• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding question about cross breeding

I just tried my first crossing experiment after reading what I can find about it. I have a few questions if anyone knows?

It says to immasculate the flower and remove the petals and stamens. It says to do this just before the flower opens. When you do this are the stamens that you remove able to accidentally pollinate the stigma? Or is the pollen not ready or not there yet?
At what point is the pollen viable? I immasculated a bud that had a small crack in it, ie. it was just starting to open. It was a bit messy and I'm thinking that there is a chance that if the pollen was ready then I could have self pollinated it? I didn't see any pollen grains but I need to get a magnifying glass for the future.

I hope my question can be understood I'm not that familiar with the terms used.

Good question!!
Trial and error "cause and effect"…two parts science and one part experience.
I've read of some other methods used to cross pollinate superhots, the shaking of one plant over another and the tenting of the two mating species. God knows they're probably other methods with varying levels of effectiveness as well.

Potawie will know the answer to your question.

Good luck and please keep us posted – sounds very interesting!!

I just tried my first crossing experiment after reading what I can find about it. I have a few questions if anyone knows?

It says to immasculate the flower and remove the petals and stamens. It says to do this just before the flower opens. When you do this are the stamens that you remove able to accidentally pollinate the stigma? Or is the pollen not ready or not there yet?
At what point is the pollen viable? I immasculated a bud that had a small crack in it, ie. it was just starting to open. It was a bit messy and I'm thinking that there is a chance that if the pollen was ready then I could have self pollinated it? I didn't see any pollen grains but I need to get a magnifying glass for the future.

I hope my question can be understood I'm not that familiar with the terms used.
I mark two flowers on two different plants for a total of four. One flower off each plant will be sacrificed. I then take the sacrificial flower from each plant and rub the opposing plant's marked flower with it after they open. Works every time. Sometimes you won't get a true F1 but for me waiting till the flower opens gets my within 90% certainty. The more flowers you attempt to cross, the higher your success rate.

Or as I say, learn by doing.... ;)

I think the idea of using unopened blossoms is to hopefully get rid of the stamens before they open and start releasing their pollen. But somebody correct me if I am wrong.... as I am simply here to learn too! :D

That being said, during one of my attempts at cross-pollination, one time I actually started removing petals on a particular unopened blossom only to find the stamens already open! :eek:

Or as I say, learn by doing.... ;)

I think the idea of using unopened blossoms is to hopefully get rid of the stamens before they open and start releasing their pollen. But somebody correct me if I am wrong.... as I am simply here to learn too! :D

That being said, during one of my attempts at cross-pollination, one time I actually started removing petals on a particular unopened blossom only to find the stamens already open! :eek:

That is exactly what I assumed was the reason too. I have used the only available buds at the moment. There are a few tiny ones just starting but because of the season and the handful of plants I have I didn't want to waste any on trial and error if someone could tell me for sure. Anyway I'll see if this one pod sets and if it does then by the time I have saved the seeds from it I will hopefully have a greenhouse full of new flowers to experiment with.

It appears that I'm the only one that has forceps instead of hands...

Every time I try to handle an unopened blossom I end up ripping it of unintentionally. :(

Bleash

Good question!!
I've read of some other methods used to cross pollinate superhots, the shaking of one plant over another and the tenting of the two mating species. God knows they're probably other methods with varying levels of effectiveness as well.

Potawie will know the answer to your question.

Good luck and please keep us posted – sounds very interesting!!

Shaking or wind will likely not do much for cross pollination since chiles are considered inbreeders and are not made to recieve air-born pollen like outbreeders. Your best bet is manual pollination with emasculation. You need to emasculate before the flower fully opens at which time the male pollen becomes viable. You don't want to help self pollinate when your goal is a cross.

I mangled the first two flowers I tried to emasculate using tweezers. Takes practice to get the hang of it.

Back