• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple pepper - help me identify!

Went to a grow shop today to pick up a bulb, and got chatting with the owner. He's hoping I can help identify the pepper below. He has no idea if it's edible or ornamental. The only information I could get is, I think, that the pepper starts purple, then goes sort of yellow, then red. I think. Definitely purple though!

o2bac.jpg

RFohi.jpg

it looks like to me that its a Little Blue... i may be wrong but i just grew one of these in my windowsil and looks identical to mine!

Went to a grow shop today to pick up a bulb, and got chatting with the owner. He's hoping I can help identify the pepper below. He has no idea if it's edible or ornamental. The only information I could get is, I think, that the pepper starts purple, then goes sort of yellow, then red. I think. Definitely purple though!

o2bac.jpg

RFohi.jpg
Possibly a Filius Blue...

filius-blue.jpg

I think Bob_B nailed it. Looking up the filius blue, all of the characteristics matched. Thanks Bob and all.

The owner of the hydro store was thrilled with the information. He asked if I'd eat one. I tried a purple (less mature) pepper, which is supposed to be hotter. It was a little bitter immediately after biting. Heat was moderate. Hot enough to notice for a novice like me, with about a 5-10:00 burn. I tried a red (mature) pepper. It was sweeter and a bit less hot. I was fortunate enough to get a clipping, so I'll be growing this pepper. It's not necessarily a delicious pepper, but it's a really beautiful plant.

I don't know, the fruits look pretty similar but the leaves look a lot different to me. I have never grown a filius blue and I don't have any other ideas though. That is a really nice looking plant anyway, the fruits look like little purple apples. :cool:

I don't know, the fruits look pretty similar but the leaves look a lot different to me. I have never grown a filius blue and I don't have any other ideas though. That is a really nice looking plant anyway, the fruits look like little purple apples. :cool:

When I first looked at it, I even thought it may not be a pepper. I know one thing, it is absolutely beautiful!

The pods in the picture look immature to me. Usually the flowers are gone long before pods are full size let alone ripe. Also the little "tails" at the end of the pods usually disappear before the pods are even close to full size. Those flowers in the pic with the pods coming out of them don't even look wilted. Even a jalapeno starts out as a small roundish pod with a thin "tail" emerging from a flower. That being said, I have absolutly no experience growing ornamentals. The picture of the Filius Blue shows no flowers or "tails" on the pods. Just my 2 cents...

The tails are probably the stamen or whatever from the bud.

I had a stressed (mites) plant last year that put out round tailed pods at first then when re potted grew true pods.

1ST pods

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/Picture005-2.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/Picture002-8.jpg

what pepper really was later that season-5 inches long...

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/IM004693.jpg

So the tail can mean something or not. :(

Thanks for the help. I think it is a Filias Blue. The description I found said that it's purple when immature, but matures to a yellow/red. The owner was thrilled that I was willing to try them. I ate a purple pepper and found it a little bitter, with a good sting, but not overwhelming. A riper red pepper was sweeter with less heat.

The owner gave a cutting which I'll try to root.

Many peppers go from purple to red.
I don't believe it's a Filius Blue because the flowers aren't blue enough(hence the name), the pods aren't perfectly round like they should be and the leaves are much darker on your plant than a Filius Blue. You need to go back and tell him.

Back