• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2014 Grow log - Prepping for next year!

Finally, I will get this glog going for the season.  I'm excited for lots of gardening this year, and hopefully a better harvest year this year after our cold and slow start to summer in 2013.  I hope this winter is not an indication of how summer will go, as we are having one of the snowiest winters on record.

Here is the pepper garden on Christmas Eve.

snow.jpg

Now imagine it with another 2-3 feet of snow on it. I need to get another picture. It's ridiculous.

So, what do we do? We plan for the garden!

This year's pepper grow list is a bit trimmed down. The goal is 115-120 pepper plants. We'll see.

2014 Grow list
1. Red Rocoto - Tradewinds
2. Yellow Manzano - Hooda
3. Giant Mexican Rocoto - pepperlover
4. Golden Rocoto - pepperlover
5. Scotch Bonnet MoA - Steve954
6. Scotch Bonnet Montego Bay - Pic1
7. Scotch Bonnet TFM - Pic1
8. Tobago Scotch Bonnet Yellow - pepperlover
9. Tobago Scotch Bonnet Red - pepperlover
10. Tobago Seasoning - pepperlover
11(a). Bahamian Goat - Ajijoe
11(b). Bahamian Goat - Cappy via Pic1
12. Fatali - pepperlover
13. Bhut Jolokia Red - pepperlover
14. Bhut Jolokia Peach - Ajijoe
15. Bhut Jolokia White - pepperlover
16. Bhut Indian Carbon - Ajijoe
17. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion - Buckeye Pepper
18. 7 Pot Yellow - Buckeye Pepper
19. HP22B (Carolina Reaper) - Buckeye Pepper
20. Yellow CARDI Scorpion - Romy6
21. Bishop's Crown - Buckeye Pepper
22. Aji Lemon - Pepperlover
23. Trinidad Morova - Pepperlover
24. Harold St. Barts Habanero - Ajijoe
25. Tonga Orange Habanero - Ajijoe
26. Birgits Locoto - Tradewinds
27. White Hab (with stinger) - PaulG
28. Cherry Bomb - Tradewinds
29. Jalapeno - Pepperjoe
30. Mulato Isleno Pablano - Tradewinds
31. Bells - to be purchased
32. Chocolate Cherry - Ajijoe
33. Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate - Buckeye Pepper
34. Jimmy Nardello - pepperlover
35. Chinese 5 Color - Ajijoe
36. Royal Black - Ajijoe
37. Explosive Ignite - Ajijoe
38. Adjoema - Ajijoe
39. 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow - pepperlover

The numbers are given to help with labeling. I first numbered some cups - and then put in a 2/3 strength chamomile tea solution. This combats dampening off, as the tea is an anti fungal. Here they are soaking:

soaking.jpg

I decided to go back to making my own seed mix again this year. Here are the ingredients:

ingredients.jpg

Doing my own mix will make a lighter soil to start the seeds because I have a heavier concentration of sphagnum peat moss.
Here is the recipe:
5 gallons sphagnum peat moss
3 gallons compost (I used 'Dairy Doo' - a local product)
10 Tbsp Happy Frog jump start fertilizer
about 10 Tbsp of a root fertilizer
about 10 Tbsp of the shrimp shell
1 gallons vermiculite
1 gallons perlite

Here I am with my girls, mixing dirt:

mix.jpg

I put them in 72 cells per tray this year. Smaller than last year, so I'll have to pot up sooner, but you can start more in a smaller area, so I'm pleased.
I also purchased a large heat mat that covers two trays, and a smaller one for one tray, as well as a thermostat. I want the consistent heat so I can get these started. Some of the pubescens were especially difficult last year and I wanted to change that.

setup.jpg

Seeds went in soil on January 31, at night after the kids were in bed. They've been in there about 10 days now and I'm doing pretty good. Here are some seedlings:

seedlings.jpg

After a couple of weeks I'll put germination rates up.

I have also had much better luck with my overwintered plants this year. I think I had to get rid of 3 plants, but that leaves me with 7 plants. I'm thrilled with that. Once again - Greg (Pic1) has a great step by step method for bringing them indoors. It's done well by me. Anyway, I have 2 manzanos, 2 red rocotos, and 3 chinense of some variety that I lost track of. Here is a picture:

ow.jpg

I'm planning quite a bit in regards to what I'll be growing. I live in a parsonage - which is a house provided by the church while I am at this church. In the Methodist system I could be moved any time, which sucks, but we don't tend to be moved as much as you military folk, usually. Anyway, the struggle is do I plant fruits and perennials knowing I could be moved? I have decided to go for it, and am filling up my little lawn. I used google maps to get a satellite shot of my yard, then traced over that picture in Illustrator, and it gave me a drawing to scale of the property so I could plan where to put stuff. Here it is:

grow-map-2.jpg

I've already ordered more stuff, but as you can see, I have or am putting in several different things, such as:
4 Currants
Autumn Olive
3 Kinds of Asian Pear
June Berry
Jerusalem artichoke
3 nanking Cherries
3 kinds of blueberries
Gooseberry
Horseradish
Hardy Kiwi
rhubarb
jostaberry
gogiberry
raspberries
and several herbs
as well as annuals

I'm trying to start some bearberry - which I've never done before. It needs to be scarified and cold stratified. Basically, you need to replicate what would happen in the north if the berry was eaten by a bear in the fall. So I scarred it with a nail file, put it in 180 degree water for 20 minutes, then put the seed in a freezer baggy and into the freezer for 2 months. Then I'll plant it and wait for 1-2 months. If this thing sprouts, I'll feel like a hero!

bearberry.jpg

Anyway, that's the sort of thing I'm messing around with. I've got more experiments and stuff I'll show along the way, as well as my companion planting I'll do. I want more flowers earlier in the year this year for beneficial insects. We'll see.

In closing - here I am with my younger daughter. It's our grumpy faces to scare away winter.

grumpy.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Andy,

WOW!! you have been busy since my last stop here, the feremented sauce looks really good and another kudos on the packaging. The honeyberry plants are peaking my interest too.  Thanks for the link on where you got them I see some grapes and other berries that I will have to look at. I bought a few grapes and blackberries from HD about a month ago and I havent seen much life on them since planting them, but I give a little more time before i give up on them. 

Also what a great idea on the pepper draft, looks like good fun and good food. Way to spread the heat!

PaulG said:
That is so awesome, Andy.  What a cool event.  They are lucky to have you as their pastor!

Thanks Paul - we have really enjoyed the folks at this church.  It's been a lot of fun to do stuff like this together.

RocketMan said:
Looks like a blast Andy, BTW, what does it say under your big head on the shirt? Next you need to get some Pepper Draft Bandanas made up.

:)

It was a lot of fun!  The shirts say, "May the soil be with you".  One of the guys has a tshirt shop and designed it.  Bandanas are a great idea, I think I'll pass that on!
beerbreath81 said:
Andy,

WOW!! you have been busy since my last stop here, the feremented sauce looks really good and another kudos on the packaging. The honeyberry plants are peaking my interest too.  Thanks for the link on where you got them I see some grapes and other berries that I will have to look at. I bought a few grapes and blackberries from HD about a month ago and I havent seen much life on them since planting them, but I give a little more time before i give up on them. 

Also what a great idea on the pepper draft, looks like good fun and good food. Way to spread the heat!

Thanks!  You should try those honeyberries - they may grow well for you in Colorado.  I think Starks is a pretty good place to order from, we'll see.  The pepper draft has been a great way to share my love of hot peppers as well as have fun with some folks.  I hope it's something I can continue next year.

Devv said:
I guess it's moving time??

Ugh, not quite yet.  That will come mid-June.  But... it is sort through crap, clean, and packing time.  Which is... less than awesome.

But, I do have an update!

Last week I moved everything out of the growspace in the basement and into my little greenhouse.

Here is a tray of peppers on their way out.  At the bottom you can see part of my youngest, who is crawling all over the place now.

peppers.jpg

They all went into the greenhouse:

greenhouse.jpg

Here are couple specific peppers - a MoA Scotch Bonnet

moa.jpg

I've potted some stuff up - like this Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion:

jays.jpg

And some stuff with 'nons' - I've received shipments of stuff from Jungs and Starks that I ordered prior to knowing I'd be moving. So... I had to put them into the ground in a temporary spot.

So, here you'll see a long pile of mulched woodchips mixed with manure that I've raked back because I'm taking it with me. It's much too valuable to simply leave behind, plus the next pastor doesn't garden. Behind the pile is a row of plants that you may or may not be able to see. They include (starting from the left) 2 Red Haven Peach trees, butterfly bushes, service berries, honeyberries, 5 raspberries, 2 gogi berries, and 1 new hardy kiwi to join my other two up against the trellis. Those will all need to be replanted in the new place. Hopefully they survive, and hopefully the deer don't eat them all.

temporary.jpg

Some others:

The gooseberry is coming to life
gooseberry.jpg

As is the nanking cherry:
nanking.jpg

and my pear tree is blossoming
pear.jpg

Finally, here is a full shot of my youngest. He turns 1 on the 20th!

drummer.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Looking good.  Jay's Peach Scorpion will be nice, did you grow it last year too?  I'm trying it for the first time myself...

Spicegeist said:
Looking good.  Jay's Peach Scorpion will be nice, did you grow it last year too?  I'm trying it for the first time myself...

It's my first year with it too.  Those pods just look awesome, so I had to try them out.  

Looking good Andy!

Your son is adorable! Love those blue eyes, so bright blue.

I feel ya on getting ready for the move! My wife and I have been here 25 years and when time allows we're going through EVERYTHING. It seems like it never ends!

Heck yeah! I would take all that hard work with me too!

Have a great week!

It was a busy day on the Pulpiteer homestead, but that was a good thing because I needed to get a lot done.  Last week I was out most of the week with the noro virus.  If you've never had the noro virus, don't. 

As I wrote before, I've got everything in the greenhouse now.  The other night I discovered that the greenhouse had a live in guest.

toad.jpg

I was fine with this, of course, and told him (or her) to make herself at home.

As the peppers have been growing, I've been potting them up. Here is a Harold St. Bart Habanero (aji joe)

hsb.jpg

Here is the potting up process - I'm sure you are all familiar, but just in case. Oh, and this fine specimen is a Yellow CARDI Scorp, seeds from a pod Jamie (romy6) sent me a few years ago.

You can see the roots are ready to move up.

potup1.jpg

I gently break them up with my fingers, trying not to tear all the roots out. I just want to untangle everything. Here it is:

potup2.jpg

Finally, I put it in a larger container. I've been saving large cottage cheese and yogurt containers for years. They work well for pots after you put some drainage holes in them.

potup3.jpg

Here are some HP22B Carolina Reapers (buckeye pepper):

reaper.jpg

And here is a Bahamian Goat (aji joe) before pot up.

bgoat.jpg

So the peppers are coming along pretty good.

Today I also built a screen from some extra wood and chicken wire I had from my dissembled growing area. I've been meaning to build one ever since I saw Paul G's compost sifter about 2 years back. I know Paul is probably not the first one to invent this, but in my mind he is, so there.

screen.jpg

I do wish I had a mesh with smaller holes, but this is the one I had, so it works. I'll be sifting through my compost to take my good stuff with me. I'll bury the rest of the larger pieces so they can decompose in place and fertilize the ground after I leave.

Finally, I harvested some Jerusalem artichokes, or sunchokes today. The tubers are what you are after. This bunch here is a little less than what you have after you let one tuber grow out for a season. They reproduce like crazy, so that's cool:

sunchoke1.jpg

They taste kind of like water chestnuts raw, but you can use them as a potato substitute if you peel and cook them. They are very low starch, so diabetics like them, I hear. I just sliced these up, put them in some oil and fried them. Add a little salt and it's reasonably close to fried potatoes. I like them.

sunchoke2.jpg

If the eating isn't good enough to sell you, the sunchoke grows like 6 feet high and has sunflower like flowers on it. It's a very neat plant and easy to grow and share. I actually pulled these out today because I am giving some tubers to a church member to grow and she's giving me some bulbs to plant.

And that's all I've got.

Thanks for stopping by!

Your peppers look great, Andy - really glossy and healthy!
Great job given the stress of moving and packing; not necessarily
in that order   ;)

How far do you have to move?  I'm wondering about transporting
the peppers and all the compost/mulch!  

Good luck prepping for the move.  I'll understand if you are absent for a while!

Thanks for the compost sifter credit   :rofl:
You will want to back the chicken wire with some hardware cloth - either
plastic or metal will work.  For your purposes this move, the chicken wire
will probably be quite satisfactory.  The next time I make one, I'll probably
leave off the wire and go with the hardware cloth.  With my luck this one
will last forever!

PaulG said:
Your peppers look great, Andy - really glossy and healthy!
Great job given the stress of moving and packing; not necessarily
in that order   ;)

How far do you have to move?  I'm wondering about transporting
the peppers and all the compost/mulch!  

Good luck prepping for the move.  I'll understand if you are absent for a while!

Thanks for the compost sifter credit   :rofl:
You will want to back the chicken wire with some hardware cloth - either
plastic or metal will work.  For your purposes this move, the chicken wire
will probably be quite satisfactory.  The next time I make one, I'll probably
leave off the wire and go with the hardware cloth.  With my luck this one
will last forever!

Thanks so much Paul!  It has been different getting everything around with the upcoming move.  Luckily the new place is only 25-30 miles away, so transport won't be that bad.  I'm worried about replanting my trees in June, but I'll water them and hope for the best.  We are down to about 3 weeks before the move, so it's getting close.

You are the compost sifter master in my book.  There is no other!
I'll have to check out that hardware cloth.  I guess it wouldn't be too hard to just attach it to what I have.  The frame and structure is already in place.  I'm glad to hear yours is holding up!  That's the way it works, right, if you want to do a new one, it'll last forever, but if you really need it that season, it'll go on you.  Murphy's law chapter 2 section 5, I believe. 

"  I guess it wouldn't be too hard to just attach it to what I have. "

​That's exactly what I did.  Started with chicken wire and found the
holes are too big, so just put on a layer of hardware cloth right
over/under the wire.

"Murphy's law chapter 2 section 5"   :rofl: 

Plants are looking good! Nice color and vigor.

I made a sifter too. I had some material left over from a stucco project (like 8 sheets) and used one for the sifter. The holes are oblong and smaller than a dime. My idea was to sift the ground wood mulch, except it was taking forever. It quickly became one of those "life's too short" things ;)

What about pulling the trees and potting them, then placing them in the shade to get over the shock? I'm sure the trees will have to be cut back a bit too. I hope they do well for you!

been wanting to grow them tubers.. i did read about it and its a potato sub.... is taht something you can send via SFRB... id pay to ship?

any heavenly sauces in the making?

Devv said:
Plants are looking good! Nice color and vigor.

I made a sifter too. I had some material left over from a stucco project (like 8 sheets) and used one for the sifter. The holes are oblong and smaller than a dime. My idea was to sift the ground wood mulch, except it was taking forever. It quickly became one of those "life's too short" things ;)

What about pulling the trees and potting them, then placing them in the shade to get over the shock? I'm sure the trees will have to be cut back a bit too. I hope they do well for you!

Thanks! Not a bad idea about getting the trees through the shock.  I think if I have issues with a tree not taking the transplant well, I may pull it back up, pot it, and put it in shade.  We'll see.  The whole thing is less than optimal, but whatever makes it will make it and the rest I'll replace as a go.

buddy said:
Looking good!  Good luck with your 2014 growing season.

Thanks!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
been wanting to grow them tubers.. i did read about it and its a potato sub.... is taht something you can send via SFRB... id pay to ship?

any heavenly sauces in the making?

Hey Denniz - yeah I can send you some.  You may want to try checking out your local markets though first.  We can buy them here at a large produce market we have in Lansing.  They sell the tubers to eat, but those would still work fine to grow.  If you don't have any luck PM me and we'll set something up.

My sauces are on hold until I get moved now, I think.  But the last batch I made went over well.  I've got a retired guy from the congregation who is so in love with it that he wants me to teach him how to ferment peppers.  Just spreading more heat...

Andy,
Aways a great read- glad the new location has worked out nicely.
You starts were looking REALLY happy , and that draft sounds like a great way to pass on those extra plants.
I had more to say, but I'm on the iphone -if you know what I mean!
Looks like Lansing got a pretty deal-
Keep it up!
DJ

I said that about the trees because we belong to the Audubon society. We get trees every year and they are just bare root. They're cool and send them while it's still cool here, which nobody else does. The rest send them when their climate is right for planting, and by then it's super hot here... We pot them and keep them in the shade until they sprout leaves and then harden them off and plant them in March. So far so good ;)

Wow, you've got a lot going on, Andy.  I love the homemade maple syrup.  I have one huge tree here on my place I've often thought of tapping.  It's not every year the weather is right here, though. 

I always like seeing those toads.  It doesn't seem like there are as many around as when I was a kid.  Maybe that's just because of different locations.

That seems a little odd to me that they move you around like that.  How long have you been at the current location?  I always thought pastors/preachers/ministers, etc, were a more or less permanent part of the community.  Live and learn.  No further than you're moving, maybe you can find a place half way in between and double participation in future pepper drafts.

I grew sunchokes once.  I tried steaming them and didn't really care for the texture.  They were nice and crunchy raw, though.

Are you keeping your peppers in pots until you get to the new place?

Back