food Question for the Chefs / cooks

Anyone a sushi chef?

Anyone host a sushi party?

Tell me (specifically about your rice)

Tell me about what knives you use/like for this.

Tell me about your "special roll"

I have a nice Henkle knife, but envy the sushi chefs with their long razor sharp knives.

I use the vinegar with sugar added to make the rice (I've done a few parties)

5649_1070210202666_761451_n_zps0c2ec748.jpg

I like to experiment with the sauces. Sadly did not write anything down.

LETS HEAR ABOUT YOUR SUSHI

I bought a sushi knife to start making it but I have yet to get started lol. I've watched lots of youtube videos. Yours looks really good what time is dinner ?

sicman said:
I have nothing besides when you inviting me to a sushi party.
Come on over sir
SavinaRed said:
I bought a sushi knife to start making it but I have yet to get started lol. I've watched lots of youtube videos. Yours looks really good what time is dinner ?
A few more and the party is on

I started making my own sushi about about 5 years ago. Actually, I became interested in making it even before I tried it. So before investing any $$$ in a venture I may not have a palette for, I visited a local Japanese restaurant, tried a assortment platter, and have been making it ever since. I make my sushi rice with rice vinegar, salt and sugar. I refuse to use the ready packets of sushi rice seasoning as well as any other shortcut with the exception of a rice cooker.
 My sushi rice is mixed in a bamboo hangiri with bamboo utensils and comes out perfect or I reject it. I have a cheap sashimi knife $45.00 as I do not have an extra $3,000.00 for a nice Japanese made knife. And yes, the knife design does aid in the cutting of sashimi and the rolls.
  I have made your standard maki rolls, spicy tuna rolls, California rolls and even tried the caterpillar roll minus the extras just for technique. Finding the properly ripened avocado to be a real challenge, at least around here. I have made sushi and taken it to gatherings not particularly a sushi party and have been complimented on the quality of my sushi being equal to that made in Japan. I take EXTREME pride in my sushi and it shows in the final product. My favorite sushi is nigiri sushi with yellow tail.

Later tonight, I will post a pic of all my sushi tools.

CAPCOM said:
 I started making my own sushi about about 5 years ago. Actually, I became interested in making it even before I tried it. So before investing any $$$ in a venture I may not have a palette for, I visited a local Japanese restaurant, tried a assortment platter, and have been making it ever since. I make my sushi rice with rice vinegar, salt and sugar. I refuse to use the ready packets of sushi rice seasoning as well as any other shortcut with the exception of a rice cooker.
 My sushi rice is mixed in a bamboo hangiri with bamboo utensils and comes out perfect or I reject it. I have a cheap sashimi knife $45.00 as I do not have an extra $3,000.00 for a nice Japanese made knife. And yes, the knife design does aid in the cutting of sashimi and the rolls.
  I have made your standard maki rolls, spicy tuna rolls, California rolls and even tried the caterpillar roll minus the extras just for technique. Finding the properly ripened avocado to be a real challenge, at least around here. I have made sushi and taken it to gatherings not particularly a sushi party and have been complimented on the quality of my sushi being equal to that made in Japan. I take EXTREME pride in my sushi and it shows in the final product. My favorite sushi is nigiri sushi with yellow tail.

Later tonight, I will post a pic of all my sushi tools.
break out some pics !!!!!

I too am a huge fan of Hamachi.

I spent time in Japan while in the Navy and thus adore all things asain.

Can a person find a good sushi knife that doesn't run 3k?

Rymerpt said:

I suppose you could find a good knife for under that. Mine works, but I am an absolute fool for Japanese steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIr6rEndy0A

Keep in mind however, if $$$ was no object, my sushi knife would be the cats meow.

This is generally what I use when I make my sushi. However, there is something missing. something very important. first person to post what it is that is missing will get 6 Mutt seeds. they something that I got from Pepper Joes that were not what they were supposed to be. but the were super hots and very tasty.

This thread has got me thinking Sushi now. And it has been a while since I have gotten a chance to make some. I have to drive 45 mins to get my sashimi fish and to pick up what is missing from the pic, or I should say(what was borrowed).

So, the party is on, If nothing unforeseen comes up, Im am making sushi Saturday, Yes, I will post pics. simple maki rolls, California style spicy tuna roll, nigiri sushi and maybe something else if I get the urge to be adventurous.

20150308_222325.jpg

And a close up of my knife.

20150308_222416.jpg

Oh, and only one guess.

Ok im seeing tools in the pic so I'm guessing a tool is missing. That tool would be a flexable bambo roll making mat.( official guess )

4040_zps7688c8df.jpg

If you are speaking of a very important ingrediant then I would say it is the dried seaweed that is placed in the rice while it cooks. (Kombu)

My 14 year old makes his own sushi. After several experiments he found the jasmin rice we often cook with works just as well the as supposedly special rice for sushi we bought at the asian market. He doesn't use any particular knife when cutting and it all works out great. Definitely need a bamboo wrapper like the one above.

Rymerpt said:
Ok im seeing tools in the pic so I'm guessing a tool is missing. That tool would be a flexable bambo roll making mat.( official guess )
4040_zps7688c8df.jpg

If you are speaking of a very important ingrediant then I would say it is the dried seaweed that is placed in the rice while it cooks. (Kombu)

Winner winner,chicken dinner!
Jamison said:
If im correct, Jedisushi is a sushi chef. He'll probably chime in.
I was expecting that sooner than this, must be tied up.

Rymerpt said:
Have you looked into a Shun blade I love mine and they a relatively inexpensive for the quality not cheap but within reach of most pockets :).
Beautiful blade CAPCOM!!!!!!!!!!! Who makes that? :)

I really don't even know. It's a plain Jane blade that works, that's about it. It is very sharp. It will cut through a sheet of paper with no effort if you use that as a measurement of sharpness. But it also does a fine job on fish. As you will see next week.

Originally posted in the Asian Throwdown.....

Here's a list of (main)ingredients.....put together in various combinations. (it was dark.....nobody knows for sure what happened):

-Lobster
-Snow crab
-Salmon
-Avocado
-Cream cheese
-Carrot
-Cucumber
-Red Pepper
-Jalapeno
-Habanero
-Nori
-Rice
-Beer (hey....how did that.....nevermind.)
-Stuff
-More neat stuff
-Stuff to go on the stuff

.....just go look at the dang teaser.

I have 50 or more photos...and there's NO WAY to show all I'd like in ten photos. So, if anyone doubts I made any part of this....I have photographic proof available upon request.

Oh look!...here's something different. It's a wrapped and deep-fried lobster maki:

100_4035.jpg

100_4036.jpg

More on that here in a sec...

Here's two hours worth of work:

100_4040.jpg

This is me.....being......me:

100_4043.jpg

More of the plating cause it's far more interesting than the goof in the red shirt:

100_4044.jpg

100_4047.jpg

Closeups:

100_4048.jpg

100_4050.jpg

THIS is the Mother's Day nigiri. It's a WHOLE lobster tail!

100_4052.jpg

Happy Mother's Day, Retta!!

100_4053.jpg

ta-da. 

Back