• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Question for the experts.Heat and seeds?

I just moved my grow station into the garage and its about 80 degrees inside the garage.I pluged in my heat mats and didn't even think about how hot it would get.and i checked it was over 100 degrees inside my jiffy grow box.SO THE QUESTION IS, ARE MY SEEDS TOAST..I have since removed the mats and everything is about 80 degrees now,but is it to late for the seeds??

They might still be ok. Just try to keep them around the 80 to 85 degree mark and keep an eye out. I have done that before and they were at 100 degrees for about 3 days and still had about 85% germination. Best of luck!

I have the same jiffy box thing and it never even dawned on me that with the heat mat plugged in, on top of my cabinets in the kitchen, in HAWAII, in the SUMMER...it might be too hot...FACK!! Im at work now so theres not much I can do from here. GRRRR :(

cjbrewer5 said:
They might still be ok. Just try to keep them around the 80 to 85 degree mark and keep an eye out. I have done that before and they were at 100 degrees for about 3 days and still had about 85% germination. Best of luck!

well that make me feel good.
Thanks

Justinero said:
I just moved my grow station into the garage and its about 80 degrees inside the garage.I pluged in my heat mats and didn't even think about how hot it would get.and i checked it was over 100 degrees inside my jiffy grow box.SO THE QUESTION IS, ARE MY SEEDS TOAST..I have since removed the mats and everything is about 80 degrees now,but is it to late for the seeds??

Please keep enough moisture and ventilation .
Year before last, I lost a batch in similar heat where there was no air circulation and moisture in the grow pots was dpleted due to this fact.

NJA

I'm voting for cooked, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully you didn't used up all of your seeds. Seed mats will raise the ambient temperature 10-20 degrees!

Dont give up just yet...i thought the same thing and i looked about 10 minutes ago and found a few sprouting!! Keep em warm and wet...give it some time!!

Me too. Just moved 3 Morouga and an azz load of habs out of the jiffy container, out to the porch for some sunshine!

seeds germinate in areas where temps reach above 100degrees soo i wouldnt give up on them in a few weeks atleast if not one has sprouted u may have a problem

Back