• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pyrethrum & others

I've already been invaded by all kinds of infestations and I'm only 2 months into spring. I had two locusts in my office last night that were so big,I swear if they had a third would've carried away my dog.

In one end of my yard ants were happily share cropping aphids, at the other end invisible mining bugs were drilling holes in ripening pods looking for who knows what. In another corner two large bushy basil plants were stripped to the stem overnight. I took my trusty bottle of pyrethrum spray to the lot & it seems to have worked.....for now.

I'm planning to go on the Offensive {after all, many consider me that way already} I scored several packets of Chrysanthemum seed to plant amongst my pepper plants.

Does anyone know of other plants that I can grow to deflect these bugs?

Try the pyrethrum plants, also known as painted daisies or painted ladies. Probably related to Chrysanthemums.

Not a plant, but another bug. Praying Mantis, to eat all of the other bugs.They are meat eaters, not plant eaters. Since I started using them, my peppers are almost perfect. I don't use any insecticide or any other chemicals on the plants or in the garden.
You could try going to the local nursery n asking them if they carry Praying Mantis egg sacs. If you can't get them that way, do a search.
You can get anything online these days. There is a place in Indiana USA
called WormsWay.com, they sell them for sure. I get mine there, when I can't get them locally.

Good idea Sauceman Unfortunately I think the birdlife would take them out by lunchtime. They've gotten used to wandering around the plants looking for free meals.

You know, I've tried a planting "insect repellent plants" around the garden a couple of different times, and I never had much success. The marigolds that were supposed to help with the nematodes got spider mites. The basil that was supposed to protect the garden got eaten right along with the tomatoes. The mums looked beautiful, but the dahlias got munched anyway.

Good luck, and if it works, I'll be nagging you for seeds from that flower.

bentalphanerd said:
Good idea Sauceman Unfortunately I think the birdlife would take them out by lunchtime. They've gotten used to wandering around the plants looking for free meals.

Works here, might work there. But I guess you'll never know till you try. Each egg sac usually delivers between 100 to 200 Praying Mantis. It could be a cheap way to solve a problem, but whatever
you decide on, good luck with the garden.

Sauceman said:
Works here, might work there. But I guess you'll never know till you try. Each egg sac usually delivers between 100 to 200 Praying Mantis. It could be a cheap way to solve a problem, but whatever
you decide on, good luck with the garden.

Very true.

I did a hunt to purchase some...but no luck. Probably not the kind of thing I can import.

hey bent, well all i can tell you is that if you can find them, they are worth more than you could ever imagine. so keep looking. they changed an average garden to an excelant garden. oh, n i forgot to tell you b4, we have birds here to. it's all about nature n the averages. the birds will get more than a few, im sure, but they wont get them all.

you can plant garlic chives in and around your chiles. you can also make up a batch of soapy chile garlic water to spray around - blend chiles and water with some garlic, strain very well, add dish washing liquid at a rate not exceeding 1ts per litre and squirt on your plants from a pump pack. you just need to reapply after each watering or when it rains, but it works.

chilliman64 said:
you can plant garlic chives in and around your chiles. you can also make up a batch of soapy chile garlic water to spray around - blend chiles and water with some garlic, strain very well, add dish washing liquid at a rate not exceeding 1ts per litre and squirt on your plants from a pump pack. you just need to reapply after each watering or when it rains, but it works.

yea, that works to, n the garlic chives keep growing n growing. plant it once, have it forever.
the pepper, garlic tea is what i make, n that works well for the rabbits, n other critters that have glands. didn't know about adding a small amount of soap also.
Thanks man.

just don't add more soap than the dosage stated - this is a case of more not being better. you can test on a single plant before spraying the entire crop if you want to be sure.

bentalphanerd said:
I've already been invaded by all kinds of infestations and I'm only 2 months into spring. I had two locusts in my office last night that were so big,I swear if they had a third would've carried away my dog.

In one end of my yard ants were happily share cropping aphids, at the other end invisible mining bugs were drilling holes in ripening pods looking for who knows what. In another corner two large bushy basil plants were stripped to the stem overnight. I took my trusty bottle of pyrethrum spray to the lot & it seems to have worked.....for now.

I'm planning to go on the Offensive {after all, many consider me that way already} I scored several packets of Chrysanthemum seed to plant amongst my pepper plants.

Does anyone know of other plants that I can grow to deflect these bugs?

Hey Bent, I did a little quick research online.
I went to a search engine n typed in " Beneficial Insects from
Australia" , if nothing else, it's a good read for you in your part of the world. So, you don't have the Praying Mantis, so what. There are other insects in your world that maybe do the same thing. One web site that looked promising is called Supplier of Beneficial Insects, n Mites, the addy is http://wwwgoodbugs.org.au/suppliers.htm-24k
keep me posted on what you find, n good luck man.

Sauceman said:
Hey Bent, I did a little quick research online.
I went to a search engine n typed in " Beneficial Insects from
Australia" , if nothing else, it's a good read for you in your part of the world. So, you don't have the Praying Mantis, so what. There are other insects in your world that maybe do the same thing. One web site that looked promising is called Supplier of Beneficial Insects, n Mites, the addy is http://wwwgoodbugs.org.au/suppliers.htm-24k
keep me posted on what you find, n good luck man.

Hey great Sauceman - Thanks. I'll check it out.

** fixed link - http://www.goodbugs.org.au/suppliers.htm

cheers

Back