propane vs. electric

looks like I am among the few that still use standard ol' charcoal briquettes and soaked smokin' wood...

looks like I am among the few that still use standard ol' charcoal briquettes and soaked smokin' wood...

I hear you AJ, but I've gotten away from briquettes and prefer lump. While I love my Luhr Jensen Chiefs which are the perfect vehicle for smoking delicate things such as salmon......

http://www.luhrjensensmokers.com/

Nothing like lump and wood chunks for big hunks of meat like butts, briskey and ribs. Dani's given me the go ahead on a BGE but am putting it off until we move into the new house. When that happens, we'll make it a party!

I hear you AJ, but I've gotten away from briquettes and prefer lump. While I love my Luhr Jensen Chiefs which are the perfect vehicle for smoking delicate things such as salmon......

http://www.luhrjensensmokers.com/

Nothing like lump and wood chunks for big hunks of meat like butts, briskey and ribs. Dani's given me the go ahead on a BGE but am putting it off until we move into the new house. When that happens, we'll make it a party!

I should have said chunks since I have started using them too TB...I smoked a turkey breast for thanksgiving down at my moms in pensacola...and it was soooooo good....didn't have a hard time keepin' it lit but had a devil of a time finding papers to roll it in.... :rofl:

The following link may be relevant to your interest evaluating various smoking methods. I had been considering electric, but now I am not so sure. I have a cheap charcoal box smoker that is no longer satisfactory; difficult to control temperature and has one single door (major issue). When I have to reload (charcoal, chips), all the smoke and heat escapes (grr!). This plays havoc with cooking times.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/index.html

Now I'm considering staying charcoal and getting a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. At least till I change my mind.

I bought the masterbuilt 30" digital electric last week and smoked two chickens over the weekend. I love the "set and forget" temperature. Adding chips every ~ hour was not bad. The smoker held the set temperature set point +/- 10 degrees F. The chickens were awesome. Can't wait to try my hand at smoked peppers.

Smoking salmon right now. It held 100F very well for the first two hours. Just bumped it up to 120F. So far so good.

SWEET! You have your new smoker, What area of USA are you in? Any pics of the goodies?

We add a large handful of chips to the pan(masterbuilt electric) and it seems to go for hours. Might be the wood or we added too much, but I was surprised at how long the chips lasted. On the first smoke, I checked every hour but it didn't need anything. The setitforgetit is nice with our ~20F outside temps.

I am in the SW Ohio area. Sadly no pics. the salmon turned out GREAT. I brought some in to work and those that like smoked salmon thougth it was delicious. I too only added hickory chips every hour or so. 100F for two hours, then 120F for two hours, 140 for two hours and 160F until the meat temp was 150F (about an hour). Thinking of the next adventure - maybe hellfire jerky?

Back