• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling proper head-space when bottling

Hello all, 
I've making sauce as a hobby but don't know much about the business side of it. Can someone please help with my rookie questions?
from the process filling form from FDA site. 1) what is the percent head space and 2) what is the vacuum

my question is,  what is the proper head space, and what do they mean by what is the vacuum? again I am just trying to learn

Thank you

DA SAWSS GUY said:
Thank you much.

With head space it has to do with making sure you've got the appropriate amount of sauce in the bottle iirc.  Vacuum has to do with how the sauce is packed, as in hot fill/hold or whatever method you're using.  pH is very important to the process authority.

Also your local health department should be contacted - it's highly likely they have additional requirements.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce and/or Salsa Lady would be great resources for you on this - try reaching out to them for more info.  

1/2" head space.... 

and don't get too involved with the FDA website to start with.  Your first stop should be your local or state health authority.  Then send your finalized sauces with recipe to a process authority.  Once the PA approves your recipe and process, that gets submitted to the FDA (If you need FDA licensing). 

First things first though...how is your recipe?  Have you done a TON of test batches?  Do you have it down to the gram for every ingredient?  Can you make it exactly the same 10 times in a row? 

And Finally....what do people who are not your Friends&Family say about the sauce?  LuckyDogHotSauce (aka Scott) posted one of the best methods to get free and unbiased feedback.  Take a bottle to a picnic or potluck,.and anonymously put it out on the table.  Listen to what people have to say. 

Most importantly, Have Fun!!!

salsalady

not sure what you are asking, Solsa (and :welcome: to THP)

1/2" head space is pretty much industry standard for all types of canning and hot packing, whether in sauce woozy bottles or regular mason canning jars.  If you have more head space, it's usually not an issue.  Like up to an inch or so.  More than that, I don't think it is a "problem", unless the bottle is half full or something, in which case the sauce may cool down too quickly and the bottle cap may not get sterilized and the bottle might not get a good vacuum seal. 

does that answer your question?  :shrug:
SL

Salsalady, I love you!  ;)

I am wondering if I make a hot sauce and place them in these bottles, would I want to process them in a hot water bath like I would with mason jars? Are these not suitable for processing, or even boiling them to sanitize first?

https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin18ab.html

salsalady said:
unless the bottle is half full or something, in which case the sauce may cool down too quickly and the bottle cap may not get sterilized and the bottle might not get a good vacuum seal. 

does that answer your question?  :shrug:
SL

Bottles with plastic caps can not be boiled. There are metal caps with the rubber ring on the inside that fit the woozy bottles which can be BWB.

The bottles you linked are typical hot sauce bottles which work using the processes lined out in a Making hot sauce 101.

A woozie holds 5.5 fluid ounces to the top. Retail you fill it 5 fluid ounces. There's your headspace ;) Notice the hot sauces you buy say 5 fluid oz.

Back