. Don't know if you can get them anywhere else.
Interesting that you can't find them there now. I just came across the "3rd Degree" habanero Doritos today (in Ohio) - never seen them before, but admittedly I don't eat chips very often so I'm not usually in the market for them. I did like the flavor, but I don't know that it's hab flavor - they just tasted like Doritos to me, albeit hotter than the average Do. But I agree - not particularly hot; no sweat, no runny nose, etc., etc. Still, I'd get them again if I was in the mood for chips.

Back