• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2014 Grow log - Prepping for next year!

Finally, I will get this glog going for the season.  I'm excited for lots of gardening this year, and hopefully a better harvest year this year after our cold and slow start to summer in 2013.  I hope this winter is not an indication of how summer will go, as we are having one of the snowiest winters on record.

Here is the pepper garden on Christmas Eve.

snow.jpg

Now imagine it with another 2-3 feet of snow on it. I need to get another picture. It's ridiculous.

So, what do we do? We plan for the garden!

This year's pepper grow list is a bit trimmed down. The goal is 115-120 pepper plants. We'll see.

2014 Grow list
1. Red Rocoto - Tradewinds
2. Yellow Manzano - Hooda
3. Giant Mexican Rocoto - pepperlover
4. Golden Rocoto - pepperlover
5. Scotch Bonnet MoA - Steve954
6. Scotch Bonnet Montego Bay - Pic1
7. Scotch Bonnet TFM - Pic1
8. Tobago Scotch Bonnet Yellow - pepperlover
9. Tobago Scotch Bonnet Red - pepperlover
10. Tobago Seasoning - pepperlover
11(a). Bahamian Goat - Ajijoe
11(b). Bahamian Goat - Cappy via Pic1
12. Fatali - pepperlover
13. Bhut Jolokia Red - pepperlover
14. Bhut Jolokia Peach - Ajijoe
15. Bhut Jolokia White - pepperlover
16. Bhut Indian Carbon - Ajijoe
17. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion - Buckeye Pepper
18. 7 Pot Yellow - Buckeye Pepper
19. HP22B (Carolina Reaper) - Buckeye Pepper
20. Yellow CARDI Scorpion - Romy6
21. Bishop's Crown - Buckeye Pepper
22. Aji Lemon - Pepperlover
23. Trinidad Morova - Pepperlover
24. Harold St. Barts Habanero - Ajijoe
25. Tonga Orange Habanero - Ajijoe
26. Birgits Locoto - Tradewinds
27. White Hab (with stinger) - PaulG
28. Cherry Bomb - Tradewinds
29. Jalapeno - Pepperjoe
30. Mulato Isleno Pablano - Tradewinds
31. Bells - to be purchased
32. Chocolate Cherry - Ajijoe
33. Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate - Buckeye Pepper
34. Jimmy Nardello - pepperlover
35. Chinese 5 Color - Ajijoe
36. Royal Black - Ajijoe
37. Explosive Ignite - Ajijoe
38. Adjoema - Ajijoe
39. 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow - pepperlover

The numbers are given to help with labeling. I first numbered some cups - and then put in a 2/3 strength chamomile tea solution. This combats dampening off, as the tea is an anti fungal. Here they are soaking:

soaking.jpg

I decided to go back to making my own seed mix again this year. Here are the ingredients:

ingredients.jpg

Doing my own mix will make a lighter soil to start the seeds because I have a heavier concentration of sphagnum peat moss.
Here is the recipe:
5 gallons sphagnum peat moss
3 gallons compost (I used 'Dairy Doo' - a local product)
10 Tbsp Happy Frog jump start fertilizer
about 10 Tbsp of a root fertilizer
about 10 Tbsp of the shrimp shell
1 gallons vermiculite
1 gallons perlite

Here I am with my girls, mixing dirt:

mix.jpg

I put them in 72 cells per tray this year. Smaller than last year, so I'll have to pot up sooner, but you can start more in a smaller area, so I'm pleased.
I also purchased a large heat mat that covers two trays, and a smaller one for one tray, as well as a thermostat. I want the consistent heat so I can get these started. Some of the pubescens were especially difficult last year and I wanted to change that.

setup.jpg

Seeds went in soil on January 31, at night after the kids were in bed. They've been in there about 10 days now and I'm doing pretty good. Here are some seedlings:

seedlings.jpg

After a couple of weeks I'll put germination rates up.

I have also had much better luck with my overwintered plants this year. I think I had to get rid of 3 plants, but that leaves me with 7 plants. I'm thrilled with that. Once again - Greg (Pic1) has a great step by step method for bringing them indoors. It's done well by me. Anyway, I have 2 manzanos, 2 red rocotos, and 3 chinense of some variety that I lost track of. Here is a picture:

ow.jpg

I'm planning quite a bit in regards to what I'll be growing. I live in a parsonage - which is a house provided by the church while I am at this church. In the Methodist system I could be moved any time, which sucks, but we don't tend to be moved as much as you military folk, usually. Anyway, the struggle is do I plant fruits and perennials knowing I could be moved? I have decided to go for it, and am filling up my little lawn. I used google maps to get a satellite shot of my yard, then traced over that picture in Illustrator, and it gave me a drawing to scale of the property so I could plan where to put stuff. Here it is:

grow-map-2.jpg

I've already ordered more stuff, but as you can see, I have or am putting in several different things, such as:
4 Currants
Autumn Olive
3 Kinds of Asian Pear
June Berry
Jerusalem artichoke
3 nanking Cherries
3 kinds of blueberries
Gooseberry
Horseradish
Hardy Kiwi
rhubarb
jostaberry
gogiberry
raspberries
and several herbs
as well as annuals

I'm trying to start some bearberry - which I've never done before. It needs to be scarified and cold stratified. Basically, you need to replicate what would happen in the north if the berry was eaten by a bear in the fall. So I scarred it with a nail file, put it in 180 degree water for 20 minutes, then put the seed in a freezer baggy and into the freezer for 2 months. Then I'll plant it and wait for 1-2 months. If this thing sprouts, I'll feel like a hero!

bearberry.jpg

Anyway, that's the sort of thing I'm messing around with. I've got more experiments and stuff I'll show along the way, as well as my companion planting I'll do. I want more flowers earlier in the year this year for beneficial insects. We'll see.

In closing - here I am with my younger daughter. It's our grumpy faces to scare away winter.

grumpy.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Toads are great.  I've seen a few more than usual around here this year.  They are great insect predators, if somewhat indiscriminate.  They are also a good sign you don't have an overload of toxic pesticide residue.

How is the comfrey doing?  If you're having troubles with soil fertility, I'm guessing maybe not all that well.  My #4 never did come up, but the #14 is doing well, in spite of rabbit chomping.  It takes a lot of water and ferts, though.

Are you planning a winter cover crop for your garden?  A combination of cold-hardy legume and grain would give you a big boost for next year.

Sawyer said:
Toads are great.  I've seen a few more than usual around here this year.  They are great insect predators, if somewhat indiscriminate.  They are also a good sign you don't have an overload of toxic pesticide residue.

How is the comfrey doing?  If you're having troubles with soil fertility, I'm guessing maybe not all that well.  My #4 never did come up, but the #14 is doing well, in spite of rabbit chomping.  It takes a lot of water and ferts, though.

Are you planning a winter cover crop for your garden?  A combination of cold-hardy legume and grain would give you a big boost for next year.

Good point about the toads and pesticide residue.  I hadn't thought of that, but that is encouraging.  
My comfrey is actually doing very well, but that's in a different part of the yard.  I put it in the front with the fruit trees and bushes.  It had been suffering a bit from the transplant, but it is rooted in and going full on now, which is awesome.  Also, a friend gave me one of the bockings, I am not sure which one, but I've got the regular comfrey and a bocking now.  
I am not planning a cover crop.  Instead I'm planning on laying down a ton of manure, compost, leaves, and any organic material I can get and then putting mulch on the top of it.  I want it there through the winter so it just composts in place, and then I'll plant into it next spring.  

gnslngr said:
"I didn't get any of the Tobago or Trinidad treasures - but I seem to remember looking at them at pepperlover.  How were they?"

Very good!

I may have to try those then!

PaulG said:
Great idea, John.

Get right on it, Andy   ;)

:rofl:

Hello again!

We got back this week from a much needed family vacation to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  For those of you unfamiliar with the state, it's absolutely beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing.  As relaxing as it can be with 4 young children that is.  I loved it.  

Here's a picture of the entire Pulpiteer family with the amazing Mackinaw Bridge in the background:

family.jpg

So... good news and bad news of various sorts in the Pulpiteer gardening world.

Bad news first.

Our Nikon DSLR is not working. We have to find a good camera repair shop, then decide if it's worth it to fix and what we can afford. That's part of why the updates have been slow this year - moving and a breaking down camera. These pictures were taken with a point and click. It'll work.

The grasses and weeds have loved my garden. I didn't have time to weed - with the move. Although, massive weeding is not really in my gameplan. I'd rather massively mulch. However, this year I don't have a woodchip source yet and the space was significantly larger than my previous space, and with moving my time has been short, so... the grasses and weeds are going nuts. In some spots it's almost waist high.

wide.jpg

So, with sandy soil, and weeds that are sucking the few nutrients I do have, most of my plants are a similar size as when I put them in the ground. They could not out compete the weeds and shade them out. They look hideous and yellowish. This documentation will hopefully provide the "before" photos to a wonderful turnaround. I hope.

grass.jpg

It's so bad, I'm out there picking peppers and I think mice are skittering around my feet. I can't quite see them, but something little is running around in the tall grass. I kept thinking about some of you guys' comments on the really solid grows, things like, "looks great! Very nice, clean grow! Not a leaf out of place - those look like lettuce leaves they are so huge!" And I thought to myself - this is whatever the exact opposite of that is.  :lol: 

The good news.

The perennial garden in the front yard is holding its own.

front.jpg

The trees and shrubs will grow and fill in - they survived transplant! And this yard really should look drastically different in a few years.

Here is a giant comfrey by a peach tree:

comfrey.jpg

These are wild (read: thorny) gooseberries from the farm that is in my family. It was settled by my dad's family prior to the Civil War and looks to be soon passing from our family, so it's cool to have these plants.

gooseberries.jpg

Here is my grafted dwarf Asian Pear - 3 varieties of pear on this. Plus Purple Coneflower, some horseradish right by it, some catnip, and a volunteer Nasturtium that is doing awesome. This just shows the difference in soil in the front yard, and how the mulching worked better.

pear.jpg

Here's my third child with a Persimmon tree, butterfly bush, and some strawberry yarrow:

persimmon.jpg

And here's something cool - a few plants did produce. Now keep in mind, I had like 100 pepper plants out there and this will be my big harvest. It's super small considering that, but it's something.

harvest.jpg

Something else important tonight as well. Probably the best news on the pepper front, actually. Here are two varieties of Scotch Bonnets and two funky Reapers. Now the Bonnets were isolated a bit because I am out of seed for them. The seed was a gift from Greg (Pic1), so it's something I can't just go out and replace. One of the things that sucked about the garden tanking was losing these two lines of seed. I still have peppers in the freezer, so I'm not totally at a loss on pod supply. But those seeds were important. Well, since they were isolated and most other stuff didn't pollinate, I'm pretty confident these pods will replenish my seed for those varieties enough to keep that line in tact. I'm actually very pleased about that.

harvest2.jpg

And so there you go.

I am going to mail it in early this year in order to build towards next. I plan on documenting it as best I can, because I think it'll be interesting to try to transform a plot and show how I did it or how I failed. I'll pick a few pubescens, like the Giant Mexican Rocoto, to over winter. I'll dig those up and then probably either till it all under or mow it down and cover it with cardboard then manure. If I close up shop early, it will give me more prep time before it's too cold.

Alright - thanks for stopping by!

Andy it looks like you enjoyed a nice getaway with the family. We did many weekend  ski trips to "u.p" ...and, Mackinaw island is a nice and relaxing place in the summer.

Dam weeds....its difficult to maintain them when there is extra time for the garden. Hopefully next season you can get an early start with the outside prep. Although the pepper plants are fighters....and that is a solid harvest. The two Bhuts on the right side of the photo look scary !
Hope all is well...

Have a great weekend !

Andy,

So glad you were able to get away with the fam for a while for some much needed R&R. It is always a pain in the neck starting over from scratch, even more when your late, even more when you just dont have the time to maintian like you want too. Nevertheless, I'm sure we can look at these pictures next year as a night and day transformation now that you will be settled in and have more time to tend to the gardens needs.  Still a very generous harvest given the circumstance....more than I got this year..lol. The perinial garden is coming along great and the fruit trees look very happy in their new homes all good stuff.

Take care!

Looks like you had a great vacation . Nothing compares to quality time with the ones you love .

You know I am still amazed at how you were able to get any harvest at all  with all the curve balls thrown your way this year . Most , including I would have scrapped the season( take the easy way out) . 

I am confident next year will be a break out season for ya . 

That's a pretty decent harvest, in spite of all the obstacles.  It's more than I've gotten from two and half times as many plants and I'm in the garden almost every day.  I do expect to get bigger pulls going forward, but I can tell most of my pods aren't going to have time to mature.  (Unless we get lucky with a late first frost and I don't expect that this year.)

Your comfrey looks happy.  You could already divide that one for many more plants.  My #14 is growing well, but the rabbits keep it trimmed back about as fast as it grows.

Andy,

For jumping in mid season and planting in unknown soil sand, anything harvested is a bonus. One thing I can say is for this season your skills didn't count. You never had a chance to apply them!

Even next season will be a challenge, sand is tough to get working right. And I have the right to say that considering my soil sand. If I can offer one bit of advise, if you can till the goodies in as early as you can. So they can mature over the winter. I know it gets way colder there, but the sooner they enter your garden the better the results!

Keep on a growing!

PIC 1 said:
Andy it looks like you enjoyed a nice getaway with the family. We did many weekend  ski trips to "u.p" ...and, Mackinaw island is a nice and relaxing place in the summer.

Dam weeds....its difficult to maintain them when there is extra time for the garden. Hopefully next season you can get an early start with the outside prep. Although the pepper plants are fighters....and that is a solid harvest. The two Bhuts on the right side of the photo look scary !
Hope all is well...

Have a great weekend !

The pods I did harvest had plenty of heat.  I figure it has to be because they were so tough to make it through all the weeds and stuff.  
And yeah, hopefully next year will look totally different!

beerbreath81 said:
Andy,

So glad you were able to get away with the fam for a while for some much needed R&R. It is always a pain in the neck starting over from scratch, even more when your late, even more when you just dont have the time to maintian like you want too. Nevertheless, I'm sure we can look at these pictures next year as a night and day transformation now that you will be settled in and have more time to tend to the gardens needs.  Still a very generous harvest given the circumstance....more than I got this year..lol. The perinial garden is coming along great and the fruit trees look very happy in their new homes all good stuff.

Take care!

I do hope the pictures will just go to show the transformation - even if it takes a few years.  As long as we move in the right direction.

romy6 said:
Looks like you had a great vacation . Nothing compares to quality time with the ones you love .

You know I am still amazed at how you were able to get any harvest at all  with all the curve balls thrown your way this year . Most , including I would have scrapped the season( take the easy way out) . 

I am confident next year will be a break out season for ya . 

Vacation was wonderful!  It was busy with 4 little ones, but really good family time.  

Sawyer said:
That's a pretty decent harvest, in spite of all the obstacles.  It's more than I've gotten from two and half times as many plants and I'm in the garden almost every day.  I do expect to get bigger pulls going forward, but I can tell most of my pods aren't going to have time to mature.  (Unless we get lucky with a late first frost and I don't expect that this year.)

Your comfrey looks happy.  You could already divide that one for many more plants.  My #14 is growing well, but the rabbits keep it trimmed back about as fast as it grows.

You'll be bringing in some monster harvests in a bit, I expect, but you put out a ridiculous amount to plants!  It is hard to have green pods killed off by a frost when just a little longer would have let them ripen.  The comfrey is doing great.  All my comfrey transplants are doing well, and I do have a bocking (not sure which one) now that is doing well.  I've fed some comfrey to our pet rabbits and they do think it's tasty!  Better to do it with pet rabbits though, than wild ones ripping you off!

Devv said:
Andy,

For jumping in mid season and planting in unknown soil sand, anything harvested is a bonus. One thing I can say is for this season your skills didn't count. You never had a chance to apply them!

Even next season will be a challenge, sand is tough to get working right. And I have the right to say that considering my soil sand. If I can offer one bit of advise, if you can till the goodies in as early as you can. So they can mature over the winter. I know it gets way colder there, but the sooner they enter your garden the better the results!

Keep on a growing!

Thanks!  Yeah, it's all about adding organic material at this point.  I'm trying to figure out exactly when to pull the plug on this season.  It'll be coming soon so that I can just start working on the soil for next spring.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I pulled the plug this weekend, ready to till most of it, but the ground is too hard.

I have the woblers running, hoping a few hours makes a difference.

A quick update before bed:

A couple of bad shots with our backup camera of some of the peppers.

First, a birgit locoto (Tradewinds)
birgits.jpg

Second, Tobago Seasoning (pepperlover). I'll definitely grow these again.
seasoning.jpg

And some good news. Tonight was pepper jelly making night.
First, the Bahamian Peach.

I bought some peaches at one of our favorite local spots to get cider. Luckily, we actually moved closer to this place, which is cool.

peach1.jpg

I decided to go with Bahamian Goat peppers for this one. I love their flavor. I got a few peppers from those plants this year. Not many, but enough for this, barely. And I wanted the peach to be a little milder on the heat scale. It's good to have some scorchers and some milder ones for people to try. Note the awesome pepper cutting board my good friend made for me.

peach2.jpg

The finished product. It was a big batch.

peach3.jpg

Recipe:
1 quart of peaches, peeled and food processed
9 Bahamian Goat peppers (I take out most of the seeds)
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 1/2 cups sugar (I use cane sugar)
1 1/2 pouch liquid pectin.

heat peaches, peppers, lemon juice, and sugar to a boil.
add pectin.  Bring back to a boil for 1 minute.
ladle hot into jars.
Water bath for 10 minutes.

The peach was mild.  The next was a scorcher.  It had my wife and I coughing as I cleaned up the pots and dishes just from the hot water and steam putting the capsaicin in the air.  She was two rooms over and it still got her.

Anyway - "wild berry fire"

I've saved the various berries I picked around here in the freezer, then added some extra blueberries and raspberries I bought from the store to fill it out so I had enough. I have raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, mulberries, ground cherries, and I think just a couple currants.

berry1.jpg

The fire portion of the jelly is from some frozen peppers from last season. 7 Pot Congo SR.

berry2.jpg

And the finished product:

berry3.jpg

Recipe:
1 quart various mixed berries
6 of the 7 Pot Congos
1/4 cup lemon juice
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin.

The process is the same as I did for the peach jelly above.

Alright, bed time.

Thanks for stopping by!

Alright, so this has been a very difficult garden year.  It frosted here October 20th, with a hard frost and the remaining plants were toast.  So I began to put into action my gameplan to improve the soil.

Just to catch you up to speed - we were moved by the denomination this year.  In our new place we have more space for a garden, but the soil is the edge of a farmer's field that is sandy and seems to be lacking nutrients.  It is not lacking in weeds.  So my pepper plants were small and yellow.  I am now trying to rebuild the soil, which will take a few years, but I'm laying a foundation.

First, I had it tilled.  This will, hopefully, be the last time I till it.  I did this to turn in all the old plants and weeds into the dirt.
step1.jpg

Next, I got a friend, one of my new parishioners, Dave, to bring some awesome organic material. He ended up bringing me piles and piles of compost, horse manure, and wood chip mulch, all from the city.

dave.jpg

I rounded up some boxes that I just happened to have on hand, and tore all the tape off and laid them down. Then we put a thin layer of compost over the top of it. The boxes will act as a barrier to keep the weeds from growing back.

step2.jpg

Here is a shot from just a bit further back, where you can see my new raspberry patch, asparagus and horseradish patch, as well as the new compost site for our house waste.

gardenview.jpg

For the next step, I completely threw out my back. Totally toasted my sciatic nerve. I actually missed two days of work. I went to the chiropractor for the second time today, and am doing a bit better, but now I'm behind. Here is what I have left:
-first, some more boxes and compost. Maybe add another few feet to the garden space. Right now I'm at about 47' x 25'. Not a bad amount of space, but my grow list is looking to be out of control for next year.
-second, spread some horse manure (there are two huge piles here, one in the foreground, the black compost, then more manure).

manure.jpg

I'm not sure how many yards of manure that is, but it's a lot. I need to put a layer of that down. After that I'll throw on the leaves I raked up. I may "shred" them with the riding mower first. Then finally, the wood chip mulch:

mulch.jpg

Three large piles of that.

This lasagna method will compost in place, add nutrients to the soil, and kickstart the microbiotic life that is necessary for healthy plant growth. Now, if my back will only hold out.

This evening, since I was doing a bit better, I decided to take the plants that were potted in the garage and prep them for overwintering. The process and keeping them going through the winter is a pain, but worth it. I have found especially with pubescens it has helped.

Step one: here are the 7 plants - 2 Red Rocotos, 2 Yellow Manzanos, 2 Giant Mexican Rocotos, 1 Bhut Orange Copenhagen

ow1.jpg

Step two: trim all leaves off, thoroughly clean the roots off, dip for 30 seconds in a bucket of water and dish soap, then brief dip in water and small amount of bleech. Then repot with fresh dirt and pot cleaned out. Spray with your favorite organic insecticide.

ow2.jpg

The finished products, all labeled:

ow3.jpg

Finally, I hope everyone had a happy Halloween. My week off came a week before Halloween, so I worked on costumes for the kids, who are 8, 6, 4, and 1 1/2 now. They were all characters from the Lego Movie.

halloween.jpg

Ok, this may be may last entry here, not sure. I'll do another glog next year which will hopefully feature the renewal of the land and a much better year of production.

Oh, and part of the reason my grow list is out of control is 2fold - first Coheed196 sent me a package of some amazing varieties of seed and I have to grow some of them out. Second, Judy at Pepperlover.com has a bunch of really cool new strains she is selling and I found myself ordering a bunch of them. So if you are in search of seeds, check it out.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

Garden prep looks great Andy!

You're lucky to have a buddy bring you all those goodies!

And sorry about the back injury. That's just not fun. I hurt mine 29 years ago being stupid; the wife told me stop "you'll hurt yourself". But I was 27 and indestructible...or so I thought ;) I still do 600 crunches a week to keep in shape.

OW's look good. I'm glad you get some mileage out of them, I had no luck this season with mine. They grew but no production.

Just love the pic of the kids. Halloween was one of my favorites as a kid.

Can't wait to see how the soil does next season!

Really great what your doing with the soil, hope it really kick's in next season for you. Are you going to get any worms to put out there?

Devv said:
Garden prep looks great Andy!

You're lucky to have a buddy bring you all those goodies!

And sorry about the back injury. That's just not fun. I hurt mine 29 years ago being stupid; the wife told me stop "you'll hurt yourself". But I was 27 and indestructible...or so I thought ;) I still do 600 crunches a week to keep in shape.

OW's look good. I'm glad you get some mileage out of them, I had no luck this season with mine. They grew but no production.

Just love the pic of the kids. Halloween was one of my favorites as a kid.

Can't wait to see how the soil does next season!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm lucky to have connected with a few folks who are willing to help.  My back was getting pretty good and I went out and threw some more mulch on tonight and now it's hurting again, but hopefully not as bad.  I'll know more tomorrow.  Once I get it straight, I've got to figure out some sort of exercise or something to keep me right. 

For the manzanos, overwintering is the way to go, I think.  Made a huge difference this year. 

RocketMan said:
Really great what your doing with the soil, hope it really kick's in next season for you. Are you going to get any worms to put out there?

I hope it turns out - I think it will.  It'll be a multi year process anyway, so hopefully in a few years it'll be great.

The soil in the yard is great and full of worms, so I don't think they'll be a problem to get into the garden as it's right off the edge of the yard.  In fact, one of the benefits of doing the soil this way is to attract the worms, so I hope that happens.

Back