• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer's grow log 2012

I thought I'd do a grow log this year, since I've enjoyed reading the ones that other folks do. I'm up in Michigan and last year was able to get the plants in the garden in mid-May, but that isn't a sure thing. I'm starting a bit early, but I want the plants to be a good size when I do get them in, so that I don't have to wait until later in the Fall to harvest. If we would've had an early frost last year, I would've been in trouble. The grow log puts a bit of pressure on. If this is a tremendous failure, then it'll be public. I've been gardening for awhile, and had great luck with my peppers last year, but I'm taking a giant step up this year, so we'll see.

Here is my grow list:
1. Douglah x4 Ajijoe
2. Scotch Bonnet (Y) x4 Pepperjoe.com
3. Cherry Bomb x4 Farmers market
4. Bhut Jolokia ® x4 Dshlogg
5. Trinidad Scorpion (Red)x6 Ajijoe
6. Trinidad Scropion (Peach) x6 Ajijoe
7. Chocolate Congo Habanero x6 Ajijoe
8. Caribbean Red Habanero x6 Ajijoe
9. Aji Pineapple x4 Ajijoe
10. Peach Bhut Jolokia x6 Ajijoe
11. Naga Morich x4 Dshlogg
12. Scotch Bonnet (Y)x8 Refining Fire
13. Jamaican Red Mushroom x8 Refining Fire
14. Jamaican Chocolate Habanero x8 Refining Fire
15. Thai Dragon x4 Dshlogg
16. 7 Pot (Yellow) x4 Masschilehead
17. Avery Island Tobasco x4 Masschilehead
18. Aji Limon x4 Dshlogg
19. Devil's Tongue x4 Dshlogg
20. Fatali x6 Totally Tomato
21. Red Rocoto x6 Totally Tomato
22. Scotch Bonnet (Red)x4 Hotstuff
23. Jalapeno x4 Dshlogg
24. Bell (various) x20 (I'll buy the plants in the spring)

This website has been tremendously helpful. After some contact with MJDiamond83, I ordered some CFL bulbs. They are 100 watt bulbs that put out the equivalent of 400 watts of light, 6500 on the light temperature, I believe. I get a shelving unit on sale last year from Lowes, some pvc this year from Menards and ordered some mylar emergency blankets off of Amazon (10 for $8) and put up a cheap frame that gives me two levels, with the CFL on top and some florescent strip lights on the bottom. With the lights on, it gets to about 84, and with them off its in the mid 70's. I hope that's enough to get the seeds to pop.

Here's a shot where you can see the three lights and the mylar around the three sides. For the front cover I just have a mylar sheet that drapes down and it's all basically enclosed.
growroom1.jpg

Here's a shot of everything planted. For the most part I have at least two seeds in each cell, sometimes a few more than that. I figure I can cut down if I have too many that germinate.
growroom2.jpg

Wow wow wubzy brother Andy. I leave for a week and your plants grow like 2 feet. What are you feeding those monsters? :party:

Great harvest too :fireball: On a side note I would say the scotch look more like Orange habs to me.

Oh and I am suprised the peach hab had very litle heat. It looks very oily. Please forgive my spelling I dropped out of school in 5th grade ;)

Oh and beat Shane to the page topper :crazy:

Andy,

That isn't a pepper patch, that is a pepper jungle!! That cluster of brainstrains are just plain scary.

More photos!
Conor

Just ran across your glog. Definite forest of heat. I have a Goronong growing now that is just forming pods. Never tried one, but the description sounded interesting. After reading what was posted on the previous page of your glog, I'm even more excited to see it produce.

Congrats on a productive grow.

Wow wow wubzy brother Andy. I leave for a week and your plants grow like 2 feet. What are you feeding those monsters? :party:
Thanks Jamie, I'm feeding them pure love and obsession...
Great harvest too :fireball: On a side note I would say the scotch look more like Orange habs to me.
I don't think it's that - unless it is some sort of cross, which is possible. It doesn't look or taste like the orange habs I had last year. It doesn't look like what I expected for the bonnets either though. Thanks for the feedback, the search for a true scotch bonnet has been tough.

Oh and I am suprised the peach hab had very litle heat. It looks very oily. Please forgive my spelling I dropped out of school in 5th grade ;)

It was hot, but on the lower end of hab level, I think. Either that or I'm getting a higher tolerance. Perhaps now I'd make it 10 minutes before throwing up after eating one of your Brain Strains :mouthonfire:

Oh and beat Shane to the page topper :crazy:

Well done! Thanks for stopping in!

Andy,

That isn't a pepper patch, that is a pepper jungle!! That cluster of brainstrains are just plain scary.

More photos!
Conor

Thank you Conor - it's been a lot of fun to see it grow and fill out. Thanks for checking it out!

Just ran across your glog. Definite forest of heat. I have a Goronong growing now that is just forming pods. Never tried one, but the description sounded interesting. After reading what was posted on the previous page of your glog, I'm even more excited to see it produce.

Congrats on a productive grow.

Glad you checked it out Doc! You'll have to let me know what you think of the Goronong - they sound good!

got your sasbe

its going out tommorrow

the CILI GORONONG and a anther surprise

thanks the garden looks awesome God has greatly Blessed you!! :onfire:

thanks your friend Joe

Awesome - glad it got to you so quickly! Were the peppers in ok shape? What did you think?

thanks for the peppers!! i do appreciate it mine are not ripe yet but soon i will know what i have

im waiting on a few other surprises as well stay tuned

thanks your friend Joe

yes the plant seem to produce multiple shaped fruit

im noticing at least two to three shapes
one is still the closest to the parent pod
as for the red one i dont know, either it was close to one of your plants or it could have been because it was near my RED SCORPANERO #2

they are not as hot as a other t scorps but taste good

thanks for the peppers!! i do appreciate it mine are not ripe yet but soon i will know what i have

im waiting on a few other surprises as well stay tuned

thanks your friend Joe

yes the plant seem to produce multiple shaped fruit

im noticing at least two to three shapes
one is still the closest to the parent pod
as for the red one i dont know, either it was close to one of your plants or it could have been because it was near my RED SCORPANERO #2

they are not as hot as a other t scorps but taste good

That would make sense for the red one. The peach colored ones are a nice color and still do have a lot of heat, good flavor. Is the parent pod the long one with a pointed end? Just curious, I want to save seed from a good pod that is the sort you are shooting for. They are good healthy plants with lots of fruit.

Your garden is starting to look like mine. All cramped up and no place to harvest! Everything looks amazing. You have some really cool varieties. Hahahahahaha, you're going to be swimming in peppers. I'm sure you'll find some good use for them. I like the shot from down below, looking through the alley.....and we still have months left to go. I think you need to invest in a machete.....lol.

By the way.......GO BEARS

http://youtu.be/cMPw893rzGI

That would make sense for the red one. The peach colored ones are a nice color and still do have a lot of heat, good flavor. Is the parent pod the long one with a pointed end? Just curious, I want to save seed from a good pod that is the sort you are shooting for. They are good healthy plants with lots of fruit.

the parent pods where shaped like true scotch bonnets, squat flat kinda lantern shaped and not long very round
they are very prolific and tasty, they are worth overwintering as well if that's your thing
another real cool trini is the trini scorp "fg"

thanks your friend Joe

That garden is screaming Andy :onfire:

The Yellow 7 looks like a heck of a good producer...in fact every thing looks like a great producer....ever think of making powder :rofl: ?

Your garden is starting to look like mine. All cramped up and no place to harvest! Everything looks amazing. You have some really cool varieties. Hahahahahaha, you're going to be swimming in peppers. I'm sure you'll find some good use for them. I like the shot from down below, looking through the alley.....and we still have months left to go. I think you need to invest in a machete.....lol.

By the way.......GO BEARS

Thanks King! A machete may be a good idea. I've had to prune a little just to try to maintain my pathways. Not sure how long that will last. It's early August. A good problem to have. Speaking of problems... get that bears crap off my glog! Wait till football season. If they actually count all the Lions touchdowns against the bears we end up on top more often. Stinking bears...

the parent pods where shaped like true scotch bonnets, squat flat kinda lantern shaped and not long very round
they are very prolific and tasty, they are worth overwintering as well if that's your thing
another real cool trini is the trini scorp "fg"

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks for that info Joe, that helps. I don't think I have any bonnet shaped ones, but I think I'll look for the coolest shapes pods this year and save some seed from them. It'll be an ongoing experiment. Should be fun. They are tasty! I'll have to check out the "fg".

Ok, a quick update...

Here's some devil's tongues coming in nicely. It seems they went from small to ripe fairly quickly. Cool shaped pods, yes, like a devil's tongue. Reminds me of a red hab as much as anything. Nice pepper. This one is from Dshlogg

devils.jpg

Here are some peach bhuts - they're from Aji Joe's seeds. Great plants, great taste and high heat.

peachghost.jpg

Orange Thai's from Aji Joe as well. Surprisingly hot, beautiful color and great producer.

orangethai.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of my youngest - out in the pepper patch helping Daddy

emme2.jpg

Here she picked a pepper. This is one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken, I think

emme1.jpg

Finally, a harvest shot:

harvest2.jpg

Alright, that's it for the night. Eventually I'll have to post a video I just shot. I ate a yellow 7 pod, the entire thing. Golfball sized pod. It was the second hottest thing I've had. I'm still a little light headed from it all. Best endorphin rush ever...

Thanks for stopping by!

That pic is too awesome...Here you go daddy I picked it for you! I agree with you, one of my favorites so far on this site!

I hear ya on the Yellow 7's they're some really potent pods for a yellow. Looking forward to the video! Just smoked and dried 4 full racks of yellow 7's, should make for a really nice powder! By far the most pungent smell while drying of all the stuff I've done so far, Think I may try making a sweet sauce with them and Apricots??? Have you tried a Yellow Bhut yet? They're pretty stout too!

That pic is too awesome...Here you go daddy I picked it for you! I agree with you, one of my favorites so far on this site!

I hear ya on the Yellow 7's they're some really potent pods for a yellow. Looking forward to the video! Just smoked and dried 4 full racks of yellow 7's, should make for a really nice powder! By far the most pungent smell while drying of all the stuff I've done so far, Think I may try making a sweet sauce with them and Apricots??? Have you tried a Yellow Bhut yet? They're pretty stout too!

Thanks Shane, she was pretty proud of that pepper. She held onto it for like an hour :surprised:
The yellow 7 was definitely hot. I'm still not sure if it's the overall potency, or the fact that it is so large and hot. I really like the pepper though, good stuff. That sauce sounds great - I'm going to have to get some apricots for jelly, I think. Yellow 7 would be a good flavor mix with that, I think. Good call. I have not tried the yellow bhut, I'm just growing the red and peach. I bet it's stout. Is it like the other bhuts where it waits 1 1/2 minutes before kicking you in the teeth? Those things are crazy!

Your Little Helper is gonna get lost in the forest if you dont keep a good eye on her! Great harvest shot. Loving your verieties. Your Peach bhuts turned out about picture perfect! Those 7s of yours are some bumpy things! No wonder your were so hot!

Oh my goodness that little girl is a gem. She is precious. I love the picks. Everything I looking great. Goodharvestingto you

wow.. i see another review coming .....nice pepper jungle andy...how the heck do you manage to harvest... ahh i see.. you send your little one to do the dirty work..cant wait for my mustard hab to pod up and my peach bhut to change colors!

denniz

Back