Pure Evil 14mil and 9.6mil SHU HPLC lab results

salsalady

eXtreme Business
It's Official!

PE SHU Mar2014 - Copy.JPG

Pure Evil 9.6mil has an average HPLC Scoville Heat Unit rating of 10,520,000 SHU.

Pure Evil 14mil (prototype) has an average HPLC Scoville Heat Unit rating of 14,240,000!

brs3.jpg

NM Bio Labs tested each sample 2 times, the numbers were averaged and the results are above.  The one line blocked out is a product I co-pack for another business.  It's not my place to post their results, but those numbers also came back above the expected SHU. 

Brief history-
High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) testing was adopted by the American Spice Trade Association (ASTA) about 30 years ago as an industry standard for rating the pungency of spices like cinnamon, ginger, paprika, and chiles.  It has been the Industry Standard for all labs for a long time.  SW Bio Labs in Las Cruces, NM does all the HPLC testing for the Chile Pepper Institute as well as a few hundred chile growers/processors in their area.  They also perform HPLC testing for a ton of hot sauce, salsa, and spicy food makers. 

HPLC is sometimes referred to High Performance Liquid Chromatography.  Not sure why the difference, but the labs I've worked with use the word Pressure, not Performance.  HPLC testing is also used in the medical marijuana industry to give a ration of the different cannabinoids in various strains and edibles.  But that's for another thread~~~ ;)

HPLC testing measures the total amount of capsaicinoids in the test sample to a PPM number.  That number is then correlated to the Scoville Heat Units which uses 16,000,000 as the hottest, and a SHU heat scale rating can be determined for the test sample. 

Capsaicin is one of several capsaicinoid compounds found in chile peppers.  Capsaicinoids are the chemical compounds that give chiles the heat and pain sensation.  Dihydrocapsaicin, homocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, and nordihydrocapsaicin are a few other capsaicinoids, but capsaicin is usually the most prominent in chiles, so they all kind of get lumped together under the general heading of "capsaicin"... even though they should be called capsaicinoids.

The different capsaicinoid compounds effect the mouth differently.  So one chile variety may hit super hot super fast, and others have that slow creaping lingering burn.  It's the varying ratios of these different capsaicinoids in chiles that people talk about when describing the different burns. 

We've been able to source 100% pure capsaicin.  Every lot we purchase comes with a Certificate of Analysis, which lists the different capsaicinoids by percentage.  The capsaicin powder we use is a refined powder from real, all natural chiles.  It's not synthesized in a lab.

Pure Evil 14mil started out as a whim...just wondering if it could be done.  It took a while, but yes, it was achieved!  It's not going to be marketed as it's not very User Friendly.  Too Fussy.

Our original Pure Evil started out as 1mil, and in Jan2013 we bumped it up to 1.5 mil.  It's been previously HPLC tested a 1.56million.  It's still our best selling and most versatile Pure Evil. 

Pure Heat, Pure Evil!

:cheers:

SWEET!!! Gratz Ann.

Maybe Jay T can do a review of the 14mil with 10 drops in Ramen. :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Or not. That has to be some hot stuff. :shh:

yea...don't think THAT's gonna happen!  :lol:  Pretty Sure the 9.6 was it for JayT. 

However....my loco amigo from Quebec Claude Dube did a vid of 5 drops straight...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4Omv1h6Ho
This dude is one of the most HardCore chileheads I've ever seen. 

thanks, Jeff H and LDHS.

That guy has more ca-hones than me... I would have been scared of one drop of that stuff straight. 4-5 drops of the regular PE is more than enough for me straight.

Gratz on the results and bravo to Claude I doubt I would have made it to the plateau before chugging a container of sour cream XD 

thanks, and Yes, That dude is an EXTREME chilehead.  He does a lot of reviews, his tolerance is off the charts.  Only know of a couple others even in that league. 

Thanks, BRS Studios (SumBits) for the product pics.  It took a few tries to get the right IMG code uploaded for a clean picture.  Thanks for the help.  xoxo

Thanks, NS and MH~ :)

Congratulations, salsalady!

thanks, guys and Nulle.  :)

Is he on thorazine?! He is so calm and collected. I would have jumped out of the window after just one drop of something that hot! Noooooo thank you!

Congrats, SL! :dance:

Claude is definitely Not Normal!  :lol:  He has an extremely high tolerance. 

ridavid- 9.6 is on our website, the 14mil was just an experiment.  :)

Thanks, Luckydog.  There is no flavor at all. Some who do a drop of Pure Evil straight on the tongue get a little bit of an alcohol taste, but not everyone.  When Pure Evil is added to foods it's totally undetectable tastewise, just the heat comes through.   

Back