• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Question for THPers from NM, AZ, and UT

Hey THP,

I am flying into Albuquerque and taking a 5 day road trip up through Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and ultimately flying out of Salt Lake City. It's me and my buddy and we don't have any true plans. It's going to be quite an adventure. Do you have any recommendations of (preferably cheap) places to eat, beers to drink, sights to see, or towns to check out? I'm hoping for a trip that falls somewhere between On The Road and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Thanks in advance

Hey BigPhil. I don't know about places to stop for eats, etc. along the way, but, I suggest getting to Bryce Canyon and Zion as quick as possible. If you just do the tourist drive by thing, Bryce can take most of the day. You want to spend at least a day and a half there so you can get in and hike some of it. Zion is the same story, spend at least a day and a half. At Zion, the tourist quickie visit gets you in the park and a bus takes you to just a small part of it (takes half a day). You need at least 1 full day of hiking to get a better look at Zion. Both parks are some of the most stunning, colorful places you will ever see. I made the mistake of only giving myself a little under 2 days to see Bryce and Zion and now one of my biggest goals is to get back and hike at least a couple days in each park. Seeing these parks from a distance in a car like most tourists is pretty cool. Hiking deeper into the parks and experiencing them on foot will be one of the most amazing outdoor experiences of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures!

Hey BigPhil. Our last few responses disappeared with the server issue. If you did not see this before, make sure in Albuquerque to stop by Sadie's Restaurant for lunch or dinner. They are one of the few places not afraid to serve their food hot. Get the red and green chile and tell them to pour it on. Here you will get a great idea why New Mexican food is so good. Have fun!

Hey BigPhil. Our last few responses disappeared with the server issue. If you did not see this before, make sure in Albuquerque to stop by Sadie's Restaurant for lunch or dinner. They are one of the few places not afraid to serve their food hot. Get the red and green chile and tell them to pour it on. Here you will get a great idea why New Mexican food is so good. Have fun!

Awesome, thank you. I lost some PMs from Wasatch too. If you're out there, I'll get in touch when I have more details about my trip.

BigPhilMD, here is a teaser pic of what's in store for you at Bryce Canyon.

Screenshot2011-08-15at81247PM.png

I put up a post, but it got deleted.

Zion - Angels Landing, Hidden Canyon

Bryce - Queens Garden, Peekaboo Loop, Fairysland

Flying out to ABQ tomorrow. Anyone having a party I can crash?

Good luck! You are going through ABQ at a good time (peak of the chile season). You should load up on some chiles. Compared to the price of the superhots, they are almost free. Take lots of pics.

Good luck! You are going through ABQ at a good time (peak of the chile season). You should load up on some chiles. Compared to the price of the superhots, they are almost free. Take lots of pics.

Good to know! I'm going to take a ton of pictures. So when you say load up on chiles, you're talking about dried chiles, right? I guess I could grab some fresh ones and fly home with them. It just seems weird to travel with produce.

Many people fly out of ABQ with fresh chiles. Get powder, fresh, or dried red pods. You can carry on or check some on in a box or in a bag. For many years I used to check whole 40 lb sacks of fresh chiles at the ticket counter or with the skycaps. Not sure if they still allow that. I am retired from the airline business now and am not up to date on checking sacks of chiles at the counter.

Back