• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Question for the proficient

I've been making fermented sauce for several years now, whip it up in the blender, strain and bottle. This year I tried xanthan gum for the first time and it works well to keep the sauce from separating and if I get heavy handed as a thickener.. I also tried something new this year, I dehydrated the mash left in the strainer and then ground it.......

Here's my question;

Has anyone ever mixed the ground-n-dried mash into their sauce?

What affect does it have, ie; pH, Will it still separate without xanthan gum, does the taste vary quite a bit?   

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got a couple quart jars of powdered pepper mash and more ferments ready to process...

I've done something similar... ish. I more fermented powders themselves; it was cayenne and red-pepper flake. Worked out just fine. I'd imagine you'll still need that xanthan gum. I know I did. Perhaps more than you anticipate; after a while it seems to be separating in my experience. pH came out fine.

My specific ferment came out tasting sort of sweet and fruity, which was odd.

Reactions: Tod
Pharthan said:
I've done something similar... ish. I more fermented powders themselves; it was cayenne and red-pepper flake. Worked out just fine. I'd imagine you'll still need that xanthan gum. I know I did. Perhaps more than you anticipate; after a while it seems to be separating in my experience. pH came out fine.

My specific ferment came out tasting sort of sweet and fruity, which was odd.

Thanks!

I wonder about the mash I'm planning to use since it was fermented once..

I'm going to try a few bottles and see..

I'm not sure why you would want to mix back in the dehydrated 'tailings',  maybe to thicken it back up???

What a lot of folks do is-
run the blendered fermented sauce through a fine mesh FOOD MILL.  This gets the maximum amount of pulp into the sauce.  Probably more than what you may be getting by straining.  Then use a bit of xanthan if you feel it's needed.  Most sauces will separate.  I'd guess even your sauce with the dried stuff added back in would separate without xanthan or other thickeners like yam, apple, carrot.

A great use for the dried stuff is to give it a couple blitzes in a food processor, finish consistency is up to you.  Then mix it with some salt and herbs/spices to make really good seasoning blends.  Mix it with fine sea salt, fine ground tailings and fine ground spices (granulated onion, garlic, etc) for an easily shake-able spice blend.  If you have a salt/spice/pepper grinder available, use coarse sea salt, coarser/flaky tailings and minced dried spices and grind as needed.

Have Fun!
SL 

For anyone interested.

I made another batch of sauce today and used about 3/4 cup of ground tailings in 1/2 a gallon of strained sauce.

I added it to a quart first and gave it a whirl in the blender to see if I noticed any effect to the flavor, i couldn't notice a difference between quarts so I mixed 'em together and bottled.

Back