• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Pubescens species?

So my climate isn't probably great for this species of chilli but I have a a plant I know only as pubescens Longo ? Its just been transplanted out side and is doing ok so far comming into our winter it will probably do very well.
Anyone ever heard of it? Grown it? or other pubes?
They have great flowers.

Pubescens look great with the purple flowers and the hairy leaves! I'm not sure about your variety though. I have only heard and am growing Rocoto Aji Largo, maybe that's the one!?

Any pics?

Sure ain't a Largo, but tbh I can't say for sure what it is, maybe one of the so called "Pube" varieties spreading atm.... Sorry, man!

The leaves don't look hairy at all, kinda confusing, but it's a Rocoto for sure!

I don't thinkthe actual parent plant was doing that well, but it was producing fruit heavily.
He said to me
"A friend had given me some chillies from their parents plant - which has been at their family home since the 50s. (it was a huge plant)
I'd kept the seeds and planted them about a year ago, which has since flourished and producing huge bulbuous chillies."
I'm yet to get some pods.... plenty of flowers but I think it was too hot and now the plant has been cut right back to the stump and is setting new leaves.
I'll post some pics when I get some fruit in the comming months. curious plant I've always liked the Pubescens types but have pretty much killed allI have attempted to grow lol.

They tend to take much longer to germinate for me and are a bit tougher to grow than annuums or chinenses, but well worth the effort. The best part of growing Rocotos IMO is that they already smell like chili pods as soon as they have developed a 2nd pair of leaves... In case you never noticed, try it - just like perfume!!! :)

yeah, that's what I mean.... Would be strange though, if the mother plant is that old... hm.... let's wait and see.... good luck!

The mother of his plant was old, his plant was 2 years or so.
There are so many that look similiar....I'll have to wait for flower photos before I try and really think about what or were this variety is and came from.
Apparently the pods are pretty hot but.

stillmanz said:
Anyone ever heard of it? Grown it? or other pubes?
I've grown pubes before....wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean say no more.... :lol: ;)

I grew a Rocoto that got huge but didn't flower or start to produce until a month before I left LA.... :(

:rolleyes: LOL. I'm growing Rocoto red, orange and yellow this year and they are certainly big and hairy. They're not to keen on having as much sun as others naturally but I'm training them.

The only one readily identifiable I am growing this year is called a Bolivian Hairy...tried to show the hairs in the close up...come on baby, groooooooooowwwwwwww

BolivianHairy-1.jpg

BolivianHairy.jpg

yep thats a beautiful flower willard posted.

I've never grown any baccatum chiles before but this year I'm growing several.

- lemon drop (15 plants)
- aji red/aji rojo (2)

waiting on these from CCN
- aji omnicolor (2)
- aji yellow (2)

I'm hoping these species do better for my location, if they do then I'll be growing more varities of baccatum next season.

Manzano is one of the favorite Pubescens I have grown:

http://www.thechileman.org/results....ny&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

I purchased a small plant from the 2005 Chilli Fiesta and have successfully over wintered the plant for a few years. Its currently growing happily in the back garden (in Northern England).

Manzano meaning 'apple', originates from Mexico. Like its Peruvian & Bolivian cousins the Rocoto and Locoto, the plants can be fussy growers (in my experience). Seeds can be slow to germinate and plants prefer dapple shade and a temperature range of between 60- 75oF rather than hot humid conditions. Mature plants have a better resistance to lower temperatures (not hard frosts) than the other four domesticated chile species (the others being annuum, chinese, frutescens and baccatum) hence why they tend to over winter well. Pubescens is also the only domesticated Capsicum species with no wild form; however, two wild species ‘Cardenasii’ and ‘Eximium’ are closely related.

Pubescens are grown most widely today in the Andes from Chile to Colombia, mostly in small family plots. Plants tend to be large growing up to 8ft in perfect conditions (although 3ft is more normal) and have large hairy, oval shaped leaves and stunning flowers which stand erect on the plant. Flowers tend to have purple corollas and purple/white anthers and are amongst the most beautiful of all the chile species. Check out the chileman database for more stunning examples.

As well as their hairy leaves, another distinguishing feature of the Pubescens species is their unusual black seeds which are very hard (like apple pips) and should be removed before eating. In terms of seed production, pubescens do not cross pollinate readily with any of the four other domesticed chile species and therefore in theory all seeds produced by a Pubescens variety in a mixed garden will be 'true' and viable.

Fruits are generally apple or an elongated pear (peron) shaped are at their most tasty when eaten fresh and should be left on the plant until needed. They come in three broad types – Amarillo (orange), rojo (red) or canario (yellow) - an indication of their maturity colour. Immature fruits are green.

One of the joys of these plants is that the fruits produce a unique and complex blend of capasaicinoids (pungency compounds), causing some people to believe they are hotter than habaneros. In parts of the Americas they are referred to as ‘el mas picante de los picantes’ - the hottest of the hot.

Mark

Next year I definitely want to grow a Manzano. This year I have a turbo-pube plant that I'm anxious to try. I'll have to keep a look out for the Old El Paso pickled manzano's:)

darlochileman said:
One of the joys of these plants is that the fruits produce a unique and complex blend of capasaicinoids (pungency compounds), causing some people to believe they are hotter than habaneros. In parts of the Americas they are referred to as ‘el mas picante de los picantes’ - the hottest of the hot.

Mark

Mark...do you know the breakdown of the capsaicinoids within the pubes?...I have done a lot of research on the different burns the different capsaicinoids have and where they burn the mouth...just can't find enough information on the net about it...

I am using this information to try and get the burn all over the mouth, palate, and throat for my chili....(and other dishes)

Back