• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Put up another one

i just put up another sauce to ferment. 2 dried ghost pepper pods, 4 mandarin orange cups in water, 4 probiotic tabs and  a bit of the previous chili water. first pic is pre blend, second is after blend.

Attachments

• ghostorangepremash.jpg
    ghostorangepremash.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 115
  • ghostorangemash.jpg
    ghostorangemash.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 110
mrbill said:
i like to use use as little salt as possible when cooking and i'm impatient.

If you’re using little salt in the ferments you may want to consider blanching or even pasteurizing your ingredients before pitching the probiotics. Make sure any competing strains or other spores are destroyed. Similar to how milk is pasteurized before fermentation to make yogurt. 

strained out more of the solids, then boiled/simmered to stop the fermentation. into a warmed up jar and added some frozen fruit(berry mix and peaches) and back into the fridge to age.

Attachments

• newmix.jpg
    newmix.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 119
mrbill said:
i like to use use as little salt as possible when cooking and i'm impatient.
I dont keep track of the salt content I'm using. Another trick is to layer a couple leaves of cabbage on top of the ferment ingredients. It helps keep the stuff below the brine level and cabbage is a great fermentation kick starter. When done, discard the leaves... :gasp: dont do that!!!!....or eat 'em like kimchee. Or shred the cabbage and it becomes part of the sauce.

okay. so another lesson learned. use less xantham gum than the package says. added some watermelon a few days ago. last night, did the food mill and heat and fill with xantham gum to thicken a bit. followed the directions on the package and now my sauce is too thick. did the heat and hot fill/flip into the woozies. sauce won't even flow into the neck of the woozy. gonna take one or two and thin them out with some type of citrus juice to see how it goes. gonna toss the rest and remember to use less gum next time.

edited to add- after bottling, only filled 4 woozies. i'm a self serving sauce maker, so tossing a batch or part of it isn't too big a deal. especially if i can learn from it.

If it is too thick, re-batch it. 

Use the same ingredients (although not fermented unless you want to wait for it to ferment) mix it all up, cook it and rebottle it.  You'll have to do some guestimating as to how much additional ingredients to use to get it to the viscosity you want.  Your bottles are sealed, so there is no harm in waiting for the new ingredients to ferment.  Even if you didn't go the full time of the original ferment, even a week or two would do it, then you could mix it with the thick sauce, cook, bottle, HFH.  

Learning is FUN, isn't it???  :lol:

xanthan....a little goes a loooong ways~~~~

SL

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Depends on which side of the learning curve you're on SL.....

-

Lol:  I'm on the downhill slide of the side of learning for 'experience":..  And when it costs me money????.... :grrr:

Back