• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Progress of my hot pepper plant using a DWC system

You could always add another airstone to try and increase your DO content, which decreases as temperature increases. This is why high water temps are problematic

I'm sorry, but I need to catch up on my hydroponics jargon, but "DO content"? I don't know what that is.
I think I need a better airstone as the one I'm currently using isn't as efficient as it should be.

I have a question, what grow medium are you using? I use plant-it expanded clay which is the same as hydrotone. Just what my hydro store carries.

I'm using peat moss, we don't have any hydro stores here and hydroton can only be purchased online which I haven't done.

I'm sorry, but I need to catch up on my hydroponics jargon, but "DO content"? I don't know what that is.
I think I need a better airstone as the one I'm currently using isn't as efficient as it should be.

Whoops, I should have clarified. DO is dissolved oxygen.

Thanks for clearing that up idosimon!
Well as mentioned, I didn't think my current airstone was working efficiently so I went out and got another one. There are alot more bubbles in there now so hopefully that should help.

More bubbles is better. The wet peat may be leaking organic matter into your reservoir as well, and in my experience organics and hydroponics don't mix at all. I use hydrostone(clay pellets) and it works great. Plus peat doesn't breathe well, and may become too saturated for the roots, suffocating them. Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Yeah scratchzilla, the more bubbles really helped to keep the temperature down. I was amazed to know that the water felt alot cooler than what is was prior to the new airstone.
Peat moss is something all hydoponics farmers use here since we don't have a readily available source to hydroton or something similar like what you mentioned.
I could always order them online but this was a small project I wanted to try and now that I am a little more experienced in it, I will be moving that way of those clay pellets you've mentioned.
So far, I haven't had many issues with the peat moss.

Thanks for the advice though!

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you all know that I have started seeing some flower buds appearing!!!
So far I've seen four. I took some pics but you can't really see them.

Back