• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about excessive rain and survival

I am curious, I had a massive pour of rain on one pot.
I managed to drain most of the excess out, the soil is still very damp with three seedlings inside. I am wondering if it is advisable to repot to increase probability of survival.

I am curious, I had a massive pour of rain on one pot.
I managed to drain most of the excess out, the soil is still very damp with three seedlings inside. I am wondering if it is advisable to repot to increase probability of survival.

If your soil drains well, I'm sure some time under the sun or somewhere warm will dry the soil a bit.

I had a massive rain last season and it pretty much wiped me out. If your soil drains well, you may pull through it fine, if not, repot.

Here in the PNW it rains way too much. I've experienced blight, bacterial problems, and leaf spot due to too much rain last year.. When I say too much I mean it poured for a week straight.. so unless your seeing that kind of rain I think you'll be fine.. If not, theres a spray that can fix the fungus problems :) Don't worry about repotting. Play it by ear my friend :)

Personally i use about 50% sand or perlite to potting mix and I also cover the bottom of the pot about an inch or so with perlite and my plants have always done well. I only water about 1 time a week too. When in the ground I have an area that is almost all sand.

Granted it doesnt rain often here but when it does rain hard, I have never had a problem with drainage. In the pots, I can not get them to really be affected by over or under watering as it just drains right out. In my opinion if your soil is really affected by heavy rains or watering, add a bit more perlite to your mix. Keep in mind I just started growing last summer, but from what I read and have experienced they like dry feet, hence the heavy mixture of perlite.
my 2c

It's been raining here also for the last 3 week's, no sun at all, my soil is not that pourous (to much water can make rootrot) also having the curly mite problem (i just prune the affected leaf and apply some insectiside), so what i do is repot (make sure the soil dont retain excessive water) them and move them indoor.CMIIW

Last rainy season here in Thailand devastated my potted plants; and a good deal of the country. My "in the ground" plants survived.
This year I'll build a frame and cover with plastic to keep the rain off the plants in pots.

Indo do you use an addition to aid in drainage?

I've been experimenting with soil, my first soil mixed is:

First mix

Not porous enough and a little accidic ( work out great though )
1 part of compost
2 part of cocpeat
1 part of goat manure
sterilized it with hot water pouring(about 70c)

Second mix

what i use now
1 part of compost
1 part of cocopeat
1 part of chaff (only make the soil little porous)
1/2 part is this little volcano rock (this is what make really porous)

After every mix i spray this microbe solution to the soil to richen the sand nutrien and let be for about a week in a close container also giving it a chance to dry a bit.

I know it's kind'a weird, but hey it work on my local variety, i post picture when i can.

The rain can be a real downer here in PNW, for sure. Our climate is mild enough to have a long growing season, but so much outdoor stuff gets rotted out in the spring rain. I try to get around this issue with 'super cloches' (After using 2-liter soda bottles with bottoms cut out for cloches with some success.) The white frames are drinking fountain tubing 5 feet long, with their ends slipped over nails in the frames. The beds are 2 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot (6 cu. feet). When it;s rainy, I slip some 6 mil plastic sheeting stapled into 'domes' over the frames and secure it to the boxes with push pins. Has worked great so far - just be sure to air out periodically, and put a few slug pellets or? to keep from having a population explosion in the warm spring weather! Drainage is key, too.

IMG_8849a.jpg

DSCN1880a.jpg

I also cover my big containers and pots during the off-season to keep the soil from getting hammered and compacted by the heavy rains. In the summer, when I pot on my tomatoes and peppers and other stuff, the soil is nice and fluffy and easy to work.

DSCN1898a.jpg

The rain can be a real downer here in PNW, for sure. Our climate is mild enough to have a long growing season, but so much outdoor stuff gets rotted out in the spring rain.

As an ex-Oregonian (Portland/Astoria) I can attest to that. Good one and exactly what the chili doctor ordered. :beer:

Do you miss the micro-brews? I'd sure like a nice cold San Miguel Dark!

Last rainy season here in Thailand devastated my potted plants; and a good deal of the country. My "in the ground" plants survived.
This year I'll build a frame and cover with plastic to keep the rain off the plants in pots.
Same here Ajarn, the rainy season wiped me out too
I've been experimenting with soil, my first soil mixed is:

First mix

Not porous enough and a little accidic ( work out great though )
1 part of compost
2 part of cocpeat
1 part of goat manure

Second mix

what i use now
1 part of compost
1 part of cocopeat
1 part of chaff (only make the soil little porous)
1/2 part is this little volcano rock (this is what make really porous)

After every mix i spray this microbe solution to the soil to richen the sand nutrien and let be for about a week in a close container also giving it a chance to dry a bit.

I know it's kind'a weird, but hey it work on my local variety, i post picture when i can.
My potting mix was very similar to your second mix.

1 part compost
1 part coco
1 part chaff (rice hulls)
1/2 part river stone

The rainy season here turned into a mushy soup, suffocating my plants. :tear:

That's strange, my potting mix drain well, you see i alway's make the soil with 3 level, the bottom level is the draining level so it drain up quickly (the volcano stone) use plenty of holes (about 4 on the side, and 6 on the bottom), the second level is the chaff, cocopeat, compost, the top level is the chaff. But when the sun is up, it turn into hell for the plant, because it made the water easily vapour.

Do you miss the micro-brews? I'd sure like a nice cold San Miguel Dark!

Indeed I do; Bridgeport, McMenamins, and Rogue Ales were my favorites. I miss stouts and IPA's the most. :beer:

But when the sun is up, it turn into hell for the plant, because it made the water easily vapour.

Humidity; unrelenting humidity, combined with soil wetness damages the roots beyond healing, IMO.

Back