• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Question about scoville

JoynersHotPeppers said:
And to think, they wanted 25 pounds of my powder a week? No idea how many meals it would take to make that eatable!!!!

They are all still confused and bewildered in Colorado. There heads are still spinning from the recall election earlier this week. 

From Chris' Denver link

With each entree, you can opt for three sauces for dipping. They are ranked by one through four stars, with more stars denoting hotter sauces. A few that rank high in the heat index: Hudson barrel hot sauce with red fresno chilies, onion and garlic packed in vinegar, and then whiskey-barrel aged for 60 days garners four stars. Sunset hot sauce with habanero chilies, onion, garlic, cayenne, chili powder, lime has three stars. Smoked-habanero salsa with habanero chilies, red onion, tomato and lime also has three stars. 

It sure is good to know that Fresno peppers are hotter than Habs.  better write that down so I don't forget. :rolleyes: 

I repeat my earlier comment that they are still confused up there in the mile HIGH city. 

Me thinks the author that wrote the story is an absolute DUMBASS.
Hard to take notes for an article, while Tittering, Texting, FaceBooking, and checking your eHarmony.com responses.

Well if there's one hab in the hab sauce and 100 fresnos in the fresno sauce, for 2 gallons of sauce in a tomato base, the fresno sauce is hotter.

Annnnnnnnnnnd we're back on topic :lol:

OH NO WE ARE NOT!

Scoville Heat Units are a ting of the past...

My "Reaper" is hotter than anything on planet earth. Just dont eat a single one on a 18" pizza. Just eat it WHOLE!

I think the confusion in this discussion lies in the fact that people sometimes (incorrectly) think of the scoville heat scale as a measure of quantity (mass), rather than a measure of concentration (mass per unit mass). 
     If I have two jalapenos in my hand with ratings of 5000 shu each, that doesn't mean I have a quantity of 10,000 shu in my hand. It means I have two units of 5000 shu jalapeno peppers. Ican't combine the 5000 shu, because the concentration of capsaicin (scoville heat units) in your hand is still the same as one pepper. The quantity of capsaicin has doubled, but so did the quantity of water and solids - so the concentration of capsaicin stayed the same. 
     If you put one bhut on a pizza, the pizza is acting like all the water and other solids in a jalapeno. As far as the scoville heat scale is concerned, they're both just filler - diluting the capsaicin of the pepper. As far as the concentration of capsaicin goes in each case, a jalapeno's shu might equal the "shu" of one pizza + one bhut. 

I think...    :scared:

dash 2 said:
I think the confusion in this discussion lies in the fact that people sometimes (incorrectly) think of the scoville heat scale as a measure of quantity (mass), rather than a measure of concentration (mass per unit mass). 
     If I have two jalapenos in my hand with ratings of 5000 shu each, that doesn't mean I have a quantity of 10,000 shu in my hand. It means I have two units of 5000 shu jalapeno peppers. Ican't combine the 5000 shu, because the concentration of capsaicin (scoville heat units) in your hand is still the same as one pepper. The quantity of capsaicin has doubled, but so did the quantity of water and solids - so the concentration of capsaicin stayed the same. 
     If you put one bhut on a pizza, the pizza is acting like all the water and other solids in a jalapeno. As far as the scoville heat scale is concerned, they're both just filler - diluting the capsaicin of the pepper. As far as the concentration of capsaicin goes in each case, a jalapeno's shu might equal the "shu" of one pizza + :scared:

dash 2 said:
     If you put one bhut on a pizza, the pizza is acting like all the water and other solids in a jalapeno. As far as the scoville heat scale is concerned, they're both just filler - diluting the capsaicin of the pepper. As far as the concentration of capsaicin goes in each case, a jalapeno's shu might equal the "shu" of one pizza + one bhut. 

I think...    :scared:

Yup. 
You stated it a little more elegantly than I did in post 28 but we are saying basically the same thing. . 

So if I have a pizza with 1 million schovilles worth of peppers, and then add another 1 million worth of peppers, I would then have 2 million schovilles worth of capsicum? Until I factor in the mass of the pizza itself ( considering water content, dry mass, etc. ) and then put it in a blender, it will now be 50 thousand schovilles? ( by dilution ) and then the pizza would be less than I started with?? I dont know if that makes sense, let me start over. So if Michealangelo makes an ice cream and anchovie pizza, then adds a Peter Pepper to it it would now be about 15,000 schovilles of capsicum by volume, and then he puts another 5 Peters on it, it would now be  1500000000? I dont know, that is what my windows calculator comes up with. Doesn't sound right to me. It is all determined by the overall mass that would go inta tha blender or on a scale, right?

-Krang

If I have one pitcher of really sour lemonade, then grab another pitcher of equally sour lemonade, the strength of my lemonade (shu) is still the same. The quantity of lemon juice has doubled, but so has the quantity of water and sugar. 
     Higher total capsaicin does not directly correlate to higher shu, without taking into account the volume of other stuff into which the capsaicin is diluted.
     Great. Not only am I hungry for spicy pizza (I like anchovies, but hold the ice cream...), but now I want some lemonade to wash it down!

PepperDaddler said:
So if I have a pizza with 1 million schovilles worth of peppers, and then add another 1 million worth of peppers, I would then have 2 million schovilles worth of capsicum? Until I factor in the mass of the pizza itself ( considering water content, dry mass, etc. ) and then put it in a blender, it will now be 50 thousand schovilles? ( by dilution ) and then the pizza would be less than I started with?? I dont know if that makes sense, let me start over. So if Michealangelo makes an ice cream and anchovie pizza, then adds a Peter Pepper to it it would now be about 15,000 schovilles of capsicum by volume, and then he puts another 5 Peters on it, it would now be  1500000000? I dont know, that is what my windows calculator comes up with. Doesn't sound right to me. It is all determined by the overall mass that would go inta tha blender or on a scale, right?

-Krang
lol

Is it an 8" personal cheese pizza OR, a Family size deep dish, Pepperoni, mushroom, black olive, canadian bacon, Onion, Sausage, Pineapple, extra cheese 20 incher?

Jeff H said:

Yup. 

I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting anyone. Now that I re-read your post, you're spot on. I think I missed it last night after I started having scary flashbacks from quantitative analysis. I'm actually kind surprised any of this is making sense to me after almost destroying the lab and killing some other students. I guess that D+ I earned was worth something after all!   :party:

dash 2 said:
If I have one pitcher of really sour lemonade, then grab another pitcher of equally sour lemonade, the strength of my lemonade (shu) is still the same. The quantity of lemon juice has doubled, but so has the quantity of water and sugar. 
     Higher total capsaicin does not directly correlate to higher shu, without taking into account the volume of other stuff into which the capsaicin is diluted.
     Great. Not only am I hungry for spicy pizza (I like anchovies, but hold the ice cream...), but now I want some lemonade to wash it down!
Oh my, If I burn myself with a match, will it hurt worse than if I am standing in the middle of a forest fire?
and thanks, dammit... I am thirsty for lemonade too.

You guys are talking "SHU of pizza" and I am talking "SHU of peppers" so we are answering differently, and both are correct, but it is more accurate to state the SHU of peppers only.

You don't eat blended pizza, so stop putting that pizza in a blender! lol. You put a moruga on a pizza, and blend it, yeah, we don't even have to talk about multiple peppers here, if you were to get the mush tested, it would be damn near 0 SHU, and you wouldn't taste it or feel it.

But slice that moruga into rings, and put it on the pizza, and I bet your damn ass when a solid ring touches the roof of your mouth, you will feel the SHU of the moruga.

If you are talking curry, jerk sauce, etc, things you eat blended, sure. Test it. But then there's also chicken in there. Oops. So do we have to blend it to see the real SHU of the curry? No, because the chunks of chicken hit your mouth separately. Just like the toppings on the pizza.

No need to test an actual food unless that food we eat is blended already, unless you really want to get into factors, like guessing how the mass added by the addition of food affects the solid ring touching the roof of the mouth, drinking beer whilst eating said pizza , X 67883332 -9, divided by 4, lol.

Blended pizza makes no sense. We don't eat blended pizza. Sober.

EVERY pepper has cap, pure cap crystal is 17 mil, it is HOW MUCH of that cap is in the pepper and how it is distributed to its cells. Double the peppers. Double the cap. Are the peppers still solid? Yes. The slice is still a burst of cap but you guys are distributing it into the mush. If you eat a sub with banana peppers, you will feel them, as those rings of peppers hit the roof of your mouth, etc. Blend that sub into a mush, and you change the whole dynamic. Nobody eats sub pudding. So why rate it?

I can see why you did that. That's what he asked. But it's not a curry. We don't eat blended pizza. So I answered in "SHUs of peppers." That is really the only way. You have to say "of peppers in it, on it" etc.

Back