• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Purple Bhut turns red

I have a "purple bhut jolokia" that turns red.....The plant has purple stems,the peppers come out very pale green, turn purple, and finally red.The pods resemble "long ribbed habs" not the typical bumpy sharp tipped bhut shape.I'd post a pic, but can't figure out how to do that(from my desktop ,not a website).Taste is similar to red fatali,and so is the heat.Any ideas?

Nice!!

Use photobucket, it’s easy to use and setup.

I'm growing them too and waiting for them to turn as well.
God luck!!

Nice!!

Use photobucket, it’s easy to use and setup.

I'm growing them too and waiting for them to turn as well.
God luck!!
I'll give it a shot- but til then, if you look at my avatar pic there are a few that haven't turned red yet....but long since eaten!

I have a "purple bhut jolokia" that turns red.....The plant has purple stems,the peppers come out very pale green, turn purple, and finally red.The pods resemble "long ribbed habs" not the typical bumpy sharp tipped bhut shape.I'd post a pic, but can't figure out how to do that(from my desktop ,not a website).Taste is similar to red fatali,and so is the heat.Any ideas?

All of this is welcome news to me! I am germinating them right now. However there are a few "purple bhut" suppliers about, where/from who did you source them?

Mine are all in the purple stage right now. Shoot, no matter WHAT color they turn, I'll still keep growing them because of how cool they look!

All of this is welcome news to me! I am germinating them right now. However there are a few "purple bhut" suppliers about, where/from who did you source them?
I picked up 2 live plants from Keiser Seeds and Pepper Co in Houston. They had a 2 yr old plant that was packed with fruit in the purple stage, I don't recall the seed source.Cool lookin plant,the peppers are great , they just don't look "bhutish"...hence my inquiry.

gnslngr, the overwhelming majority of purple hot peppers (with a notable exception being the Pimenta da Neyde), will eventually, fully ripen to red.

Here's a tip - if you plan on saving seeds from these guys, remember to leave them on the vine until they turn red, in order to make sure that they are fully mature, viable seeds! ;)

I picked up 2 live plants from Keiser Seeds and Pepper Co in Houston. They had a 2 yr old plant that was packed with fruit in the purple stage, I don't recall the seed source.Cool lookin plant,the peppers are great , they just don't look "bhutish"...hence my inquiry.

They are not bhut looking because they are crossed and are no longer true bhuts, and as previously said they should ripen to red

Thats kinda what I suspected....and that is a very impressive spread of photos by the way Potawie!I would have to follow that up with a request for a reliable seed source for the Purple bhut???

Are the "purple bhuts" even stable. They seem like such a new cross to be growing true already. Anybody know what the bhut was crossed with, and how many generations its been growing?

I've got two plants. While the pods certainly don't have a true Bhut Jolokia look with respect to bumpiness and pod length, they are extremely cool looking. If they even taste decent, I would grow every year. They are beautiful, big producers, incredible coloration. None of mine have ripened red yet, but they will eventually. They are light to dark purple. I enjoy it a lot. I'll post pictures soon.

Potawie, I'd say these are stable. They are EXACTLY as JSKaiser and his India source showed. Not even a variation. I'm sure it's been stablized in India for many years and maybe just called a Purple Bhut for marketing reasons which is kind of misleading.

Chris

I've got two plants. While the pods certainly don't have a true Bhut Jolokia look with respect to bumpiness and pod length, they are extremely cool looking. If they even taste decent, I would grow every year. They are beautiful, big producers, incredible coloration. None of mine have ripened red yet, but they will eventually. They are light to dark purple. I enjoy it a lot. I'll post pictures soon.

Potawie, I'd say these are stable. They are EXACTLY as JSKaiser and his India source showed. Not even a variation. I'm sure it's been stablized in India for many years and maybe just called a Purple Bhut for marketing reasons which is kind of misleading.

Chris

+1 mine are turning out the same. Productive and beautiful. green to Purple and to red. I'm happy!

Damn... when does it end?! Seriously... just when I thought I got all the Bhuts down, I find that there's a chocolate... then a yellow... and even a white, and now purple. What I thought I was getting a good grasp on understanding, now feels full of unexplored territory once again. This actually kind of sucks. I didn't think the world of peppers (or at least superhots) moved so fast... and here I was, relaxed, thinking just that. Now, it turns out, I still don't get a break. Damn it!

Damn... when does it end?! Seriously... just when I thought I got all the Bhuts down, I find that there's a chocolate... then a yellow... and even a white, and now purple. What I thought I was getting a good grasp on understanding, now feels full of unexplored territory once again. This actually kind of sucks. I didn't think the world of peppers (or at least superhots) moved so fast... and here I was, relaxed, thinking just that. Now, it turns out, I still don't get a break. Damn it!
Damn it , but in a good way!....Did you say white?..........?ahem........elaborate please;)

Damn it , but in a good way!....Did you say white?..........?ahem........elaborate please;)
This is one of the threads I remember reading:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17715-white-bhut-jolokia/

I know very little about it myself. I'm sure someone else can give further information.

HMMM-well, guess I can keep watch over my CPI Bhuts for such a mutant(as it was a CPI Bhut), first I thought it might be a white Devils tongue.

But they aren't really bhuts, just crosses or mutants(or neither) using the bhut name for popularity. Real bhuts are a landrace variety that have been growing for hundreds of years in India.
The exact same thing happened with habaneros in the past and now scorpions, 7 pods, bhuts, and nagas :(

But they aren't really bhuts, just crosses or mutants(or neither) using the bhut name for popularity. Real bhuts are a landrace variety that have been growing for hundreds of years in India.
The exact same thing happened with habaneros in the past and now scorpions, 7 pods, bhuts, and nagas :(
That makes sense. But they are still super-hots (at least in most cases), right? As in, at least somewhat worthy of the name given? From what I've seen, these new cultivars often at least look like what they're claimed to be, and from what I've gathered they at least seem to be hotter than a habanero, and often up there with their more elusive parent. I'm confused on which ones have actually been stabilized though, with all these new ones all the time, it's hard to imagine that they've gone through the long stabilization process. Then again, the Bhut has been until recently king of the records for quite a while, so I guess it's had plenty of time. Hell, even the 7 Pod has been around for quite a while in its native home, but they're *still* hard to find, yet they're still tons of "7 Pod" crosses. These ones (the 7 Pods) I especially question the stability of.

Back