• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Question about roasting pods for powders

I've been making my own powders by just quartering the pods and allowing them to dry in a safe place for a few weeks.  This process is working great for me, but I want to change up my flavors a bit.  My question is, should I roast the peppers before I dry them, or after i dry them? (or does it matter?)

Anyway, just figured I'd see what other have done.  Thanks!

It can be done both ways. I always fire-roast several batches of pods in the fall. All types - anaheims, habs, corno di toros,  bhuts… I've never dried them afterwards, but I'm sure it would turn out great and wouldn't be too hard. But, if I'm making a red sauce, I roast dried red chile pods under the broiler for a bit - until they just start to turn brown and really start to smell awesome. There's no other way I know of to achieve that flavor and aroma.
     Just know that the two processes aren't interchangeable. A roasted, dried pod is very different than a dried, roasted pod. And either way you do it, be careful. The fumes given off from dry superhot pods that have been left under the broiler a little too long are probably about as hard on the eyes as shrapnel from an exploding pod on the grill!  :hot:

Roast how? As job said, before, but I wonder what flavor profile you are going for and whether it can truly be accomplished. I assume you do not have a dehydrator. The cell walls would break and result in a wet object, which you would then dry, unless you mean to roast until dry. Roasting until dry would reduce the color, which is one reason why many of us use a dehydrator on low heat, to retain color. Letting a wet object dry at room temp could invite nasties in (mold, etc.)

That's what I'm curious about geeme.  i don't have a dehydrator.  I'm not really going for any certain flavor, just something different.  I was thinking of cutting the pods into fourths and then throwing them under the broiler for a few minutes, then letting them air dry.  I had not considered the "wet" thing that you are talking about, but I could see how that could cause an issue.  If I was to dry them first then place them under the broiler before I grind them, would that change the flavor?

I had considered putting them in the oven, setting it at it lowest temp and leaving the door cracked for a while?  I may just have to break down and buy a dehydrator if I'm going to keep going through powder like I have been.

If you are thinking of the roasted flavor you get when using fresh peppers, not so sure that is going to carry over in dry. Fire roasted = flavor as does smoking. The best way is to test and document the results. From there you will find what works and what you prefer. 

oCaveman said:
That's what I'm curious about geeme.  i don't have a dehydrator.  I'm not really going for any certain flavor, just something different.  I was thinking of cutting the pods into fourths and then throwing them under the broiler for a few minutes, then letting them air dry. 

Since I know you aren't doing ahaheims or anything mild, a little word of caution. Please do this on a grill and not under the broiler. Your eyes and lungs will thank you later.

oCaveman said:
That's what I'm curious about geeme.  i don't have a dehydrator.  I'm not really going for any certain flavor, just something different.  I was thinking of cutting the pods into fourths and then throwing them under the broiler for a few minutes, then letting them air dry.  I had not considered the "wet" thing that you are talking about, but I could see how that could cause an issue.  If I was to dry them first then place them under the broiler before I grind them, would that change the flavor?

I had considered putting them in the oven, setting it at it lowest temp and leaving the door cracked for a while?  I may just have to break down and buy a dehydrator if I'm going to keep going through powder like I have been.
Buy whatever you can afford, you'll be glad you did and wonder "why did I wait so long?"

oCaveman said:

My buddy and I went halves on a dehydrator from Wally World a few years ago, it's been pumping out jerky and dried fruits and pods ever since!  Definitely worth the money when you look at the time and effort it saves you.

If u grow more than a few plants each year (and let's face it, who of us doesn't), a dehydrator is an invaluable tool, in 2012 I dehydrated more than 50lbs of fresh pods a feat that would have taken forever in the oven, as it was the 5 tier LEM thew little woman got for my birthday that year was running nearly constantly for about a month! But as previously stated, there are some really cool other things to do as well fruit chips, jerkys and if your cut tomatoes in wedges and toss them w/ garlic herbs olive oil and a bit of salt then place them on wax paper and dehydrate about 3/4 of the way they are delicious, like sun dried tomatoes only way cheaper, especially if you grow your own tomatoes and herbs :D

i just got a dehydrator and was thinking about making my own smoked pepper powder, would smoking the dried pods on the grill at low temps with some wood chips work for a smoked flavour?

chile_freak said:
If u grow more than a few plants each year (and let's face it, who of us doesn't), a dehydrator is an invaluable tool, in 2012 I dehydrated more than 50lbs of fresh pods a feat that would have taken forever in the oven, as it was the 5 tier LEM thew little woman got for my birthday that year was running nearly constantly for about a month! But as previously stated, there are some really cool other things to do as well fruit chips, jerkys and if your cut tomatoes in wedges and toss them w/ garlic herbs olive oil and a bit of salt then place them on wax paper and dehydrate about 3/4 of the way they are delicious, like sun dried tomatoes only way cheaper, especially if you grow your own tomatoes and herbs :D
Man that sounds good! I'll be doing the tomato wedges for sure! Thanks bro.

I have two 5 shelf dehydrators that are both going non stop throughout  harvest  time. One of them is at least 10 years old. the other around 5. I imagine together they have been used to dry at least a couple hundred pounds of pods (dried weight). As long as I continue to grow peppers, if and when one of them bites the dust....it will be replaced the next day.
Just like chili freak stated..."its an invaluable tool"

I'd like to hear more, from those with experience, on smoking techniques and practices.
I have smoked pods and then dried them in the dehydrator, but I was never totally happy with the result.

I speculate, that part of my issue is i have only used a smoker that I also use to smoke meats, and to me it seems to affect the texture and leaves the pod a little oily.
CM

Hey CM, I had the same problem for awhile, as both my smokers are used over and over and over again for MEAT! Two ways have worked well for me, dehydrate half way, then smoke, then dehydrate the rest of the way( preferred method) or if I'm feeling lazy, I will leave the pods whole, wrap the whole bundle in several layers of cheese cloth and put them up on the highest rack, and soak the shit out of the wood chips for maximum smoke in shortest amount of time, of course I never try to smoke more than a few pounds at a time for dehydrating, now if I'm making my smoked red habanero BBQ sauce, I smoke um up to pieces w/ the onions garlic and tomatoes, so I don't care how oily, or mushy they get they're going straight in a sauce!
Oh PS if you don't have cheesecloth, tinfoil works if you take a kebob skewer and poke a bunch of holes.
Oh dang I forgot to answer the other part of the question, fully dried pods will retain a hint of smoke flavor, but for deep rich smoky goodness, you need to have looser pores in the flesh, as they dehydrate, the skin gets super tough and the smoke doesn't permeate as well!
And speaking of invaluable tools, thanks to you and rocket man for the fermenting thread, I've made pickles and sauerkraut and preserved lemons and such in my time as a chef, but I had never made fermented hot sauce, now I do it several times a year thanks again!

Greetings Chili freak,
Thanks for the smoking input. Your technique sounds like a winner to me, and the cheesecloth really make sense!
I agree that if the pods I'm smoking are going into a cooked sauce, I don't care how greasy that become because I'm really just cooking them anyway.
But I really like to use dried flakes in my varied kimchi concoctions. I just like the way they allow the flavors to meld with the cabbages and diakon radish. Much different and more depth than fresh pods IMO.
I will be picking pick up some red habs and crank up the ole smoker this weekend..... I'm getting low on kimchi and have all the makings in waiting.

And as for the fermenting 101 thread, coming from a chef,I truly appreciate your kind words.
I don't think RM and I ever dreamed that thread would become as referenced and highly appreciated as it has.     At the time we both were actively posting fermenting topics, and while our recipes and approach to fermenting differ somewhat, we were answering the same questions repeatedly.      The "fermenting 101" thread was RM's brainchild and he graciously contacted me asking me to contribute and critique the final content before posting. I tip my hat to him for having the insight and acting upon it. He's a knowledgeable "chili head" and gentleman...and has my utmost respect and admiration.
CM

If you're going to use your grill, build a very small fire off to one side or corner. If you're forced to use the small chips (I prefer large chunks), soak them for a couple hours, then place them in a foil packet with a few vent holes poked in the top, then set the packet on your coals.

Don't worry if it doesn't start smoking right away. This will give the pods time to dry out a bit so they more readily accept the smoke, plus it won't give you that wet/smoke flavor. yuck

Low and slow is the key.

Back